Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Naturally Aspirated Powertrains (2.5i, 3.0R, 3.6R)) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   n00b with upgrades (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195168)

uncledoobie 10-22-2012 05:03 PM

n00b with upgrades
 
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here after reading up on some things, and I didn't necessarily want to threadjack some of the other on-going topics, as I've got some questions of my own. I just recently bought a 2010 legacy 2.5i premium with 28k miles on it, CPO, and have been interested in tinkering with it since I'm a tinkerer by nature. However, because this is my car and I rely on it to do a lot of things in life, I'm a bit nervous about messing around with it. But, by nature, my mantra is if it's broken, fix it. If it's not, it can go faster.

That being said, I'm interested in modding the subie, but have an innate fear of it blowing up on me as I'm driving to work, or even worse, out to Vegas or Norcal on a long road trip (I currently live in Socal).

I read the thread on quick cheap mods to start out with, which I feel pretty comfortable doing, but what I really want to know is the following:

How long and much time / effort does it take to start getting into deeper mods? I read the post on the Rallisport UEL Headers and Magnaflow exhaust, and those sound pretty awesome. Do I need to have a lifetime of being under the hood to know how to do all that? I figure if something goes wrong, the car will tell me first more or less (odd sounds, etc), right?

What's the best way to ease into taking on mods? And lastly, is it even worth it since it was a CPO and has a powertrain warranty for another 60k miles?

GEE-OTTO 10-24-2012 07:46 AM

Luckily for you no engine mods exist :lol: But you can tighten up the suspension, tint, wheels (save some unsprung weight).You could add a full or axleback exhaust. Rallisport v2's haven't been tested yet and if so no idea how that woudl trow off the emissions, which would result in a problem, which the dealer would deny b/c you added hardware that causes the PZEV hard/software combination to not be effective.

There are tuning options but they may result in warranty claim denials. You bought a car that never built up an aftermarket following or owner pool that desires to "take it the next level".

uncledoobie 10-24-2012 04:41 PM

ugh, what a shame. the car seems like it has so much potential. Coming from an 07 impreza, I wanted something that was a little bit more mature looking with the capability of doing some pretty fun stuff under the hood. oh well...guess i'll just have to sit and wait it out.

GEE-OTTO 10-24-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncledoobie (Post 4129225)
ugh, what a shame. the car seems like it has so much potential. Coming from an 07 impreza, I wanted something that was a little bit more mature looking with the capability of doing some pretty fun stuff under the hood. oh well...guess i'll just have to sit and wait it out.


Hey you upgraded your vehicular status that is worth something. Funny thing is there are many more mods (power, suspension, bling) available for your Impreza :redface: Who needs a AVO turbo, Raptor SC, heads, AccessPort or full exhasut anyway :wub:

Youve got handsfree and a CVT or 6MT

uncledoobie 10-24-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO (Post 4129448)
Hey you upgraded your vehicular status that is worth something. Funny thing is there are many more mods (power, suspension, bling) available for your Impreza :redface: Who needs a AVO turbo, Raptor SC, heads, AccessPort or full exhasut anyway :wub:

Youve got handsfree and a CVT or 6MT

Ha don't remind me. As much as the CVT can be fun (I'm actually pretty pleased by how fast the paddles react), I miss the barebones, and much more pure experience of the 5MT I had in my base impreza.

In the meantime I'll just go back to the original (pipe) dream of putting a LS1 into a 1985.5 Porsche 944.

pansontw 10-25-2012 04:39 AM

Don't forget throttle controller which is especially good for NA owners.

GEE-OTTO 10-25-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncledoobie (Post 4129669)
Ha don't remind me. As much as the CVT can be fun (I'm actually pretty pleased by how fast the paddles react), I miss the barebones, and much more pure experience of the 5MT I had in my base impreza.

In the meantime I'll just go back to the original (pipe) dream of putting a LS1 into a 1985.5 Porsche 944.

Dont taint that car with American muscle :lol:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:32 AM.


LegacyGT.com