Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   North Central (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Seeking Subaru Select Monitor (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194355)

FundamentalyConfused 10-08-2012 06:01 AM

Seeking Subaru Select Monitor

Does anyone around the Flint, MI area have access to a Subaru Select Monitor with cartridges for a 1990 Legacy?

I'm trying to figure out why my cruise control keeps killing the setting as soon as I set it. I've done just about everything that the service manual says to check without having the monitor.

Thanks.

FundamentalyConfused 10-10-2012 06:30 PM

What about any shops around my area that might have one?

I'm willing to travel.

compsurge 10-10-2012 06:51 PM

I know on the 4th gen, some third party front wheel bearings have been known to cause this issue (sensor pickup built into wheel bearing assembly).

Have you done any work on the car? Some mileage and other stats might help out. Is there a dashboard light sequence trick like other OBD1 cars?

Here is some info on getting the code: http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm

Sorry, I'm pretty useless here.

FundamentalyConfused 10-11-2012 06:25 AM

My Legacy has 299405 miles on the body, 170k+ on the engine and I'm not sure if the trans is the original 5MT or part of the replaced motor.
Well there's no dash lights, other than the power button, for cruise in the 1st gen Legacy.
My check engine light is not on, it does work it flashes at start up.
There's no ABS so there's no sensors that could be setting it off.
The cruise computer is separate from the ECU so I wouldn't be able to get codes out of it like the ECU.
It has a salvage title and I see evidence of plastic filler on the passenger side rocker panel so I suspect it was hit on the passenger side. I have no clue how extensive the damage was because the repair job was good. I found one day in my diagnosis that one of the relays that's attached to the cruise brain was unplugged. I figure that was left unplugged from the accident. After plugging it back in I started getting the cruise to work but not very often.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why my cruise works when IT wants to. I can't connect any factors together to explain why it's doing this. The service manual wants to include the select monitors reading in 80% of troubleshooting the cruise and I've done just about all of the voltage and resistance checks I can. There's only 3 things I wasn't able to do out of the service manual, check the VSS in the speedo, jack car up and check pulse signal at the cruise brain when turning 1 wheel and there's another pulse signal that's supposed to be sent when the car turns over. I wasn't able to turn the car over without it starting. It's also kind of hard to check a pulse signal without an oscilloscope.

When it works it works fine, I can hit the clutch or brake and resume setting. I can accel and decel with the switch. When it does work tho I haven't dared turn the power off to it for fear of losing it. Most of the time when I turn it on I hear the relay click on, another click for setting the speed and a third click when it kills the setting almost instantly.

I just don't get why it works great when it does but most of the time doesn't work at all. I figure the select monitor will help me narrow down the culprit, unless its a bad wire somewhere then I'm just screwed.

FundamentalyConfused 10-23-2012 06:19 PM

Anyone in the mitten of MI have a SSM?

f1anatic 10-24-2012 06:11 AM

Are you sure your cruise control on that...23 year old car is even actuated by the ECU ? It may just be a button-controlled solenoid putting tension on the throttle wire for all i know...(and I am not even pretending I know). But for that old of a car...I respectfully have my doubts...

FundamentalyConfused 10-24-2012 05:40 PM

It has it's own box/brain that's underneath the passenger kick panel. You can only get live info, while driving, out of it.