Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Lobbed Off 3.6r Resonator Today.... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193472)

TheOneDoubleN 09-22-2012 03:37 PM

Lobbed Off 3.6r Resonator Today....

So I finally decided to just do it already and had a muffler shop cut out the resonator and replace it with some straight pipe. I haven't driven it more than 5 miles in heavy traffic yet, but here are my impressions so far:

Volume:
There's a nice, small boost in the volume level, no hint of any kind of droning. I'm happy with the volume increase, it's what I was expecting. I didn't bother doing any before and after recordings since it would probably be an imperceptible difference over an audio clip the boost is so slight (but still a noticeable change, enough that someone who has been in my car enough might ask about it, but no where near as loud as swapping out the mufflers entirely). If the stock volume level is a 3 out of 10, and an AVO catback (which I had on my '10 LGT) was an 9 out of 10 compared to stock, I'd put the volume level of this mod at a 4 out of 10. The volume at idle did not change. The rpm range with the biggest volume impact was 1000 to 2500rpm.

Tone:
This is where I'm on the fence. It sounds much, much better from 1000-2000rpm, it has a little more bass now than before, which sounds great the way it's muted (rich and full, without being loud or booming, or anything close to it). You might be able to describe the volume increase as going from stock to stock w/ a catted downpipe (if we were talking about a GT).

From 2000-3000rpm, the tone is not what I would have expected, it starts to become a little nasal, more treble, less bassy, and I'd say in this rpm, the volume increase over stock was minimal. So far I'm not thrilled with the tone change in this range, but I don't hate it either, I guess I'm indifferent at this point. From 3000 to red line, it is basically the same tone as stock, just a little louder.

Overall Impression:
For $65 and 15m of time, there wasn't too much risk I was taking on. Right now it's something I'm going to keep, but over the next few weeks I'll see if it's something I want to stick with or not. The overall boost in the exhaust presence is nice, and I can also tell that an aftermarket exhaust would have been louder than I wanted to go.

I'll update this post once I've had a chance to take some kind of trip on the highway.

Someone was asking before if the resonator was a straight through design, and yes, I can confirm now 100% that it is, and looks actually very efficient. So if you have axle backs and are thinking the resonator might be obstructing some air flow and are considering removing it, it definitely is not. If anything the other joints further upstream in the exhaust (between the cats and resonator) are more restrictive.

ItalianLegacy 09-22-2012 07:42 PM

i was thinking of taking out my resonator and replacing it with one from a new sti. they sound pretty beefy stock and i already have perrin abe. i just don't want to do it for nothing and get no sound change at all. im looking for a deeper growl and less riiiiceeeee.

Sleepr56 09-22-2012 08:07 PM

Very nice write up. Any pictures of the work the shop did?

TheOneDoubleN 09-22-2012 08:56 PM

Didn't bother with pics since it's such a very, very basic chop and weld job.

TheOneDoubleN 09-22-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItalianLegacy (Post 4083093)
i was thinking of taking out my resonator and replacing it with one from a new sti. they sound pretty beefy stock and i already have perrin abe. i just don't want to do it for nothing and get no sound change at all. im looking for a deeper growl and less riiiiceeeee.

I'm not sure that would make much of a change, especially if you already have a perrin abe (plus I have no idea if they're the same relative shape, which is important to fit under the car correctly).

Removing it would seem cheaper if you were decided on doing something with the stock one and wanted more sound out of what you have now.

ItalianLegacy 09-23-2012 07:37 AM

only 1 way to find out

minuccims 09-23-2012 08:28 AM

From the limited experience from evolving the exhaust on the LGT, the note of the exhaust changed in going from 2.5" to 3.0", all else being similar.

For some time, ran with 3" DP mated to 2.5" OEM, mated to axle backs. When replaced with all 3"', the tone was fuller across the rpm range.

Perhaps run a 3" section from where the resonator was to the front of the Y?

wrxmax 09-26-2012 09:53 AM

Any updates on your impression with a few more miles on it after the change? Do you get any kind of burble or backfires when decelerating down a hill?

cipher_nemo 09-26-2012 10:07 AM

Cool, thanks for sharing your experience with that change. :)

TheOneDoubleN 09-26-2012 10:29 AM

Ok updates:

wrxmax, no burbling or backfiring, I would think that impossible with stock mufflers, so that was definitely not a concern under any condition.

So here's my impression now that I've had a week to drive around in traffic and do some freeway driving:

For $65, I'm glad I did it. I've got a little more exhaust presence without having to do much, or spend much. Now, just to kind of recap here, idle to 2000rpm sounds great, just a bit bassier than stock, and a smidge louder. 2000 to 2500/2800rpm sounds a bit nasal and a little raspy, kind of like a G35. This is the one range I'm not thrilled with, and I'm sure would sound much more refined with an actual exhaust system or muffler swap. Above 2500/2800 rpm, it sounds great, basically the same tone as stock, just a tad louder.

Overall, I'm glad I did it, but the sound may not be exactly to everyone's liking, it certainly wasn't what I was expecting (the change in tone that is, the volume bump was exactly what I was expecting). Not sure if I would recommend this to someone or not, it feels like whether the sound is pleasing or not would be highly subjective, some may love it, some may not, but for $65, I didn't mind taking the risk. In parking garages it sounds beautiful under 2000rpm (not that I'm ever much above that rpm in a parking garage).

Compared to stock it isn't that much louder, but the change is certainly noticeable. Freeway cruising sounds like stock until you're accelerating, then the slight bump in volume is noticeable. It's nowhere close to a volume that would ever bother me, and when I picked my dad up from surgery yesterday, he made no mention of it.

TheOneDoubleN 09-26-2012 10:33 AM

One note, I had said that at idle, the sound did not change, this is only warm idle. When you start the car and it is warming up at 1500-2000rpm, it is definitely louder until it warms up.

Odlgt 09-26-2012 06:43 PM

Might be a dumb question but is this possible on the lgt? If i recall we are resonated too but i wonder if things would get ricey quick by taking out the res.

O

Blizzard 09-27-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odlgt (Post 4088710)
Might be a dumb question but is this possible on the lgt? If i recall we are resonated too but i wonder if things would get ricey quick by taking out the res.

O

Yes but it's huge. Not sure if it's the same as a 3.6R. Think you'd be better off doing AB's.

TheOneDoubleN 09-27-2012 07:56 AM

Yes, the exhausts are identical from the intermediate pipe back (same resonator).

faded-a-fool 09-27-2012 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN (Post 4089333)
Yes, the exhausts are identical from the intermediate pipe back (same resonator).

Can you clarify? I needed to get a GT catback exhaust fabbed (mid pipe only) in order to fit my 3.6R.

They did a shitty job BTW...waste of time and money.