Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2012 2.5i CEL/almost stall (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194057)

computersoc 10-02-2012 04:55 PM

2012 2.5i CEL/almost stall

I bought my 2012 Legacy 2.5i Premium with CVT in January. I have almost 15k miles on it.

Yesterday - and I know I shouldn't do this, but maybe it contributed - I got gas and filled it up a few times after it "clicked" for me to stop filling. Nothing leaked on the ground but it could have been close.

Today, drove 90 miles to work and 90 miles back. Highway driving. Stopped at home to drop my stuff off and drove 4 miles to the grocery store and in the parking lot, I felt the car feel like it was going to stall (imagine driving stick shift and not hitting the clutch at a low speed, it shakes, until it stalls) and the CEL blinked for less than a second, and then all was normal. It did NOT actually stall but shook as if it was going to.

Any ideas, or maybe just overfill/bas gas? Gas was from Sams Club, which is a high volume station. Never had issues from their gas before.

cipher_nemo 10-02-2012 09:00 PM

Can't really overfill the gas tank as it has drainage built in to stop overfilling. Something else is going on, or your engine hit a rough spot of build-up when it did its self-cleaning.

computersoc 10-02-2012 09:02 PM

I've had fuel come out of the fuel filler neck when I keep filling it even after it makes the noise for me to stop as all cars do (or whatever the hole is that I stick the nozzle in... the car's vag). Any car I've owned does this if I keep filling even after I should have stopped. I don't think the Subaru is any different.

zambazil 10-02-2012 09:48 PM

This sounds very familiar with another member at post 7563:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...57258p505.html

I believe there's no follow up in this yet though..

computersoc 10-02-2012 09:55 PM

I'm at 6k miles on my Royal Purple 5w30 synthetic. Looks fine and I'm not down any oil. Gas mileage has not changed. I get around 33mpg highway. Unless it happens again, I'll wait another 1500 miles (week or two) and get the oil changed and tell the dealer. Can they pull any codes since it was more of a stall and not a steady CEL?

I'll see how it does on my 180 mile trip again tomorrow.

zambazil 10-03-2012 06:51 AM

If happens that frquent, I'd take it to the dealership esp if i could reproduce the problem. Take advantage of the warranty of a new car.. 0.02

PoManzAWD 10-04-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computersoc (Post 4097637)
I'm at 6k miles on my Royal Purple 5w30 synthetic. Looks fine and I'm not down any oil. Gas mileage has not changed. I get around 33mpg highway. Unless it happens again, I'll wait another 1500 miles (week or two) and get the oil changed and tell the dealer. Can they pull any codes since it was more of a stall and not a steady CEL?

I'll see how it does on my 180 mile trip again tomorrow.

I'm at just under 17K miles on my 2012, also average low 30's tank/tank. I've had the idle drop off, resulting in a shudder a few times during parking maneuvers. Could be the idle speed not kicking up enough to compensate for the load put on the engine from the power steering pump? Dunno. It hasn't happened enough for me to pursue further.

Royal Purple is good stuff. I used it years ago. I'm doing ~7K mile oil change intervals with Napa Full synth.

Joel

Regis1756 10-04-2012 09:42 AM

My subaru does the "shutter" frequently.... It is a normal thing for the legacy... I have read other threads on here with members having the same issues..... Kinda just go with it, if it totally stalls out, then that is a different issue...

cipher_nemo 10-04-2012 09:57 AM

Well, I have noticed that if I don't let my engine warm up for a minute when it's dead cold, it can do this while backing up out of a parking space. Once it's warm, I never have that issue.

Then again, my old 99 Mazda had this issue 10-fold, even when warm. So far the Subaru Legacy idle (NA) has been fine for me.

Regis1756 10-04-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo (Post 4099862)
Well, I have noticed that if I don't let my engine warm up for a minute when it's dead cold, it can do this while backing up out of a parking space. Once it's warm, I never have that issue.

Then again, my old 99 Mazda had this issue 10-fold, even when warm. So far the Subaru Legacy idle (NA) has been fine for me.

Yeah. My 10 2.5 I does the same exact thing, as soon as you take your foot off that gas right? (After backing up right)

cipher_nemo 10-04-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regis1756 (Post 4099869)
Yeah. My 10 2.5 I does the same exact thing, as soon as you take your foot off that gas right? (After backing up right)

Yup. A little dip, rough idle, almost like it's going to stall but never does. That's when I take off right away after starting up the engine. If I let it warm up for a minute (in reality about 40 seconds or so), I never experience that. And it doesn't happen all the time, just some days.

Oh, I run the stock recommended 5W30 but synthetic as well.

Regis1756 10-04-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo (Post 4099874)
Yup. A little dip, rough idle, almost like it's going to stall but never does. That's when I take off right away after starting up the engine. If I let it warm up for a minute (in reality about 40 seconds or so), I never experience that. And it doesn't happen all the time, just some days.

Oh, I run the stock recommended 5W30 but synthetic as well.

Sounds like my car! I wouldn't worry about it.... Mine even does it sometimes when I pull up to a red light and come to a stop. Scared the s*it out of me at first, but you get used to it..... Don't sweat it, it's what makes a subaru a subaru! Haha

cipher_nemo 10-04-2012 02:39 PM

Perhaps they were trying to be too efficient in the engine idle? lol

computersoc 10-04-2012 08:34 PM

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye on it, but it luckily seems to not be an issue. Probably fixed in the 2013, lol

computersoc 12-26-2012 06:05 PM

I'm still having this happen. Since it only happens once every month or two, it's going to be tough for the dealer to look at anything. What should I tell them to look at in specific?