Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   First Generation Legacy (1989 - 1993) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Resurrection of 1993 L (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194313)

byuandy 10-07-2012 12:00 PM

Resurrection of 1993 L

Bought it in '98 - was my 2nd arm throughout a long stay at college. Left it with parents for 5 years while I lived in Europe. Just moved back stateside, took back the car. It had 220k miles on it when I left, now has 236k on it, so it sat around a lot. A few issues; I'm trying to figure out where to focus efforts. So happy to see such a great forum exists for DIY - I've been reading all over for inspiration, finally deciding to make my first post.
First thing noticed was really rough idle, exhaust sounds like it's regularly missing . This was confirmed by emissions test where it failed HC-idle (1439ppm!). Idle CO = 1.00 (just barely passed in Utah). High speed HC=79, CO=0.03 (both passed). I replaced plugs/FF/PCV/oil/OF, cleaned the K+N AF, and added Bar's Leaks to oil, and a Slick50 fuel system cleaner. Filled the tank with high octane fuel (found out later this was a mistake for lowering emissions). Retested and still got only slightly better results (1296 HC / 1.01 CO idle, 47 / 0.15 high speed).
BTW: Noticed the plug in cylinder 1 was covered in black sooty stuff (both bridge, insulator, thread rim). Other plugs seemed pretty good.

Next step: compression test. Cylinders 2 and 33 at 124 /132. Cyl1 at 48! Added oil and it stayed the same pressure. Cyl4 was at 77, 2nd test was 90. Tired with oil and got 92, 2nd test after oil was 112. As cyl4 is the hardest to get to, I wonder if I didn't get the tester tight enough, thus the low readings. Will try again after running the car a while to do a new "dry" test. Also noticed that the new plug in cyl1 already has an oily residue on it.

Vacuum test: connected to driver's side port on intake manifold. At 4000' elevation, the zero-point on gauge was about 0.3 over-pressure. At idle, got 13.3-14.0 (shaking between those two). At 2500rpm, it was steady at 16.5. When closing throttle, drops to 15 immediately, couple seconds to 14.

My initial thoughts: there's a lot of unburned fuel coming into exhaust. Was worried that the cat was damaged and blocked up, but the vacuum test didn't take long to drop back to idle levels, so maybe the cat's still OK. My guess on cyl1 is worn valve guide as there's oil on the new plug, and dry/wet comp test gave same really low pressure.

Anyone have a better diagnosis? If it is a valve guide - this requires an engine pull, correct? Trying to decide on worthiness of all the work for such a rust bucket. Thanks in advance.

monkeyposeur 10-07-2012 06:14 PM

Welcome to the site. I'm in SLC. I don't have any advice for you. It's not because you are a BYU fan either.

It's possible to pull the heads without pulling the engine. But it is way easier to just pull the engine and work on it that way. It gives you a chance to replace all your seals and timing easily.

byuandy 10-07-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4104688)
Welcome to the site. I'm in SLC. I don't have any advice for you. It's not because you are a BYU fan either.

Haha - how did you know? And thanks.
I just bought my first home, have my first garage, investing in my first real set of tools. Replacing the axles last week was first use of my new facilities. So I'm excited about trying engine work, just not sure how much I can pull off with my couple minutes each evening after work, kids, etc. So hoping for a little direction as to what I should be looking specifically at, even if I would love to just dismantle everything, try machining, etc.

monkeyposeur 10-07-2012 09:14 PM

If you have a garage you can probably rig up a chain hoist to pluck your engine, or just get a harbor freight cherry picker. I had a lot of fun pulling my engine. I replaced every seal, timing, etc. I had the heads decked at a shop. I didn't have to do any valve work though. But I am looking to buy some 205 heads for a project build and if I have to rebuild the heads I am looking forward to giving it a shot.

I bought a house but I wish I it had a garage. :(

subikid90 10-07-2012 10:23 PM

If you have the motivation then go for it. As long as the frame of the car is still strong then I wouldn't hesitate to drop the money to have a cheap reliable DD. There is lots of knowledge around here on doing the repairs, ask Monkey, he was in your shoes a few months ago lol :p

byuandy 10-07-2012 10:55 PM

Thanks guys for the encouragement. "First real tools" consists of daily runs to Harbor Fright just before closing time, to pick up the latest piece I needed. If I hadn't spent the money on the garage, I could have spent all that $$ on tools :)

monkeyposeur 10-07-2012 11:11 PM

I rebuilt my 22T under a carport at my friends apartment building. It was cold, and rained often. Garages are nice! :) You don't need that many tools to rebuild an engine fortunately. A good torque wrench is your best friend, though. subikid recommended this to me:
I love it. But you have little ones, sorry to tempt you. :)

Post up a pic of your car if you get a chance. There is an auto body class you can take in SLC at East High. I took it for two semesters and was able to restore and paint my second gen.

sqc151 10-08-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4104895)
If you have a garage you can probably rig up a chain hoist to pluck your engine, or just get a harbor freight cherry picker.

2 people can lift the engine.
just make sure everything is disconnected... :redface:
(forgot 2 hoses, but otherwise came out easy.

for the record, me and a another friend smaller than me lifted a COMPLETE engine with everything into the back of a lexus, if you break down the engine a bit (like intake manifold) makes it easier to remove.

monkeyposeur 10-08-2012 10:22 PM

Ha ha! Did you use the same guys to put it back in? Putting it back in is a bit more of a delicate operation, lol. Me and a buddy have picked up my engine and I'm only 5'5" and a buck 20. I can pick up the short block no problem by myself, as long as I'm not moving it very far. :)

byuandy 10-08-2012 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=sqc151;4105921]2 people can lift the engine.
That's an inspiring video - would save the hoist rental. Might as well pull the grill/radiator with everything else being removed :)

Thanks for the tip on the torque wrench. I'll try to take a pic before the pull.

sqc151 10-08-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4106394)
Ha ha! Did you use the same guys to put it back in? Putting it back in is a bit more of a delicate operation, lol. Me and a buddy have picked up my engine and I'm only 5'5" and a buck 20. I can pick up the short block no problem by myself, as long as I'm not moving it very far. :)

Car was stripped and junked. block was sold

monkeyposeur 10-08-2012 10:40 PM

Lol, I meant that I am able to pick up my shortblock when I was rebuilding it, not pick up your shortblock. I'm in SLC for crying out loud!

byuandy, where are you located in UT? We as Utahns are lucky for many reasons. One of them being junkyards full of first gen subarus for our taking of parts!!! :) If you have any rusty fenders or doors it is easy to find replacements. Engines, drivetrains, etc., it's there.

byuandy 10-09-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4106425)
byuandy, where are you located in UT? We as Utahns are lucky for many reasons. One of them being junkyards full of first gen subarus for our taking of parts!!! :) If you have any rusty fenders or doors it is easy to find replacements. Engines, drivetrains, etc., it's there.

Good point. I'm in Provo. I bought a window from a yard on Provo/Springville border years ago (for the same car). Embarrassing admission: fender splash guards and some front molding are held on with bright orange nylon string (found on the side of the highway 5 minutes after a splash guard fell off). And just bought the wire ties last week to "upgrade" 9 years after the incident :redface: Been reading up on overhaul. If I can get it running as well as I want to, I'll probably be at the yards after for body.

sqc151 10-09-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4106425)
Lol, I meant that I am able to pick up my shortblock when I was rebuilding it, not pick up your shortblock. I'm in SLC for crying out loud!

I understood your question, You asked if we put it back in, I was just answering your question about physically picking it up, not YOU picking it up.
Im in jerz for crying out loud... :p

monkeyposeur 10-09-2012 09:06 AM

Ha ha! :redface: