Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-purchase Questions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Outback XT respond to same mods as LGT? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194650)

PrelateBishop 10-12-2012 07:20 PM

Outback XT respond to same mods as LGT?
 
Looking at a 2009 OBXT. Are all/most of the performance mods available for the LGT also applicable to the Outback? Specifically I'm interested in ECU tunes and suspension upgrades.

I also posted in the model specific forum, but that section doesn't seem to get much love.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my DROID

BAC5.2 10-12-2012 07:30 PM

Most are directly swappable, with some minor differences.

LosAngelesLGT 10-12-2012 07:45 PM

Basically the same. What are you looking to do? My wife is very happy with her setup (sans struts which we are sorting out):
06 OBXT
Stage 1 tune (keep her 100% smog legal in CA)
KillerB Oil Pickup (if you ever drop the oil pan, DO A PICKUP!)
AVO Rear Swaybar Mounts (must have, oem mounts will bend too easily)
Hotchkis Swaybars Front and Rear
Kartboy Endlinks (absolutely need for RSB with OBXT, can get away with OEM on front and you will need the spacers in the link kit)
Magnaflow Catback (for rumble, no gains at stage 1, minimal at stage 2)
IP&T Turbo oil supply line (overkill, got it so I can check the filter easily and frequently)

I suggest for you to start with

CNT Catted DP (check IPT for a automatic or manual pipe per your car)
Stage 2 tune
F & R Swaybars (of your choice, Ive been very happy with Hotchkis and Cusco)
AVO RSB Mount
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...gacy-GT/Detail
Kartboy Endlinks (rear)
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...way-Bar/Detail

And see if you really want anything else. That will give you a LOT more power, will get rid of the wallowing, rolly feel in turns and will give you great turn in instead of UNDER steer.

PrelateBishop 10-12-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 4112779)
Basically the same. What are you looking to do? My wife is very happy with her setup (sans struts which we are sorting out):
06 OBXT
Stage 1 tune (keep her 100% smog legal in CA)
KillerB Oil Pickup (if you ever drop the oil pan, DO A PICKUP!)
AVO Rear Swaybar Mounts (must have, oem mounts will bend too easily)
Hotchkis Swaybars Front and Rear
Kartboy Endlinks (absolutely need for RSB with OBXT, can get away with OEM on front and you will need the spacers in the link kit)
Magnaflow Catback (for rumble, no gains at stage 1, minimal at stage 2)
IP&T Turbo oil supply line (overkill, got it so I can check the filter easily and frequently)

I suggest for you to start with

CNT Catted DP (check IPT for a automatic or manual pipe per your car)
Stage 2 tune
F & R Swaybars (of your choice, Ive been very happy with Hotchkis and Cusco)
AVO RSB Mount
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...gacy-GT/Detail
Kartboy Endlinks (rear)
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...way-Bar/Detail

And see if you really want anything else. That will give you a LOT more power, will get rid of the wallowing, rolly feel in turns and will give you great turn in instead of over steer.

This, for the win. Nice!

If I end up making a purchase, I'll be throwing a couple dozen questions at you. Many thanks for the input.

As for my plans, I'd like to address a number of issues:
  • Ride Height: The outback sits way too high for my liking, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a LGT stance. However, something adjustable would be awesome for trips into the snow/mountains, assuming it isn't too pricey of a proposition.
  • Handling: Uh, what you said. ;)
  • Power: More of it, so an aftermarket tune is in order. Also would tackle how the motor breathes, since it is so much more apparent on a force fed motor. To that end, an UP/DP and exhaust seem to make sense.
  • Appearance: The 08/09 Outback grill is fugly IMHO, so that has to be changed; with what, I dunno. The wheels are gonna get the boot, perhaps with a set of XXR's that I have my eyes on. I also dig yellow fogs, so that is a strong possibility. Finally, might try to do something with that wood trim on the interior.

That's what my list kinda looks like at the moment.

Some immediate follow-up that comes to me is you mention a Stage 2 tune; where do I get that done and by whom? What all is entailed? How much $$? I imagine there is a fairly substantial collections of parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4112765)
Most are directly swappable, with some minor differences.


Would you care to elaborate on some of the specifics?

LosAngelesLGT 10-12-2012 10:58 PM

BAC should never be dismissed with it comes to nitty gritty about OBXT. In fact... I think he was the first person I contacted about modding the OBXT suspension before I ordered a single part. He even custom made something I'm not telling you about because I want it:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop (Post 4112913)
[*]Ride Height: The outback sits way too high for my liking, so I'm thinking something along the lines of a LGT stance. However, something adjustable would be awesome for trips into the snow/mountains, assuming it isn't too pricey of a proposition.

So what you want is your OBXT setup for winter and OEM LGT sturts/springs. Alternately blown LGT struts + koni inserts w/ swift/eibach/pinks OR SpecB suspension. You do know that no coilover is really going to give you the nice ride a good strut/spring setup will.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop (Post 4112913)
[*]Power: More of it, so an aftermarket tune is in order. Also would tackle how the motor breathes, since it is so much more apparent on a force fed motor. To that end, an UP/DP and exhaust seem to make sense.

You don't need an UPpipe, but you should read the forum sticky on where to start modding your car. An UP will offer you basically nothing on the oem turbo and your year has no catalytic in the up anyhow. Dont mess with your intake. Dont mess with your intake. Dont mess with your intake. x3 :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop (Post 4112913)
[*]Appearance: The 08/09 Outback grill is fugly IMHO, so that has to be changed; with what, I dunno.

Heads up, LGT and OB grills are NOT interchangeable for 05-07. Ask me how I know. I bet its the same with 08-09.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop (Post 4112913)
The wheels are gonna get the boot, perhaps with a set of XXR's that I have my eyes on. I also dig yellow fogs, so that is a strong possibility. Finally, might try to do something with that wood trim on the interior.

Im looking at cheap as I will be replacing one a year due to inevitable curbage from the wife. Am looking at 17x8+48 BremmerKraft BRO7 sin silver (hey Bro! :lol:) with either Firehawk Wide Oval 500 235/55/17 or BFG KDW2 235/55/17. Id swap to 5-6k HID long before swapping out perfectly good fogs (yellow is sorta ricey). After going with WHITE hid, the fogs looks pretty yellow anyhow. I can take a night shot of my LGT for you if you want with white HID and oem (seemingly yellow) bulbs to compare if you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrelateBishop (Post 4112913)
Some immediate follow-up that comes to me is you mention a Stage 2 tune; where do I get that done and by whom? What all is entailed? How much $$? I imagine there is a fairly substantial collections of parts. Would you care to elaborate on some of the specifics?

Not doing you a favor unless I pass you the hard work compiled for you already: Forum stickies, forum stickies, forum stickies, forum stickies...
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ons-48123.html
stages
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-gt-19037.html
In this case you need a Tactrix not a VACCOM.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...le-158118.html
Don't short change yourself with a CobbAP map. Get a Infamous1 or Cryotune.

PrelateBishop 10-13-2012 12:50 PM

Man, I love how much knowledge you're dropping me.

Ok, I'm off to do a final inspection of the ride, so I'll keep ya posted.

LosAngelesLGT 10-13-2012 01:01 PM

Good luck! Hope your purchase works out and you bring another OBXT to the Legacygt.com community.

DONT FORGET TO POST PICS IF YOU PURCHASE IN A INTRODUCTION THREAD!

PrelateBishop 10-14-2012 10:21 PM

So that just happened; she's in the garage at this moment.

Of course I'll post pics in an intro thread, so that'll be happening very soon.

LosAngelesLGT, I have a follow-up lowering question for you. Could you provide me a breakdown of the "Alternately blown LGT struts + koni inserts w/ swift/eibach/pinks" statement? Links or product numbers for the specific parts needed would also be greatly appreciated. Hell, if you think it'd be easier to talk about it, I'd be happy to call you (if it isn't a complete imposition).

PrelateBishop 10-14-2012 10:43 PM

While I'm thinking about it, I need a short shifter as well. Research yielded the Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushing Combo, but I am open to suggestions. I believe COBB makes one, in addition to an STI option. Please feel free to weigh-in on this as you see fit.

LosAngelesLGT 10-15-2012 09:03 AM

OH WOW! Congrats on the new purchase. We are VERY happy with ours. Im getting the feeling that you are going to understand a lot more with a 20min conversation than you will with 2 hours of typing and searching out links for you. Looking forward to your intro thread. Don't bother waiting to mod the car before posting. No one is expecting a fully built car to be your intro thread. PM'd

BAC5.2 10-15-2012 09:45 AM

The koni option involves buying OEM LGT struts then installing koni inserts.

I'd considered that option, but went Bilstein for a few reasons.

The lower perch on the Bilstein is slightly higher than the LGT strut. The front shafts are huge, which means less compliance. The fronts are also inverted, pulling unsprung weight out of the front and partially offsetting the heavy tires.

The downside to the Bilstein HD route is that it'll be low. I corrected suspension geometry using a mix of Whiteline parts and spacers on the strut tops to bring everything into line. The result was a stupidly fun and incredibly well riding car. Maybe I'll get to drive it again one day.

I use an LGT STI short shifter linkage in my car.

PrelateBishop 10-15-2012 11:11 AM

The obligatory intro thread is now active, complete with some pics.

LosAngelesLGT 10-15-2012 05:00 PM

Per our conversation:

Find a local tuner or get stuck with an off the shelf tune
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail

Infamous 5% off and free shipping over $299 to lower 48
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...de-176657.html

Bilstein suspension (keep in mind the cost I was counting springs)
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...rut-%26/Detail

Those koni inserts (requires oem lgt struts)
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail

vs KYB all inclusive
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail

EPIC Springs
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail

Downpipe
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...-Legacy/Detail

Downpipe 3" to OEM exhaust flange
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...Factory/Detail

Endlinks - rear, come with spacers not shown that make fitment a breeze. BAC may need to chime in but I do not believe the oem endlinks will survive the RSB on oem suspension. The oem link seemed pushed to the limit of its articulation.
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...way-Bar/Detail

Avo Rear Sway Mounts
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...gacy-GT/Detail

Swaybars to choice. I was very happy with my Cusco's but I swapped both cars to Hotchkis. Not sure if this is going on still or not
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...188899p12.html

If the swaybars you choose dont have these you will want em
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...GT-Sway/detail

Some people say the oil pickup tube is optional. The OBXT got swapped at 50k miles and was clean. The LGT got swapped at 60k miles and was cracked. If it broke, bye bye oil pressure = bye bye motor. These are poorly made from the factory.
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...aru-Oil/Detail

Those oil line kits I was talking about that are optional
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...rbo-Oil/Detail
or
http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...d-Turbo/Detail

Bulletproof TMIC mod
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rx-158870.html

My epic rebuild and build thread (there are TWO builds here)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...rebuild+thread

Mrs.LALGT's OBXT and its mods including the modded Magnaflow (sounds badass but definately not subtle - does not include swap to DBA4000, LGT calipers and hawk hps!)
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...t-limited.html

LegacyGT brakes
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...es-184237.html

PrelateBishop 10-15-2012 05:11 PM

You. F*cking. Rock.

:)

PrelateBishop 10-15-2012 05:11 PM

Oh, before I forget, turns out CryoTune is basically just down the street from me. That being said, me thinks the Stage 2 tune will be happening sooner than later. Uh...that's kinda awesome.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.


LegacyGT.com