Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   spec b clutch (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194570)

reborngarcia1985 10-11-2012 06:21 AM

spec b clutch

Hey I have seen that there are options for all the people doing the 6speed swap. But I would like to hear from other spec b owners that have had to replace the clutch in there car and with they went with.

Rusty9 10-11-2012 08:35 AM

There are about 62 threads about this.

From my research, I'm going with the stock STi Flywheel and the fx300 clutch.

I had an exedy stage 1 HD(reused stock FW) installed a few months ago, and I don't like it. Heavy pedal, shudders in 1st and noisy on decel.

reborngarcia1985 10-11-2012 10:23 AM

And i am looking for a review with spec b owners. not people tht have done the trans swap. looking for ones that have used the stock flywheel and done a clutch kit on it. Or if i have other options about doing something else on it that will still work on my car.

Rusty9 10-11-2012 11:30 AM

From what I understand any STi FW and clutch combo works as the transmissions are essentially the same besides gearing and the center diff.

I've been doing the same, trying to find reviews for ACT and Clutchmasters and even OEM STi. But as usual, forum posts swing wildly. "This one is great, quiet, smooth, holds a million torques!" and then the next post some guy says "its noisy on decel and chatters in first".....

But seeing as a vast majority of people here and on nasioc are using the fx300...I don't know. The only downside to kevlar is overheating it and ruining it, which is somewhat true for any I suppose but far worse for kevlar. Might just get an OEM STi clutch kit if it is suitable for a daily driver with a vf52.

spec.B Dream 10-11-2012 11:50 AM

I swapped my OEM clutch and flywheel for a new OEM STi flywheel and STi ACT HDSS clutch. ACT makes a spec.B specific clutch.

I've read that the STi and spec.B flywheels are within milimeters of each other. I didn't notice any difference between the two, but didn't measure. There is a member on this site running the OEM spec.B flywheel with an STi clutch (not sure which make). I didn't do that because I didn't want to wait for my flywheel to be resurfaced.

Max Capacity 10-11-2012 12:13 PM

I'm sure when my 09 Spec B needs a clutch I'll get a Spec 2 clutch, like I have in my 05 wagon. For some reason I have great luck with Spec clutches.

dr_sharp 10-11-2012 01:05 PM

I didn't measure flywheel surface diameter when I did the swap either, but I have heard/read that they are different sizes. My oem clutch gave out at 280ftlbs at the wheels

But I'm running sti clutch, flywheel, pressure plate with 360ft-lbs at the wheels with no issues. The pressure plate makes things noticeably stiffer but nothing outrageous... its feels just like an sti clutch now (surprise, surprise lol)

NSFW 10-11-2012 03:55 PM

Is there really any difference between the spec B flywheel and STI flywheel?

I thought they were the same but I have to admit that I haven't given it much thought.

reborngarcia1985 10-18-2012 09:49 PM

Ya what he said.^ and at this time I don't think I will be going any higher the 350 ft tq and time soon. It is my dd so I should just stay with a stage 1 or should I go and get a sti clutch kit???

Dbl_D718 10-20-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_sharp (Post 4110656)
I didn't measure flywheel surface diameter when I did the swap either, but I have heard/read that they are different sizes. My oem clutch gave out at 280ftlbs at the wheels

But I'm running sti clutch, flywheel, pressure plate with 360ft-lbs at the wheels with no issues. The pressure plate makes things noticeably stiffer but nothing outrageous... its feels just like an sti clutch now (surprise, surprise lol)

I remember in my thread from a couple months ago you told me a little about your move to the STI clutch. I've got another question for ya...

How does it grab in "launch-like" situations. My only gripe with the stock spec.B clutch is that mine seems to have no initial bite. If I try to take off aggressively, it doesn't want to grab at all, just slips like crazy with the the pedal completely released. But once I let off and it grabs, it doesn't slip at all at WOT in any gear.

/threadjack

dr_sharp 10-22-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718 (Post 4123409)
I remember in my thread from a couple months ago you told me a little about your move to the STI clutch. I've got another question for ya...

How does it grab in "launch-like" situations. My only gripe with the stock spec.B clutch is that mine seems to have no initial bite. If I try to take off aggressively, it doesn't want to grab at all, just slips like crazy with the the pedal completely released. But once I let off and it grabs, it doesn't slip at all at WOT in any gear.

/threadjack

To be honest I haven't tried to launch like that since I put the clutch in. That scenario is always going to be dependent on how much power/torque you have, though. With 350+ wtq, I'd expect the same reaction from the sti clutch. If you're down in the sub 300 wtq range, you'd probably get some pretty good bite. But if you plan to launch like that on a regular basis, I'd suggest going to a beefier clutch made for that kind of driving.

tl;dr - i don't really have enough experience with sti clutch to answer that question :lol:

GTTuner 10-22-2012 08:56 AM

I didn't have the greatest luck with my Spec, however I really beat it up pretty bad. I went with an ACT HD-SS and I like it. However, if you can spend 1200.00 bucks on a clutch (minus the flywheel!) the FX300 is amazing. I installed one yesterday and I was blown away at the light pedal effort and smoothness of engagement.

RALLYT-WRX 10-22-2012 09:23 AM

I am having a ACT HD-SS installed in my 08 Spec B on the 29th of this month. The plan is to resurface the stock flywheel and reuse it.

I can post up a little review once I get it installed and broken in.

reborngarcia1985 10-23-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RALLYT-WRX (Post 4125110)
I am having a ACT HD-SS installed in my 08 Spec B on the 29th of this month. The plan is to resurface the stock flywheel and reuse it.

I can post up a little review once I get it installed and broken in.

does your car not have a dual mass fly wheel ? If it does I am looking forward to your review

RALLYT-WRX 10-23-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reborngarcia1985 (Post 4126699)
does your car not have a dual mass fly wheel ? If it does I am looking forward to your review

No, it doesn't have a dual mass. At least according to the research I have done as well as IAG and Subaru it doesn't.

But there is a lot of confusion on this subject. Subaru lists a lot of different part numbers for the SpecB flywheel and from what we could see my 08 has a regular single mass flywheel and its the same one that is used on the STi.

Of course that could all change when we tear it down on Monday. :spin:

I will keep you updated on what I find out.