Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Finally...... exhaust for me!!!!! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194225)

wrxwhit 10-05-2012 03:43 PM

Finally...... exhaust for me!!!!!

Well, as some of you know, I'm at stage one with that horrible looking, boring, songless stock exhaust. Wife disapproves completely so I'm going behind her back, oh boy!!! I'm only going catback for now to preserve the clutch:). I am torn between the Invidia and the Borla. Invidia is a bit less expensive, but heard awesomeness about the Borla (coppertone). When I start the car in the am in the garage, the goal is to not wake up my family and or neighbors! Pro for Invidia is a more open system and less expensive whereas the Borla tapers to 2.5" and more expensive. Pro for the Borla, possibly better sounding, less groaning, quiter for the family but less performance and more expensive. Ok Coppertone, need a sound clip as I have an idea of how the Invidia sounds. Oh and also a pic from the rear would be super sweet! Comments on these two choices welcome.

Philberto 10-05-2012 06:42 PM

I don't think you'll lose anything with the Borla tapering to 2.5". And although I haven't pulled the trigger yet (I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide which one) I'm thinking the Borla may have a drone at some RPM point, simply because it doesn't have a resonator.

wrxwhit 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

Now, how I would love to here and see the Borla from the backside. Calling coppertone......

And is I finished this reply to my topic, I got a terrific deal from a vendor for the Invidia. Hmmm...

pfoyle 10-05-2012 07:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the Invidia CBE... I like it a lot, the only thing you have to be "careful" of is at startup (at idle) it's a bit loud, but if you rev the engine a little bit, it will settle down to a much more reasonable level... It's typically barely louder than stock, but for some reason if you just start the car and let it idle, it is significantly louder... strange, but easily fixed by revving it a tiny bit...

pfoyle 10-05-2012 07:12 PM

And videos of stock vs Invidia too... in the Invidia vid, you can hear it loud at startup, and then quieter after revving... fwiw.

Stock: Invidia:

wrxwhit 10-05-2012 07:25 PM

Awesome video!! One if the best sound clips i have heard. Was that on a phone or an HD cam?I think I may just pull the trigger on these. Maybe I'll push the car out of the garage before start up lol!! My wife is gonna kill me!!!

GTEASER 10-05-2012 09:21 PM

Im in the same boat....which one...? The Invidia looks really nice, and sounds really nice, but so does the Borla. When I mentioned exhaust system, my wife wrinkled her nose and said "Okay, but it can't be loud".

Ellesedil 10-05-2012 10:37 PM

Since you're in Mass, you could try to hear pfoyle's car in person. Just a thought....

wrxwhit 10-06-2012 05:27 AM

I just said screw it and purchased the Q300 last night. Can't wait to install then get screamed at and possibly threatened to get rid of the car blah blah blah by the wife.

laff79 10-06-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4103206)
I just said screw it and purchased the Q300 last night. Can't wait to install then get screamed at and possibly threatened to get rid of the car blah blah blah by the wife.

lose the wife. keep the car. problem solved

pfoyle 10-06-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4102902)
Awesome video!! One if the best sound clips i have heard. Was that on a phone or an HD cam?I think I may just pull the trigger on these. Maybe I'll push the car out of the garage before start up lol!! My wife is gonna kill me!!!

Video recorded on Digital Camera (Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS). At startup if you give it some gas, it should settle down very quickly (as you can hear in the video)... If wife/kids are sleeping, the initial startup may wake them, but it will have quieted down once they are aware enough to think... And then you can just blame it on the car starting, as opposed to a "loud" exhaust... Maybe... :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellesedil (Post 4103115)
Since you're in Mass, you could try to hear pfoyle's car in person. Just a thought....

This is true... in fact I'll be at Motive Auto Works in Woburn on Wednesday, trading downpipes with another forum member and then I'll have the full Invidia TBE! Stage 2 baby! :spin: Wasn't planning on it, but can't argue with "free"!

pfoyle 10-06-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4103206)

And depending on where in MA you are, I could probably help with the install too, if you don't want to pay a mechanic... I had other mods at the same time, so didn't do mine personally, but I believe it's an direct/easy bolt-up project... I have the tools and the ramps, if you've got the beers! ;)

acumenhokie 10-06-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfoyle (Post 4102855)
Here's some pics of the Invidia CBE... I like it a lot, the only thing you have to be "careful" of is at startup (at idle) it's a bit loud, but if you rev the engine a little bit, it will settle down to a much more reasonable level...

This is the car idling a little higher at cold start attempting to bring the cat up to temp to increase efficiency. It did this before the exhaust was on but it was just too quiet to hear. I think it sounds beastly. :)

wrxwhit 10-06-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laff79 (Post 4103209)
lose the wife. keep the car. problem solved

Hilarious, but then I lose my house, my kids and awesome home cooked meals amongst some other things lol!!

pfoyle 10-06-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4103707)
This is the car idling a little higher at cold start attempting to bring the cat up to temp to increase efficiency. It did this before the exhaust was on but it was just too quiet to hear. I think it sounds beastly. :)

Makes sense... and don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sound! But OP was worried about excessive noise, so figured I'd share the "fix" that I've found...