Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Quick oil question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193515)

Odlgt 09-23-2012 03:12 PM

Quick oil question

Did a quick search but i cold find anything specific. I had free oil changes on my car for two years after i bought it which have just finally expired. Back to doing my own changes which i actually prefer and have done on all my cars before this one. I went to pick up some oil today at wally world and notcied that mobil 1 full syn comes in quite a few flavors now. I was looking to Get 5w-30 but the only one they had was high milage.... So i bought that. Any difference? My thinking is that it is probably just more resistant to breakdown than a standard oil.

O

wrxwhit 09-23-2012 04:58 PM

Honestly, not a fan of Mobil One from experience with breakdown with my last car (02 wrx). Had to continuously add oil since the car drank it religiously. Switched to Rotella T6 and boom, like magic, oil consumption was almost eliminated. The car was modified at 400whp though. T6 is my friend and I wont look back

acumenhokie 09-23-2012 05:06 PM

Run Motul or T6. Many have reported oil consumption with Mobil 1 as stated above.

hmmrdwn 09-23-2012 05:36 PM

Mobil 1 markets the same oil with a variety of different additive packages. The one you bought is designed for looser high mileage engines to reduce oil consumption. Probably good for loose Subaru engines that drink oil.

Odlgt 09-23-2012 05:50 PM

Hmm interesting. My car doesnt burn any oil at all. I check it between oil changes but it never seems to drop at all which is great. I think i might do the swap over to t6 then. Glad i asked. I have heard others complain about consumption problems with mobil 1 as stated above too. I used mobil 1 in my last car which was a 2000 2.5rs coupe with no problems but i guess its case by case. I guess my perception of rotella (honestly for no reason) was that it was a lower grade oil but i never really gave it a chance either so ill try it out. Im going from non syn to full syn so i hope i dont run into any problems. Only 19k on the car thoughs o i dont anticipate any. Thanks for the info

O

Chris GTO TT 09-23-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odlgt (Post 4083886)
Hmm interesting. My car doesnt burn any oil at all. I check it between oil changes but it never seems to drop at all which is great. I think i might do the swap over to t6 then. Glad i asked. I have heard others complain about consumption problems with mobil 1 as stated above too. I used mobil 1 in my last car which was a 2000 2.5rs coupe with no problems but i guess its case by case. I guess my perception of rotella (honestly for no reason) was that it was a lower grade oil but i never really gave it a chance either so ill try it out. Im going from non syn to full syn so i hope i dont run into any problems. Only 19k on the car thoughs o i dont anticipate any. Thanks for the info

O

That's all marketing though. UOA shows that Subaru Boxers like to chew up and drink Mobil 1 but Shell Rotella T6 holds up well.

hmmrdwn 09-23-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT (Post 4083894)
That's all marketing though. UOA shows that Subaru Boxers like to chew up and drink Mobil 1 but Shell Rotella T6 holds up well.

I had the first two oil changes with Rotella and the engine burned/used oil. Switched to Mobil1 and haven't had any problems. Buddy that's a Subaru mechanic said they use Rotella because it's the cheapest brand they can get.

I'm not saying Mobil1 is the best, but it meets all the industry standards. I used it in three previous turbo engines and it always ran clean and never caused any problems. I do uoa every 20K and got well over 100K on the cars without oil burning, coking, engine wear or sludge.

Find one that works for you without busting your wallet.

Odlgt 09-23-2012 07:44 PM

I hear you hmmrdown. The argument could go either way imo. People using either can have issues. Luck of the draw i guess.

Chris GTO TT 09-23-2012 07:46 PM

Of course that's why you should do your own UOA. Generally speaking T6 has shown more consistent results than M1.

hmmrdwn 09-23-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odlgt (Post 4083988)
I hear you hmmrdown. The argument could go either way imo. People using either can have issues. Luck of the draw i guess.

Yeah, oil is worse than Ford vs. Chevy. More has a little voodoo science with the additives, durability and other claims. A lot of anecdotal evidence out there...with many companies, including Mobil, selling a high priced disposable product. What's even worse, you could buy a cheap brand and possibly get the exact same results. Oil is worse than beer in that you don't even get a buzz and you piss it out at the next oil change. Rotella is designed for diesel engines and has additives to reduce soot and buildup. Probably perfect if you are driving a subaru turbo diesel.

Some people spend thousands of dollars changing their oil early and reading sales pitches on labels. In 500 years historians will be laughing at the distances we went for our cars and compare the products to snake oil and elixirs sold by traveling salesman. Myself included...

bimdub 09-24-2012 02:52 AM

even though I am not using synthetic in my 2010, I am a fan of it, Rotella is good stuff, and in many ways so is Mobil 1, I myself ran the Mobil 1 in my Honda S2000, mostly because I felt the higher loads on the engine from 9000 rpms warranted the use of better than dino oil, Also my SCCA prepped BMW 320is running dual Weber DCOE carbs and a 304 degree camshaft was always run on Mobil 1 10-30 and after 200,000 miles at the teardown you could nearly eat food from inside the valvetrain area, and the engine bearings and cylinder wall still met OEM specifications, too bad I missed a shift and introduced a couple exhaust valves to the pistons. (before anyone asks....after driving an S2000 at the track its best not to jump into a vehicle that can't take 9k shifts) If my Legacy had a turbo I would go with either Rotella or Mobil 1, but to reflect the original poster's query....its a different additive package, it will not harm your less than high mileage engine, since it has additives to reduce oil burning and there seems to be a number of people who have noticed the Subaru chews it up.....its probably better than the regular stuff....but I think the Rotella would be better suited in a turbo engine (it was originally formulated for turbo diesel engines....and has better additives for turbo protection) I think it can be found cheaper as well.

Jsmith 09-24-2012 03:49 AM

I use Mobil1 in everything with no issues yet. I do not race or tune my motors, so I may not have the expertise you are looking for.

hmmrdwn 09-24-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimdub (Post 4084238)
even though I am not using synthetic in my 2010, I am a fan of it, Rotella is good stuff, and in many ways so is Mobil 1, I myself ran the Mobil 1 in my Honda S2000, mostly because I felt the higher loads on the engine from 9000 rpms warranted the use of better than dino oil, Also my SCCA prepped BMW 320is running dual Weber DCOE carbs and a 304 degree camshaft was always run on Mobil 1 10-30 and after 200,000 miles at the teardown you could nearly eat food from inside the valvetrain area, and the engine bearings and cylinder wall still met OEM specifications, too bad I missed a shift and introduced a couple exhaust valves to the pistons. (before anyone asks....after driving an S2000 at the track its best not to jump into a vehicle that can't take 9k shifts) If my Legacy had a turbo I would go with either Rotella or Mobil 1, but to reflect the original poster's query....its a different additive package, it will not harm your less than high mileage engine, since it has additives to reduce oil burning and there seems to be a number of people who have noticed the Subaru chews it up.....its probably better than the regular stuff....but I think the Rotella would be better suited in a turbo engine (it was originally formulated for turbo diesel engines....and has better additives for turbo protection) I think it can be. found cheaper as well.

Many of us could use a conventional oil and be fine. The main advantages are at the temp extremes.

Types4 09-24-2012 09:36 AM

If you want to run mobil 1, go for the 0w-40 euro formula. One of the main differences between euro approved oil and others is that the euro ones require a minimum of 3.5 Cp ( for the HTHS test)

HTHS = high temperate/high shear

Rotella comes in at 4.0 cp
Mobile 0w-40 in at 3.8 cp
Mobile 5w-30 in at 3.1 cp

Higher HTHS provides better wear protection. Especially for the turbo bearings as oil gets pretty hot in there.

Odlgt 09-27-2012 07:01 AM

Anyone know what sice the crush washer is for the drain plug? Need to go pick up a new one and dont know the size. Thanks

O