Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Tire rotation (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194894)

computersoc 10-17-2012 02:07 PM

Tire rotation

Dealer charges $47 plus tax for tire rotation. This seems steep, isn't it? They say that regular chain shops (Goodyear, PepBoys, etc) can't do it because they can't reset the tire pressure code or something like that. Sounds like a line of bull. What are your thoughts?

Slider 10-17-2012 02:09 PM

Take it to Discount and have them do it. You don't need to use your dealer for tires or TPMS.

computersoc 10-17-2012 02:11 PM

What is Discount?

What *should* a tire rotation cost?

TheOneDoubleN 10-17-2012 02:14 PM

Discount tire center is what he was referring to, but anywhere can do a tire rotation.

Rotating has nothing to do with tpms. Even changing tires entirely has nothing to do with TPMS. The only time you would need to worry about TPMS is if you were changing wheels, since the TPMS sensors are inside the valve stems in the wheels.

Dealer is feeding you bullshit, and $50 is way too much for a tire rotation. $20 or around there is more reasonable.

acumenhokie 10-17-2012 02:17 PM

I got my tires rotated two months ago at my mechanic/tuner. It was $17.99 labor and $6 parts (wheel weights).

computersoc 10-17-2012 02:32 PM

Do the tires have to be re-balanced? Car has 16,000 miles on it. Bought it new in January. Last rotation was around 8000 that the dealer did for free.

Drift Motion 10-17-2012 02:34 PM

just jack up the car, swap the wheels...not that hard...

rebalancing is not necessary, but good to have

if you bought tires from Discount Tires/America's Tire, they'll rotate/rebalance the wheels for you for free

minuccims 10-17-2012 03:40 PM

You can rotate tires with your spare tire, car's jack, and 2x4s for under some tires if you don't have all the stuff.

TheOneDoubleN 10-17-2012 04:01 PM

Eh, some people aren't comfortable with removing and installing wheels, that's understandable.

Rebalancing is never necessary unless you're having some unusual vibration which would indicate that the wheel is out of balance.

10legacy 10-18-2012 06:33 AM

most places around here charge $15 to $20 a tire rotation is pretty easy and shouldn't cost nearly as much as the dealer is charging. My dealer charges about $25 if you get an oil change which isn't too bad.

Fraugher 10-19-2012 10:55 AM

I have a Honda that has individual indentification for all 4 wheels, so a rotation requires flashing the TPMS. Obviously mine is not professional advice, but the Legacy does not care what position the TPMS monitors are in, otherwise your TPMS light would come on when you rotate... if it doesn't you are golden. And BTW, any decent shop has the hardware to flash your TPMS.

TitoBandito 10-19-2012 11:07 AM

$20 is probably about average for a tire rotation. Your TPMS sensors do track which corner they sit on but will not throw a light after a rotate.

However if a code is thrown for a sensor error (i.e. sensor no seen by tpms module) and the sensors where no initialized after the rotate they will show as being in their old locations possible making the technician's life harder :lol:

That being said, $47 dollars is way too much for a rotate and you cannot tax labor, which is all a rotate is.

computersoc 10-19-2012 02:38 PM

PepBoys said they'll do it for $9.99. Appointment for next week. :)

abody 10-20-2012 02:29 PM

had a coupon for 9.99 at the subaru dealer, couldn't pass that up 2 weeks ago, they have subaru among several other makes there.always have coupons

Almatti 10-21-2012 06:02 AM

computersoc: Mavis Discount Tire is one discount center. Try a combo deal - Oil/filter change with tire rotation. Many Subaru Dealers or Discount Chains will do it with special pricing. Just beware of the "you need to do this too" advise (brakes pads & rotors, other fluid changes [if they really are not due], wheels alignments [that's a popular PUSH on when you do rotations at certain mileage]. How many miles on your car?