Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Blown 2.5gt? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194631)

bdillard22 10-12-2012 03:14 PM

Blown 2.5gt?

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy Gt. My motor started making a very loud tapping noise. I took it to a shop, they said that my motor is shot and i need a new one. The few motors i have found have been pretty expensive. Im tight for money, so where could i find a good motor for cheap? Or is there a different motor i could get that would still mount and bolt up?

balrock01 10-12-2012 06:03 PM

how expensive? what exactly does shot mean? piston? main bearing? did they do a compression test? just because there is an internal failure does not mean that the engine is shot. I would find out what exactly is wrong with it before I bought a new motor or a used one.

Nubie 10-12-2012 06:03 PM

Well did they explain what's actually broken? Your motor is shot is a pretty broad statement, also if you give more info it will probably help, you could be talking about window motor, wiper motor, but I'm gonna guess your talking about your engine;)

What's the extent of the damage?

ripemeat 10-13-2012 05:44 AM

its probably rod knock, and rod knock among passenger cars sound mostly the same so most mechanics will pick up on it immediately without diagnostics. one thing you could do is drain the oil and look for metal flakes/dust...that means your bearings are done and you need a new block.

bdillard22 10-13-2012 08:47 AM

They said my lifters and valves are messed up. And that one of my pistons have a hole through the top if it.

Harbs 10-13-2012 10:58 PM

My condolences man. that sucks.

When/how did it happen? Did you snap the cam belt while going flat out or something?

dr_sharp 10-14-2012 03:28 AM

I would very much like to see this hole in the piston. And I would also like to know the name of the shop.

Berzerklo 10-14-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdillard22 (Post 4112442)
where could i find a good motor for cheap? Or is there a different motor i could get that would still mount and bolt up?

You may be able to find a junk yard motor, but who knows what you will get if you do.

More or less the same short block can be found in STis, 06+ WRX's, or 05-09 Legacies. Heads, intake manifolds and turbo locations can be different depending on the mode.

Sounds like you need a whole new engine (heads and short block). Though I could be wrong, I would hazard a guess that you are in $4-5k minimum to get your car back on the road and that is if you do the work yourself.

Did your mechanic say your turbo is OK?

iNVAR 10-15-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_sharp (Post 4113797)
I would very much like to see this hole in the piston.

jschuk 10-15-2012 07:55 PM

When does it make the noise? All the time, under acceleration, when you lift off the gas pedal? Any CEL's? Does it sound anything like the below video? I wouldn't drive the car until you figure out what the noise is to prevent potential further damage.

jschuk 10-15-2012 07:59 PM

Can someone describe the symptoms of a cracked ringland?

EJ25subie05 10-15-2012 08:11 PM

the cylinder(s) that have a cracked ring land will not hold as much compression (if any) like the others. the car will smoke under load, or constantly if its bad enough.
so its pretty much... loose of compression and smoke.

ripemeat 10-16-2012 07:03 AM

cracked ringland typically exhibits oil consumption more than acceptable, misfires if bad enough, delay in power/boost, rough idle, stumbling. not to say you need all these to have a cracked ringland, YMMV. open the oil fill cap and let it idle, you should feel pulsing air coming out, if it's smokey and smells like exhaust then thats bad.