Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exterior/Aesthetic (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Yellow Laminex Covers or Yellow Fog Light Bulbs (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193276)

NavigatorsLegacy 09-18-2012 11:01 PM

Yellow Laminex Covers or Yellow Fog Light Bulbs

On fog lights for fifth gen....

Want a nice yellow color only for fog lights. Whose done this mod?

In my research I came across some options...

Which is better? PIAA H11 PLASMA ION YELLOW 55=110W bulbs or
Yellow Laminex covers over stock OEM fog light bulbs?

or...are there better options still?
Opinions/suggestions?

Screamin 09-19-2012 01:09 PM

Both. That way when they are off they look yellow. When they are on, they have a true yellow color to them. I have just the laminex on mine and look killer during the daylight. At night, they kind of have a washed out yellow look to them but still better than white.

Gire 09-19-2012 01:16 PM

Just put the yellow bulbs in for a more OEM, classy look.

The overlays make the front end stand out more, and look more aftermarket. Depends on what you want.

I have those PIAA lights now, unless you can find them for a screaming deal online or something, they are overpriced. Save your money and buy some Eurolites or something. They all basically throw the same light onto the ground.

Screamin 09-19-2012 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gire (Post 4078607)
I have those PIAA lights now, unless you can find them for a screaming deal online or something, they are overpriced.

How much did you pay for them? I see them on Amazon for $50.

These are pics of my fogs with the Laminex on them. The second pic kind of gives you an idea of what they look like against 6000K HID's

Gire 09-19-2012 03:31 PM

I paid about 40 bucks but I know the guys who run an auto parts store and they gave me 60% off becuase they hadn't sold a set in a long time...

The retail on them was over 100 bucks CAN$. They were the Japanese version though... imported.

I stand by my opinion that they are way too expensive unless you can get them for a huge discount.

Brett 09-19-2012 04:55 PM

go with hoen fog bulbs! i got them for mine and its a true yellow while keeping your lens clear when off. i had a bulb/film combo and wasn't happy with it. plus the film burnt. if you like my avatar lights then hoens should be your choice. and they're only about $45 shipped

Chris GTO TT 09-19-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 4078944)
go with hoen fog bulbs! i got them for mine and its a true yellow while keeping your lens clear when off. i had a bulb/film combo and wasn't happy with it. plus the film burnt. if you like my avatar lights then hoens should be your choice. and they're only about $45 shipped

Those look good in might have to get a set.

Brett 09-19-2012 07:01 PM

i did some intense research and after looking through some forums, somebody suggested them and said how good they were. so i gave them a try and i couldn't have been happier. they're just as yellow (not as bright) as hid's and just a simple plug in. i had piaa plasma ion yellow before this and was really disappointed. trust me, the only thing "yellower" would be orange lol. since they dont have the specific fit for subaru, a VW GTI runs the same bulb

Brett 09-19-2012 07:03 PM

actually it may or may not be different for a 5th gen. just do the research for the fitment

NavigatorsLegacy 09-20-2012 06:54 AM

Halogen or HID...questions,questions...

Quote:

Saw pic in your Avatar...nice! Are those just the halogen bulbs or do you have
an HID fog light kit? Also you mentioned the film burnt...was it Laminex?
Has anyone else experienced that? That is crazy! I wouldn't want anything
To melt on my Subaru!

I have a 2011 Legacy 2.5i...I think the size bulb is H11. Is that the same size
As yours? Any info would help!

Screamin 09-20-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

i had a bulb/film combo and wasn't happy with it. plus the film burnt.

The bulbs you have now burnt the Laminex? Damn...

Brett 09-20-2012 08:43 AM

no hid. yours takes an H11 bulb. and yea, i had lamin-x too. i got some nice brown spots on both films

Brett 09-20-2012 08:48 AM

http://www.hoen-usa.com/endurance.htm
there ya go. if you decide on these h11's are available

laff79 09-20-2012 09:07 AM

i spray-painted the glass with yellow stained-glass paint from Michael's and put in some yellow fogs from Candlepower.com. It's ok. To get that yellow that really pops, you need HID's it seems.

Farfrumwork 09-20-2012 10:13 PM

Somewhat relative... I installed the laminix covers on my wifes '07 Fozzy and they burnt the first winter. I think we had winter mountain road sludge build up that helped retain too much heat behind the film - nice brown spots on both.

stock wattage (actually stock bulbs in that car)

I run Hella yellowstar bulbs (~$6ea) in my Leggy fogs - looks good (pretty yellow) and throws an obviously yellow light compared to the headlights, esp on snowy roads. sorry no pics...