Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ebay winner 181k 06 gt legacy (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194084)

02603sec 10-03-2012 07:54 AM

ebay winner 181k 06 gt legacy

nice pics a and carfax. hard to believe it's in such good shape. We've had some really good luck with high mileage subarus off ebay. Now, maybe she wont give this one away :). It's about an hour from here, and we'll pick it up on Saturday. What should I check before I hand over the balance in cash? I do have a compression gauge, what spark plug wrench should I bring? How do I look at the trans fluid? Is there a way to check the cv's? It says the turbo was replaced "huh"? Where are the common oil leaks on the GT? How much noise is acceptable? Any help would be appreciated. Murphy's law, if it's too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIMIT...t_17127wt_1182

BarManBean 10-03-2012 07:58 AM

have you ever owned a turbo subaru before?

if not, best of luck--hope it works out for you. You have most of the things to check already (namely compression, if that's bad you need to do a leakdown test I beleive). Trans fluid on the dipstick. You could drop the downpipe and check the turbo for play, but in theory you should have a new gasket if you're going to do that.

SCASEYS 10-03-2012 08:01 AM

looks like a winner
Ebay offers buyer protection, read about it(saved my @ss on a blown transmission)
great condition

02603sec 10-03-2012 08:28 AM

Thanks for the response Barman and SCaseys. No previous Subaru turbos, but had an 02 tt Carrera and have a Super Duty turbo diesel. I've never had problems with a turbo. Although, I did test drive a GT that had a noisey turbo, and didn't buy it.

I just reread the Ebay buyer protection, and it looks like it would cover a non-disclosure, and not a warranty.

pabhomie 10-03-2012 08:53 AM

Before you buy let me tell you something, If a water damage or salvage title or rebuilt, repaired title doesn't scare then I would rather hold on it and fin one for the same price but with a lot less miles. I personally just bought mine for 5500 and its a 2007 legacy gt limited just like that one except no spoiler and it has si drive. It does have a water damage title but the owner gave me a folder full of receipts from where they basically replaced the whole engine at Subaru. And I bought from a private seller not dealer. But if you still want to go through with this then:

Ask for maintenance receipts especially for the new turbo. Look underneath the car for any signs of rust, bring a jack or ramps and check all underneath the engine for leaks and anything broken. Take your time with it and don't rush. Take it for a drive like a 30 min or more drive and make sure u feel the turbo boost and throw u to the back of your seat. Make sure all functions work( heated seats, sunroof) stuff like that. And the banjo bolt, I hear people talk that if you don't replace it it can really damage the turbo. Also make sure all the warning lights come on with one click. I've heard of many people ( not here) that take out the airbag or check engine light to sell a vehicle. I can go into more detail but I'm sure you get the idea. And trust me I buy cars all the time and I find good deal, so this one could be good and true! Good luck man hope to hear you join the lgt community with one.

02603sec 10-03-2012 09:26 AM

pab. did you see the carfax? says the title is clear with no probs. I am also bringing my OBDII code reader.

pabhomie 10-03-2012 09:42 AM

No no I meant if a different brand of title didn't scare you then I would find one with less mileage and newer. But I know that one is clean. Just showing you your options for the same or cheaper price

Matt166 10-03-2012 09:53 AM

So you are buying this car from an independent dealer, correct? If so you may have some sort of warranty coverage from your state. Im not entirely sure how that works out with buying from ID's from ebay.

Whatever happens best of luck buddy, i'm sure she will last a long time, and at that price you can afford to put a bit into her if needs be.

02603sec 10-03-2012 09:55 AM

My list of inspection tools

Spark plug wrench
Screw driver to drop the down tube
Compression Gauge, should be 150lbs and hold
Antennae mirror
Flashlight
OBDII reader
Tire Gauge
Rag
OIL condition
Coolant condition
Trans fluid condition
brake fluid condition
Suspension tests
Micrometer for alternator

Matt166 10-03-2012 09:55 AM

Actually a bit more research tells me they probably arent a registered dealer. Looks like a guy who flips cars on ebay. Either way the car looks great, with a great price.

paintpollz 10-03-2012 09:56 AM

congrats on your purchase

02603sec 10-03-2012 09:59 AM

Matt. yes that is an independent dealer, but I've always believed that any additional warranty ( paid for by the customer ) is a sucker bet. I know, I know the stories of extended warranties and such saving a big repair, but in my experience, been a waste of $$.

Matt166 10-03-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02603sec (Post 4098155)
Matt. yes that is an independent dealer, but I've always believed that any additional warranty ( paid for by the customer ) is a sucker bet. I know, I know the stories of extended warranties and such saving a big repair, but in my experience, been a waste of $$.

I agree, the extended ones are worthless, but, for instance in MA, if you buy a car from an independent dealer, within a month you are pretty much covered for major defects under the lemon law. So if you did find anything major within that month you could at least take it back and they would have 3 attempts to fix it.
Buying from and individual you have no coverage whatsoever.

So hopefully, depending on your state, you should get that month barrier. I bought an RSX a few years ago and had some VTEC valve trouble, hence I researched into it quite a bit. I also had the extended warranty thrown in, which was pretty worthless - $500 deductible and only covered $50 an hour labor!

mcg_ 10-03-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Screw driver to drop the down tube
See http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...all-96587.html

mdzowner 10-03-2012 12:42 PM

looks like its been i an accident despite the report. look at the gap on the rear doors. looks way off