Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Turbo Inlet Help! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193942)

Matt166 09-30-2012 04:41 PM

Turbo Inlet Help!

Need your help guys, struggling replacing my stock turbo inlet on my 05LGT wagon.

Have the turbo off, being rebuilt. Removed alternator (needed to change belt anyway) Disconnected 3 lines on frontside of engine no worries.

The two nearer the turbo are causing problems. The smaller line on top of inlet has an electrical connection, and a hose - the hose is held on by a permanent clip, looks like its some sort of crush to tighten clip - no way of loosening without cutting it.

The lower larger hose is just being a bitch to remove, looks like the clip should open and there is a notch for it to stay open, but of course it wont, so I am trying to hold the clip open and push the pipe off with a screwdrive.

Removing the IM is really a last resort, I am in pretty deep and dont want to go any deeper and include gasketes for the IM and such.

I thought about cutting up the current inlet, as it is toast anyway.

Will removing the IM bolts give me enough room to get the tubes undone? What is with these crush tube clips that I cant undo - there was engine work done on this car a year ago.

My knuckles are ruined, im frustrated, any help would be great.

angeltalin 09-30-2012 05:23 PM

Dont cut it. The clamp will never stay open, call a friend/wife or husband help have them pull on the thicker lower hose (bypass valve) while you hold the clamp open.

The top hose/connector is your PCV valve, basically a breather hose for the crank case IIRC its not permanently on there the clip release is just deep in there. How many miles on your motor, IIRC the PCV valve can be changed ever 30k miles.

m sprank 09-30-2012 05:33 PM

Removing the intake manifold is the easiest way.

Matt166 09-30-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angeltalin (Post 4094105)
Dont cut it. The clamp will never stay open, call a friend/wife or husband help have them pull on the thicker lower hose (bypass valve) while you hold the clamp open.

The top hose/connector is your PCV valve, basically a breather hose for the crank case IIRC its not permanently on there the clip release is just deep in there. How many miles on your motor, IIRC the PCV valve can be changed ever 30k miles.

So the top hose will come off with the plastic attached, no removal of the clamp? That sounds good.

Yeah I will get the boss to help me with the lower, pretty sure I can get those off with a few more blooded knuckles - should I undo the bolt that holds the rest of that tube on before it goes up to the IC?

Sprank having never removed the IM on this car before I am a little hesitant as I already am pretty deep into the unknown - Lots of hoses/gaskets coming off sounds to me like a recipe for getting stuck putting things back together! Thanks for the advice anyways, I will keep plugging away.

angeltalin 09-30-2012 07:22 PM

Yeah undo that bolt keep at it you'll get it done

compsurge 09-30-2012 07:44 PM

I have 45-degree long-reach pliers just for this :)

The hose clamps will lock open if you set them on the part that does this (sorry I can't elaborate... just trust me?). I think the easiest way to describe this is to open it as far as it goes and slowly release it. The clamp will seat on itself in an open position due to a raised portion in the center of the clamp.

locolgt2.5 10-01-2012 12:24 PM

removing the intake manifold is not as bad as it seems. Just take pictures of everything. It will take less time with the intake manifold off then trying to mess with if with the intake manifold on. It's only about 10 bolts and about 6 electrically connections. Take pictures and you will be ok.

dr_sharp 10-01-2012 12:26 PM

^and fuel lines, and gaskets. i doubt that bolts or electrical connections scares anyone who already has their turbo out ;)

2006ltdlegacy 10-01-2012 05:06 PM

Im stuck at the same point. Im just gonna take the intake manifold off and Im nooo mechanic, I just research the forums and get all the knowledge I need to know and dive in. I suggest doing the same, for as I can tell its the only real solution to replacing these inlets without doing more damage. I wasn't anticipating replacing the inlet until I removed the turbo and it was torn to shreds. Im just mad I sold the tgv deletes.

angeltalin 10-01-2012 06:27 PM

Its possible guys...just throwing that out there ive done it twice, once with out the turbo on and once with the turbo on, never worked on a car before i owned my legacy. Now i can do it in about 45 mins

m sprank 10-01-2012 06:34 PM

It can be done. Did one last week without pulling the manifold. Probably took around 1 hour. Easier on WRX than LGT (metal manifolds give a bit more room to work and plumbing is just different enough). But for those with "Homer Simpson" hands like mine removing the manifold can be much less frustrating.

Matt166 10-01-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_sharp (Post 4094952)
^and fuel lines, and gaskets. i doubt that bolts or electrical connections scares anyone who already has their turbo out ;)

Too true Sharpy, I already have 1 can of worms open, I would like to keep it that way!

I have the turbo, DP, IC, Alt, Vaccum line and another line thats in the way removed, I am pretty sure I have enough room to get the job done. I will lose a bit more skin no doubt, but we will get there - my boss also has a keg of sams lager on tap which is helping a great deal - frosty glasses in the freezer too!

Just to be clear before I start swearing again tomorrow, the line up top coming from the PCV valve will come off completely when I push in the electrical looking grey clip, correct?

Matt166 10-01-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m sprank (Post 4095531)
It can be done. Did one last week without pulling the manifold. Probably took around 1 hour. Easier on WRX than LGT (metal manifolds give a bit more room to work and plumbing is just different enough). But for those with "Homer Simpson" hands like mine removing the manifold can be much less frustrating.

Ha, yeah im 6 1, my hands are like spades! Good for catching, shit for working on imported cars!

2006ltdlegacy 10-02-2012 09:11 AM

got the manifold all loose and slid the inlet out. It just one damn hose that gets in the way but not a problem now. Taking a break from the rain (gotta love floridas 10 min. showers) Then I just gotta reinstall everything and all should be good.

m sprank 10-02-2012 07:45 PM

Glad it is working out for you.