Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I just need to vent..... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193409)

SUPERBU 09-21-2012 10:24 AM

I just need to vent.....

I love my car. It's by far the coolest, fastest, best handling, and nicest looking car I have ever owned. It's also the only new car I have ever purchased.

With that said- My GT has also had more problems than any other car. I haven't had a car payment in 4 years and my plan was to keep the car for a long time. I have 89K miles and I'm debating on getting rid of it instead of sinking more $$ into it. I still love the car so it's a hard decission. :spin:

Problems:
- 2 clutches
- 3 throw out bearings
- 2 sets of control arm bushings.
- Frozen brake calipers
- electrical issues
- Broken window switches
- Coolant leaks
- clunking in the rear end
- Rear brake line came loose

Right now I need:
- Tranny removed to see why clutch is making noise
- Front axle seals replaced (leaking tranny fluid)
- 2 CV boots replaced
- Front control arm bushings again
- Timing belt soon.

.blackgt. 09-21-2012 10:27 AM

sooooo fix it and drive it. You will be happy not having a car payment. Grass isn't always greener.

apexjapan 09-21-2012 10:52 AM

I understand the frustration, but the old radio show by those car guys got it right - a new car will never be cheaper than fixing an old car. Getting into something new that's comparable means $500-700 a month car loan payment. Doing the timing belt and possibly the clutch alone will only be one month of car payment.

When it comes to the parts that need to be done - consider replacing them with sturdier components than OEM. Front LCA bushings are soft and prone to cracking, just get some poly bushings and enjoy the crisper feel.

When it comes to the clutch - well, either you need to adjust your driving style, or you need to find a new place to do your clutch work.

Max Capacity 09-21-2012 11:24 AM

Stop your whinning and drive the car more. It's cheaper on taxes & insurance.

But what do I know...

I dumb enough to own two of these. Any I'll bet I've spent a ton more money on my 05 then you did.

I'm at about $7000 this year alone.

copenhagen6123 09-21-2012 01:09 PM

I figured this car was going to be like a really hot girlfriend. The extra work and money you put in to keep her around will only make you appreciate her more, and when you do get the chance to take her for a real ride its worth all the while. You have to admit there is something special about driving a Legacy and being a part of this community of enthusiasts.

gr4v3r 09-21-2012 01:20 PM

:iloveyou:

Max Capacity 09-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copenhagen6123 (Post 4081679)
I figured this car was going to be like a really hot girlfriend. The extra work and money you put in to keep her around will only make you appreciate her more, and when you do get the chance to take her for a real ride its worth all the while. You have to admit there is something special about driving a Legacy and being a part of this community of enthusiasts.

That about sums it up ;)

ALX2987 09-21-2012 01:45 PM

usually cheaper to keep her

BDII 09-21-2012 01:46 PM

Sup man!

Get rid of it now while you still have equity in it! once it hits 100k...

We still need to meet up! PM next week.

PeterJMC 09-21-2012 01:49 PM

I know the feeling... constantly dumping money into something that keeps breaking. Start new and don't have to deal with the pains of another thing going wrong.

Like others have said and I'm sure you know... it's cheaper to fix her than to replace her. Maybe you just need to find a good mechanic.

Bast 09-21-2012 01:50 PM

I need a new shortblock, as I have low compression and some leaking. I just bought the car a month ago so I feel your pain. But I can't fathom selling her!

Good luck with your decision either way!

06silvarubiLGT 09-21-2012 01:55 PM

Keep it. 2 clutches in 89k, someones got a heavy foot. Get whiteline or AVO LCAs and if you dont autoX you should never have to do those bushings again. Axles are like 60$ea and not to hard to DIY.Timing belt is maintenance dont hold that against her. I had a caliper seize too, coolant leaks happen stuff gets weak or stretched over time. All in all your talkin like 1000$ in repairs more if you cant DIY, but your looking at 3 months payments per say and you still own it....

mattg 09-21-2012 01:56 PM

My car has 97k and I haven't had any of those problems. I did replace my clutch at ~ 65k but it was more as a precaution and to get rid of the DMFW. The only major failure I've had is a broken 5th gear, which I don't believe was any fault of my own. That was $1200 to fix and I was lucky it was that cheap.

BoozeRS05 09-21-2012 01:56 PM

Same here, bought my wagon outright and I've been spending more then I ever thought it would need to get it running right.

I'm in for the long haul tho, cheaper then any other option at this point and its a sweet car.

bucko3the7man 09-21-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06silvarubiLGT (Post 4081784)
Keep it. 2 clutches in 89k, someones got a heavy foot. Get whiteline or AVO LCAs and if you dont autoX you should never have to do those bushings again. Axles are like 60$ea and not to hard to DIY.Timing belt is maintenance dont hold that against her. I had a caliper seize too, coolant leaks happen stuff gets weak or stretched over time. All in all your talkin like 1000$ in repairs more if you cant DIY, but your looking at 3 months payments per say and you still own it....

+1. I did one of my CV axles the other day and it was cake.