Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New Member (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194394)

SubiMan10420 10-08-2012 08:09 PM

Hey Im a new member, I have a 1999 Legacy L 30th aniverssary sedan. I have been having some bad issues with my steering which is why I joined this forum. My alignment keeps going out… 3 different shops and a friend have taken a look at it and cant figure it out. The toe gets knocked out quite a bit over 2 weeks of driving. I have had quite a few alignments and nobody knows why! The car wanders at all speeds, steering is vague, and it has the worst bump steer I have ever felt! Going down the highway and switching lanes it jerks into the next lane, then I have to overcorrect it so I dont go off the road. It makes a rattleing noise over bumps, and is not enjoyable to drive anymore! I have worn through a set of tired because of this issue… I dont know what to do and I need to fix this I drive 100 miles a day to college (Live in the middle of Vermont) and need my car to be safe to drive, any suggestions would help! Thanks!

famaya26 10-08-2012 08:11 PM

Bad shocks/struts or LCA bushings out?

whitetiger 10-08-2012 08:12 PM

you need to have all bushings and joints checked. what has been specifically checked by the shop?

and welcome. hope you get your issues solved.

SubiMan10420 10-08-2012 08:17 PM

I replaced the shocks, all bushings were checked and I was told they are all fine and everything checked out. I was told tie rods are solid, checked myself no play. I asked them all to check everything and they said all was well. I just dont know where to go next. If I shake the wheel vigerously back and fourth I hear a little clunk but it is kinda dangerous to drive and I have the week off and would like to fix it.

famaya26 10-08-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubiMan10420 (Post 4106307)
I replaced the shocks, all bushings were checked and I was told they are all fine and everything checked out. I was told tie rods are solid, checked myself no play. I asked them all to check everything and they said all was well. I just dont know where to go next. If I shake the wheel vigerously back and fourth I hear a little clunk but it is kinda dangerous to drive and I have the week off and would like to fix it.

Maybe Axle/CV joint may be broken?

SubiMan10420 10-08-2012 08:28 PM

But would that cause all of that wandering and all the issues im having? The cv's dont click or anything!

famaya26 10-08-2012 08:36 PM

Well my uncles old 99 Accord had alignment issues and he was going through something similar to yours. His cv joint was somehow broken. I would check it just to be safe

SubiMan10420 10-08-2012 08:58 PM

Huh, well ill take a look at that and see what comes of it, but I am still open to other suggestions. Once again thanks for the help!

monkeyposeur 10-08-2012 10:16 PM

Post your problem in the second gen forum and see if anyone there knows what to do.

Welcome to the site.

SubiMan10420 10-09-2012 08:19 AM

k thanks

LacythaLeggy09 10-09-2012 08:57 AM

welcome!

SBT 10-10-2012 06:54 PM

Welcome and glad you joined us.

The 2nd gens have a pronounced clunk in the steering column when rattling over bumps and uneven terrain. Subaru introduced a tech bulletin about this, there's an actual part that gets replaced to "dampen" the noise, but it's really an issue with the power steering relief valve reacting to pressure changes due to the bump. Nothing to be concerned about if not "fixed", just irritating.

However, I would check the steering rack itself to make sure it's not somehow come loose in its mounts. That would cause clunking and lousy handling, even with every bushing and link in perfect shape, and the rest of the suspension equally good.

Any potential issues with the wheel bearings?

Hope it all works out. Personally loved our 30th Anniversay L Wagon. Great 2nd gen example and no issues through 130K miles - may it RIP.

Again, welcome.

PeterJMC 11-19-2012 11:13 PM

Welcome to the forum!