Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   HID for fogs (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195197)

Animalz 10-23-2012 07:40 AM

HID for fogs

Ok, I have been reading a bunch of posts about people switching to HIDs for there fog lights. I would like to do this but im not sure where to buy the HID kit from or what type I need. Can someone please posts some links to send me in the right direction? Thanks for any help!

BAC5.2 10-23-2012 07:54 AM

Want to go in the right direction? Don't put HID's in your fog lights.

xero287 10-23-2012 07:55 AM

I purposely didn't reply in anticipation of your arrival.

sko 10-23-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4126470)

Harsh.

PrimO 10-25-2012 08:10 AM

You need H3 bulbs and you can buy any generic H3 HID kit you wish, just make sure you get one with slim ballasts as they take up less room.

BarManBean 10-25-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4126470)

I don't really know why people say this...? The fogs generally suck anyways, so why not replace them? Granted, they still won't be good foglights if you go HID, but they would be extra light output for sure.

MNRZR 10-25-2012 09:49 AM

I've had good luck with DDM Tuning's slim ballast kits. Reasonable price too.

DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit

I prefer 3000K for fog lights.

dingbang 10-25-2012 10:26 AM

Go yellow for fogs if you swap to HID in there...then at least you'll be doing something a little more usable instead of just making it 'bright'

eljefe1981 11-17-2012 12:34 AM

Why not make it brighter? Isn't it the point of HID?

xero287 11-17-2012 06:45 AM

Oh boy.

Roche 11-17-2012 10:13 AM

DDM Tuning is a good place to get them. I'd stick with yellow though, maybe a 3k.

mikeyvt 11-18-2012 09:31 PM

I put 3k in my fogs because it wasn't too expensive. The fogs do suck though and the output isn't the greatest. Until I find a good replacement to take the stock location fog light I'll just stick with my hid.

BAC5.2 11-18-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4129857)
I don't really know why people say this...? The fogs generally suck anyways, so why not replace them? Granted, they still won't be good foglights if you go HID, but they would be extra light output for sure.

There are fundamental reasons for fog lights not being brighter than the sun.

Output from an HID source will dump MUCH more light into a projector ABSOLUTELY not designed for it. In projector headlights, this isn't a HUGE issue. The design of a projector can put light where it needs to go nearly independent of the output source. Headlights, unlike fog lights, are designed to throw that light a great distance. Increasing lumen output in a headlight just throws more light in approximately the same locations.

But in a fog light, especially a projector fog, that added output does very little other than increase scatter against fog and snow. What you end up with, is getting blinded.

OK, so don't use your fog lights in the fog, right?

Well that's not such a good idea either. Fog lights have a wide spread, very close to the front of the car. This is exactly what you want in a fog light. It's exactly what you DON'T want in a driving light. So now you have enormous light saturation, very close to the front of the car, and for a relatively short distance.

From a night-driving performance standpoint, this is the trifecta of shitty light design. All it serves to do, is draw your eyes off the distance and to the very front of the car. Exactly what you don't want to do when you are trying to see.

If you want driving lights, get driving lights. Don't put HID's in your fog lights. The only purpose it will serve, is looking "cool" in parking lots.

Grimmrican 11-18-2012 10:18 PM

Nice write up. Def answered all my questions. Thanx man

famaya26 11-18-2012 10:33 PM

Bac would you say Yellow Tint instead of HID, or just leave it alone?