Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New Subaru Owner from the PNW (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193373)

mk1daily 09-20-2012 03:49 PM

New Subaru Owner from the PNW

Just introducing myself. I'm Marvin. I just picked up a 1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon.

It's pretty ugly at this point but it runs and drives. I already replaced the clutch and tires.

Currently trying to find out which front ends are direct swaps because mine is wrecked. Then I can make some decisions. :)

In the end, it will be resprayed white, similar front end of a legacy GT, lowered on 18x8 Rota grids(or similar).

Gire 09-20-2012 03:55 PM

Welcome from a little bit north of you!

mk1daily 09-20-2012 04:56 PM

Thanks! Glad to already meet a semi-local!

Gire 09-20-2012 07:22 PM

There is a big PNW contingent here. Same with us BC guys.

Head on over to the PNW regional forum and see what's going on.

monkeyposeur 09-20-2012 08:13 PM

Welcome to the site! I love the first gens. What do you mean by front end, exactly? Pics are appreciated.

mk1daily 09-26-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4080767)
Welcome to the site! I love the first gens. What do you mean by front end, exactly? Pics are appreciated.

I need a new hood, fenders, grill, and front bumper.

I have been told that those parts from different models bolt right up. I really like the look of the Outback front end and I'm shooting for something like that. This is the end look I'm going for.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8037/8...60a1482292.jpg

SBT 09-26-2012 05:33 PM

Welcome and glad you could join us.

There's several different ways to approach changing out the look. Some of the pieces are near-direct bolt-ons (mostly in the suspension area), but with some cutting and tweaking, the body parts can be made to fit. Recommend you get to a local junk yard/you pull-it and find a set of front fenders and fascia on the cheap and test-fit the parts. Within generations, it's a pretty easy fit, cross-platform, less so, but still doable. Likely someone in the 1st gen sub-forum has seen this/done it already.

Good luck with your project and again, welcome.

boxkita 09-26-2012 05:37 PM

Welcome to the forum, and PNW Subie fans. Need to get you on an autox or racetrack soon, so you'll fit in better. :-)

If you are in Spanaway, have you visited PIA (Pacific Import Auto, I think). Should be off Highway 7, but dont quote me. I had to use the nav to get there. Anyway, they are a great Subie shop and might be able to help you with sourcing parts.

BDII 10-05-2012 12:09 PM

welcome!!

mk1daily 10-06-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxkita (Post 4088572)
Welcome to the forum, and PNW Subie fans. Need to get you on an autox or racetrack soon, so you'll fit in better. :-)

If you are in Spanaway, have you visited PIA (Pacific Import Auto, I think). Should be off Highway 7, but dont quote me. I had to use the nav to get there. Anyway, they are a great Subie shop and might be able to help you with sourcing parts.

I haven't been to PIA yet but I drive by it every day. I've called up there a few times and chatted their ears off though. They seem like some cool dudes.

I wanna autox it :) I'm used to autoxing rabbits but I'm sure the subie wagon will be way different.

boxkita 10-06-2012 01:50 PM

I've autox=ed my wagon, as well as a 2nd gen wagon. The best advice I ever got was to drive it like ti was stolen. It helps if you leave the roof rack and snow tires on, too. :-)

Look up iggydawg, he's hardcore autox out here. Helps with the club, instructs, etc. There's one more day, I believe, on Oct 20. Take your car as is, go run. You'll hvae fun. Ride in everyone else's car, too.

A stock wagon has a lot of sway and body roll. However, its the outside front tire that gets flogged. You'll never get enough tire to stay in class to make up for it. OTOH, there's nothing like a wagon posting in the top 10 for FTOD.

Look up for motorsports forum. There are lots of autox ppl there. Whitetiger, driftmotion, frank_ster, wpmarky, and many others I've forgotten win championships year after year driving legacies in autox.

If you get bored with autox, there's lots of track driving options, too. Just stay away from ryangt, as he attracts drama like bees to honey.

PeterJMC 11-19-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk1daily (Post 4088407)

Wagon looks awesome :)

Welcome to the forum!