Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Buzzing Sound Behind Drivers Rear Wheel. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193663)

Aaron48 09-25-2012 07:42 PM

Buzzing Sound Behind Drivers Rear Wheel.

So I have heard this twice now. There is a low buzzing sound like a small air compressor running but not as loud. The sound is behind the drivers side rear wheel. I took a quick video of it turn the volume way up to hear it. It lasted about a minute and then stopped. Any ideas???
I have a 2013 Legacy 2.5i Premium.

bimdub 09-25-2012 10:29 PM

without mine here to look under, a couple possibilities may include the parking brake motor, but there would be something wrong if it ran that long, also fuel pump? not sure where it is located on the Legacy, probably in tank, the noise reminds me of auto ride height adjustment on some vehicles, I don't recall our generation of Legacy having that option, so I lean towards the other two.

does the parking brake engage properly?

if thats a fuel pump....it sounds dry and unable to develop pressure....your not empty are you?

travlnman 11-29-2012 09:17 PM

My wife's 2013 Legacy does the same thing....I have no answers yet.

minuccims 11-30-2012 04:00 AM

Behind the rear wheel ... could be the muffler heat shield. Four screws mount it. Take a look.

Edit - Ok, listened to the sound clip this from this morning and this post is not applicable!

MN3.6R 11-30-2012 05:10 AM

I agree it sounds like an auto level system. I would say fuel pump. Is the car on?? Or is the key in the on position, just not started? Is this right after you turn it off and take the key out?

RailKill 11-30-2012 07:24 AM

That's an odd sound. I say just take it to the dealer.

PoManzAWD 11-30-2012 09:02 AM

I wonder if it's the hamsters blow-drying their hair?

That is an odd one. I've had newer vehicles with secondary air injection (two GMs) where an electronic air pump would blow air into the exhaust at certain times, but never with the vehicle off.

I wonder if it's got something to do with the EVAP system on the latest PZEV Scoobies? A vacuum pump or the likes?

Joel

GTEASER 11-30-2012 12:33 PM

The rental Jetta I am driving right now makes a sound similar to that, and coming from the same area, every time I go out to garage and open one of the doors. The car could be off for 12 hours and as soon as I unlock it, the noise starts and continues for several minutes. My wifes 328 makes this sound for several minutes after the car is shut off.

travlnman 11-30-2012 04:51 PM

my wife's was doing this at 11:00 at night, had not been driven for over 6 hours, no doors opened...just doing this all on it's own.

PoManzAWD 11-30-2012 05:16 PM

From the 2013's owner's manual. General info. Page 9:

"You may hear a noise from under the vehicle approximately 5 to 10 hours after the engine is turned off. However, this does not indicate a malfunction. This noise is caused by the operation of the fuel evaporation leakage checking system and the operation is normal. The noise will stop after approximately 15 minutes."

Joel

Jay12Legacy 12-02-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4180611)
The rental Jetta I am driving right now makes a sound similar to that, and coming from the same area, every time I go out to garage and open one of the doors. The car could be off for 12 hours and as soon as I unlock it, the noise starts and continues for several minutes. My wifes 328 makes this sound for several minutes after the car is shut off.

thats the fuel pump primming the system on a VW... the Subaru noise sounds like EVAP test running for loose gas cap

Jay