Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Islandborn's Build to BNR's Billet 18G (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194202)

islandborn 10-05-2012 07:34 AM

Islandborn's Build to BNR's Billet 18G

1 Attachment(s)
So I figured I'd post my path of build like others.....

Goal: Family car look containing a beast within.

Car: 2012 Black Legacy GT

Factory mods: Sti short shifter, puddle lights, and all weather mats

islandborn 10-05-2012 07:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
First purchases were to tighten the ride up. I came from driving an 2005 Altima SER which had a nice firm hold. Pictures are with comparisons with stock pieces too.

Whiteline 22mm RSB with alloy lateral locks

Rallitek Endlinks

islandborn 10-05-2012 07:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chose the Invidia 300 exhaust system for the deep sound without being a disruption while I ride through the neighborhood. Didn't want to sound IMO "rice". Remember the goal - sleeper type. Last suspension tweek was an Eibach Pro Kit. Chosen because of the moderate 1" drop all around but keeping me from scraping the parking lot speed bumps up.

islandborn 10-05-2012 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now lets play with a bit of power. Ordered the Accessport from Cobb... Stage 1 on 93 pump. That was an "awakening" of the car!

islandborn 10-05-2012 07:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Never satisfied and building.... Ordered the TMIC from RacerX thermal coated and rode up to Cobb Tuning in Plano for a pro tune! Yeah baby! Here is the result: 278whp/334lbs of torque.

islandborn 10-05-2012 08:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
With my eye on BNR's Billet 18G.... had to set up the parts to feed the snail. ID 1000's with the easy install plugs for the injectors with a Deutchworks 300 fuel pump.

islandborn 10-05-2012 08:09 AM

I just put the call in to BNR for the Billet 18G.... I know it will take a bit. Till then....

BMA44 10-05-2012 08:16 AM

^ those are some solid #'s on the dyno!

acumenhokie 10-05-2012 08:58 AM

Any idea how long "a bit" is? Just curious on the turnaround time. Does he need any stock parts? I'm planning to go this route possibly in the spring (no point in doing it up north when winter is coming) and want to know if and for how long my DD will be out of commission.

RAyala 10-05-2012 09:20 AM

Sometimes I wish I would of gotten a GT to play around with new toys. At least one of my 3 legacys N/A 2.5...
Good luck on your build man.

Blizzard 10-05-2012 09:34 AM

Interested to see how the 18g works out for you. I really shouldn't but I may eventually not be able to help myself and go down the same road via corn power.

islandborn 10-05-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4101672)
Any idea how long "a bit" is? Just curious on the turnaround time. Does he need any stock parts? I'm planning to go this route possibly in the spring (no point in doing it up north when winter is coming) and want to know if and for how long my DD will be out of commission.

He needs the core of a VF54. Most people use their original turbo, they send it in and he mods it to the 18G. Others hunt Ebay or other places to find one - intact or even a blown one - so that their car is not out of commission for the time. My situation was that I wanted to keep my OE turbo just in case I needed to swap back to stock - so I had to find another one. Bryan just happened to know of one, so I will pay him for it along with the build. Time? I do know that right now as he said he is quite swamped. He will be contacting me with the estimate and costs soon.

I would suggest you read as much as you can on BNR. (heck, type in BNR 18G Billet into Google) After reading majority of positives, there were of course a relatively few negatives - as with any product. IMO - I am giving him my business because I believe he makes damn good turbos and is very respected in many areas. He is touted quite high with NAGTROC.com and those guys don't screw around with their rides. He backs his work 100% and comes across as very honest and fair. Call him. If you are thinking of this route, the best thing to do is compile info.

islandborn 10-05-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4101763)
Interested to see how the 18g works out for you. I really shouldn't but I may eventually not be able to help myself and go down the same road via corn power.

I'm all about helping others feed their power addiction! :)

redstriker 10-05-2012 12:13 PM

Once you're done, hit me up for a race at the drag strip.

acumenhokie 10-05-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandborn (Post 4101860)
He needs the core of a VF52. Most people use their original turbo, they send it in and he mods it to the 18G. Others hunt Ebay or other places to find one - intact or even a blown one - so that their car is not out of commission for the time. My situation was that I wanted to keep my OE turbo just in case I needed to swap back to stock - so I had to find another one. Bryan just happened to know of one, so I will pay him for it along with the build. Time? I do know that right now as he said he is quite swamped. He will be contacting me with the estimate and costs soon.

I would suggest you read as much as you can on BNR. (heck, type in BNR 18G Billet into Google) After reading majority of positives, there were of course a relatively few negatives - as with any product. IMO - I am giving him my business because I believe he makes damn good turbos and is very respected in many areas. He is touted quite high with NAGTROC.com and those guys don't screw around with their rides. He backs his work 100% and comes across as very honest and fair. Call him. If you are thinking of this route, the best thing to do is compile info.

Good info, thanks for sharing. Are you planning to tune for E85 or stay on unleaded?