Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cleansweep question??? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194248)

donyzfr1 10-06-2012 04:51 AM

Cleansweep question???

Im thinking about adding a JL Cleansweep to my 05, I have a question for the users of them. Do they really make that much of a difference? Right now I have the FM Modulator for my iPod it sounds ok, but when I put my iPod in my friends car with my music sounds better. Also what are some 6 1/2 component speaker system I can add.

Dbl_D718 10-06-2012 08:10 AM

FM modulators are horrible for sound quality.

But, whether or not it's worth it is up to you based your goals for the system. I use a similar/cheaper interface from Alpine and I'm glad I have it. It does make a difference.

Were you planning on adding an amp(s) and all?

For components, go audition as many as you can at a local audio shop. Find out what kind of sound you like. Personally, I absolutely love my Alpine Type X components for their price.

mikeyd 10-06-2012 08:51 AM

I've had the cleansweep in my 05 since I bought the car in 05. Its a great product! It has the AUX in put but I'm not sure if your aware that you will NEED an amplifier. The cleansweep is a line level converter. It takes in speaker level audio input and converts it to line level outputs for an amplifier. It does not output to speakers directly and therefore your AUX source is going nowhere without an aftermarket amp (via RCA connections) connected. The entire purpose of the cleansweep id to be able to connect an AMP to your factory head unit. The AUX in is just an added bonus. If the cleansweep has changed since my dealings with it, please disregard ;-)

Dbl_D718 10-06-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyd (Post 4103312)
...you will NEED an amplifier.

This is true.

Which is why I asked if you had planned for that ;)

angeltalin 10-06-2012 09:37 AM

Loved my cleansweep, easy to install and made a for a great listening, one of the easiest ways to go aftermarket stereo

donyzfr1 10-06-2012 11:39 AM

I have an amp on the stock speakers and 2 10" subs. They sound decent I just know it can be better after hearing my iPod in another car.

Dbl_D718 10-06-2012 11:57 AM

I'd replace your front speakers first then. Find a set you like and install them properly. That includes deadening the door, preferably sealing it as much as possible so you can get the most out of your new speakers. If you're still not happy, then look into a processor like a Cleansweep.

09blkL3g 10-06-2012 12:43 PM

upgrade components...if you have 2 10s, look for something that is excellent in midrange/vocals...jbl gtis, selenium(which is basically jbl), Cadence ZRS6kM, CDT, bostons etc...and of course amp them..whatever the set, try giving them no less than 100wrms

if your ipod is your main source of music, then consider this...you can get a small single din eq, connect a RCA to 3.5min for the ipod on the main input..and the output directly to your sub amp and 2channel front stage amp...

ipod<eq<amps<speakers

Sublimejoe 10-17-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718 (Post 4103283)
FM modulators are horrible for sound quality.

But, whether or not it's worth it is up to you based your goals for the system. I use a similar/cheaper interface from Alpine and I'm glad I have it. It does make a difference.

Were you planning on adding an amp(s) and all?

For components, go audition as many as you can at a local audio shop. Find out what kind of sound you like. Personally, I absolutely love my Alpine Type X components for their price.

More info on the Alpine version please. Thanks!

mitskip 10-17-2012 04:59 PM

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pxe-h660

Im looking into these processors as well. I am trying to find out how to use both a 4 channel and a 2 channel together. The Cleansweep doesnt have 3 RCA outputs. I havent looked into the details of the Alpine yet.

sko 10-21-2012 09:57 PM

Sooooooo.... How would you hook up 4 speakers and a sub with the ole clean sweep there? Or do you just choose between 4 speakers or 2 speakers and a sub?

Daniels 12-13-2012 08:14 PM

it dependent on your amp that you purchase. You can buy a 5 channel amp and hook up all the door speakers and a sub. You get the idea. The route i see most favorable is get a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a seperate mono or 2 channel amp for the bass. set up the door speaker amp uner a seat next to your cleansweep and attach the sub amp to the sub box BANG

mitskip 12-14-2012 12:14 AM

Theres only 4 RCA inputs in the cleansweep. Great, attach your sub amp to the sub box, then what? Wheres the music signal going to come from?

mwiener2 12-14-2012 01:06 AM

I like my CS.... but I hardly use the stock head unit. It's usally on Aux In with my XM.

Daniels 12-14-2012 06:33 AM

Not sure....piggy back something? well us 2005 owners don't have the luxury of aux in :(