Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   My 2013 legacy 2.5i limited driving impressions (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193654)

Malone75 09-25-2012 05:49 PM

My 2013 legacy 2.5i limited driving impressions

I come from a somewhat long line of subarus. My first was a 2005 2.5rs with an STi swap second was 2008 legacy gt spec.b that I sold to some lucky guy on here while deployed to Iraq. Third was a 2011 outback sold that to one of my friends because he really needed a car and he does triathlons and now my current model the 2013 legacy limited 2.5i in graphite grey. First off let me just say that I really wanted a silver 2012 3.6R limited but after asking to my wife and Her making sense of the situation, I opted for the 2013 2.5i instead. Now lets just get this out of the way and yes it is quite slow compared to my spec.B lol but anyways so here my driving impressions. I bought the car last Thursday with 4 miles on the odometer, after putting roughly 300 miles on it I must say that it is impressive to say the least. The torque of the newer fb series engine mated to the CVT tranny is great, this is my first CVT in a vehicle but I must say it is great. No more gear searching up hills with this tranny and this 2nd gen CVT Is considerably quieter than the last Gen. I would seriously think Subaru should do 6 speed manuals and CVTs in all their cars from now on. Now to the good part handling just like a typical Subaru takes corner with AWD surgical precision with the most minuscule rear pitch. I think the 19mm or larger upgrade would go well with the car. The front steering is perfect with the 26mm upfront and you have good steering input as well. Now with the outside of the car finally the front end of the legacy is super close to its JDM counterpart so thanks for Subaru on that one. The interior is nice and the new navigation screen is an improvement over last years. Now for the eyesight system man am I impressed with that especially with the adaptive cruise control and the collision avoidance I put a big cardboard box up to show my dad :D I was going to get an impreza sport hatch but I am glad that I chose another legacy with only a 4 mpg difference so not too bad. I will post some pics as soon as I can and its great to be back on the forums!!

hmmrdwn 09-25-2012 05:54 PM

Nice. Sounds like you are happy.

Malone75 09-25-2012 05:57 PM

Yea for the most part I drive 90 miles round trip to work for the time being going up the mountains everyday so I'm averaging 27.5 mpg so my wallet is a little happier lol

hmmrdwn 09-25-2012 07:21 PM

They are safe and efficient. I got rear ended today by a distracted driver and the Subaru held up great. Bumper cover, energy absorber, foam padding, possible cross bar and miscellaneous. Glad I got a safe car with the wacky drivers out there.

Malone75 09-25-2012 07:39 PM

Yea true story! I recently moved back to PA from VA and my insurance went up 80 buck I think it's because of all the ppl hitting deer lol

EMVirostek 09-25-2012 07:51 PM

Malone...I'm originally from Johnstown and I know the mountains and deer like the back of my hand. I was just out there last weekend for the 1st time since buying my 2012 2.5i 6MT. I had fun driving those roads again ;)

Good luck with your new Subie!

Malone75 09-25-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks yea I work in Johnstown lol
Also I love the roads as well especially flying down laurel mountain on the curves

flakeyblakee 09-25-2012 09:31 PM

I'm loving the 2013 over my 2011 Legacy. The EyeSight really makes my 100 mile daily commute much more tolerable.

Kevzaz 09-25-2012 09:54 PM

Congrats on the car! I'm getting mine October 3rd and I can't wait! My first new car... I also live in PA! Near Hazleton.

Almatti 09-26-2012 04:25 AM

The Limited 17" Wheels & 225/50/17 Tire Comments

Malone: CONGRATS on the new Ride !!!! You have the Limited with 17" Wheels correct? 225/50/17 tires ? I have upgraded my 2010 Legacy Premium with 17" Subaru Wheels and got new 225/50/17 Cooper ZEONs for the tires. Other than having the wheel Balancing rectified - going back today to my dealer - how do you find the ride on these tires?? My 16" wheels with 205/60/16 tires felt a little "softer" - a bit more comfortable ride. IMO, I find that the handling is better, not markedly better, (still debating whether buying the 17" wheels was really worth it), but there has been a sacrifice in the ride.

The Coopers have a 45 day Return Policy. I am strongly considering exchanging to Cooper CS4 Touring for the same size which is in the Brochure for both the 2012 and 2013 Legacy 2.5i Limited. The 2010 2.5i Limited comes with 215/50/17. That's the size my Dealer recommends I go for?? I'm going to get the Zeons rebalanced and see how that goes before I drive my self and the Tire Dealer Bonkers !!! Your opinion on the Feeling of the Ride is appreciated.

Malone75 09-26-2012 05:35 AM

Almatti the ride quality of the stock 17s are not too shabby there is some roughness when on washboard roads and such but other than that ride quality is tolerable. I think Subaru could have went a little taller on the tire for ride quality but for stock rims and tires not bad at all. After taxes this year hopefully putting on some Rojas for he summer lol

PoManzAWD 09-26-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malone75 (Post 4086886)
I come from a somewhat long line of subarus...

Man I guess. 4 Subarus in 7yrs!

Assuming your 2011 Outback was CVT equipped, how does the new Legacy perform in comparison?

In regards to your ~27.5mpg, that should get a bit better, although we don't have a ton of data on the new FB powered Legacys.

My work commute is an 80 mile, twisty/hilly, but mostly high speed. I average the low 30's warm weather.

Joel

cipher_nemo 09-26-2012 10:17 AM

Awesome! I love my 2011 2.5i Premium. It's not peppy like past models, but it has torque and is super smooth with the CVT. But it's also not quirky like past models. They really refined the 5th gen and 2013s to be mainstream. It's like having a Camry or Accord, but for 1.) a better price, 2.) CVT, and 3.) AWD. Better yet, it just feels more comfortable and rides better than the Honda and Toyota. And I hated the Nissan (loved the styling, but hated the ride).

My 2011 Premium was right at $20k since I have an uncle who works for a local dealership. I'd love to have a GT model, but at $10k more it's not worth it. For $25k I could have gone for the WRX if performance was more important than comfort. And it's not. :)

dream weave 09-26-2012 11:44 AM

I've been pulling low 30's on the turnpike heading the other way from you, mileage should pick up after break in.

awdG35killer 09-26-2012 01:50 PM

Congrats on adding another Suby to your garage Malone! I too almost got a 13 impreza but the premium 5mt. Ended up with a 13 legacy 6mt. Had a lot of cars between this and my old 05 lgt but I feel like the legacy just needs better tires to handle better. Overall it kicks my 2010 3.6R and 2010 civic ex arse in all turns lol.