Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Got a 00 GT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194000)

phantommaggot 10-01-2012 05:54 PM

Got a 00 GT

Hi,
Got a titanium pearl 5spd GT last week.
135k, No idea if the head gasket has been done.

Tires on the car are 'from a friend' and way too big, tearing up the fenders...
225/60-16
Have to get some of those, looking at these..

brakes feel SUPER weak. They get massive fade after about 10 minutes of 'sport' driving on back roads.
I'm thinking they are sticking or the e-brake is sticking.

pretty sure it has an exhaust leak. I wanna gut the cat and maybe pick up a borla or something. I hate rasp.. so I'll have to do research.

Also, the security B.S. seems to be... unstable.. lol.
Sometimes the lights flash.. sometimes they dont.. sometimes the interior light comes on.. sometimes it doesnt.. sometimes it locks.. etc..etc..

Anyways, Ill post a pic shortly.

I have a To Do list. Any suggestions are welcome
Tires are a MUST at this point
Blitz the wheels and grille
Fix exhaust leak, gut the cat.. (redneck I know.. but hey, it passes visual and there isnt emissions in my area)
Pulgs and Wires (Any suggestions?)
Brakes.

85cobra 10-02-2012 10:44 AM

Congratulations. Sounds like a little project about to happen. Lol

phantommaggot 10-02-2012 11:41 AM

More of a project getting it back to stock..

I cant decide if I like it or not.

Thinking maybe gutting the cat and upgrade the intake/exhaust will up my response and MPG.

That said, I'd trade it any day of the week for a 94-99 brighton lol.

TrueWhiteBoy 10-02-2012 01:33 PM

I'm guessing with new brakes and tires your enjoyment of the car will go up considerably. Sounds like a moderately fun project.

Pardon my ignorance (and a quick google search didn't help), but what is a brighton?

85cobra 10-02-2012 01:38 PM

@ Truewhiteboy- Brighton from those years were the impreza's. They had a 2.2 that was practically bullet proof.

@ Phantom- post some pix when u get a chance.
I would like to see your project.

phantommaggot 10-02-2012 04:25 PM

Brighton was the very base model, Impreza or legacy.
Crank windows, No extras, 5 speed, hell they only had front speakers.
However, they weigh a LOT less and the 2.2 can move those things around.

Its rained past couple days and i haven't been able to take pics. As soon as its nice outside I'll snap a couple. The inside is pretty clean, I haven't been able to get out and detail it yet.

The Giant tires are causing issues with the front fenders. Grabbing the lips and pulling them down. I keep having to bend them back up. Tires are gonna be my first purchase.

phantommaggot 10-02-2012 04:39 PM

Quick pic I took in between rain sessions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x/IMAG0583.jpg

85cobra 10-02-2012 07:15 PM

Haha
Hey phantom we have the same ride.
Niice

ehsnils 10-03-2012 02:24 AM

Looks good - a nice little project car! :)

octain11 10-03-2012 04:39 AM

nice lgt, make sure you get on top of the HG issue before it kicks you

phantommaggot 10-03-2012 05:47 AM

Ya, I'm worried about the HG, but I'm broke. haha. I blew my wad on the car because I was in a tight spot and it was available.

It was in a slight accident and has a rebuilt title. I barely even paid for it ha.

That said, It NEEDS tires. The tires that are on it are fine but way too big and tearing up my front fenders. I will probably get these.

After i get those, and give the car a full tune up, Fix any little B.S. i find I'm starting an 'engine out' Pile. Things like good HG set, Flywheel/clutch, pulleys, ETC. Then when i pull the engine i can do it all at once.

I just hope it can get me through the winter.

85cobra 10-03-2012 06:48 AM

I have those tires on mine too. And i hope to feel how well they once i finally drop this motor in. Fingers crossed.
And m doing this now. Upgrade the brakes to the 05 LGT.
Brakes was the best deal i got. LOL.
And where is your location?

octain11 10-03-2012 07:37 AM

do a compression test on each cylinder, that should help you figure out whether you need HG or not

phantommaggot 10-03-2012 01:41 PM

Sorry, I havent worked on my profile on here.
Im in VA, between Princeton WV and Blacksburg VA.

I Have to get tires.
Does that conditioner garbage that subaru puts in your coolant work? Or is it just trash so they can get out of replacing the gasket.

If my HG is leaking I'm fucked lol.

What is the difference in my brakes and 05? would i need bigger wheels? Do they bolt on?

octain11 10-03-2012 03:00 PM

4th gen LGT brakes are actually really good for factory brakes, they are larger, should clear with 17s, i am not sure about 16, yes they will bolt right up youll need larger rotors tho