Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Megan upgrade (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193116)

ssbtech 09-16-2012 01:09 PM

Megan upgrade

I have about 5 years on my Megan Racing coilovers (the tall ones for the Outback). It's been 5 years of not very comfortable city driving, but they've been pretty good on the freeway.

I don't have the time and money to piece together a Bilstein setup so needless to say I'm looking for another coilover setup.

My understanding is that the BC/BR coilovers have somewhat better and larger dampers than the Megan and combined with Swift springs ride a hell of a lot better.

I'm getting sick of having to take speed bumps at 2MPH in an Outback :spin:

Any thoughts? Thanks.

whitetiger 09-16-2012 01:33 PM

In the scheme of things, megans, BC/BR, ISC, ksport and the like are all crappy coilovers. if you want something better, go for RCE tarmac1's or similar priced units.

that being said, i have a set of coilovers for sale that will put all other available for our cars to shame. :D - see here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...er-192432.html

ssbtech 09-16-2012 01:41 PM

I know that the BC/BR are in the same "class" as the Megans but...

1) Many reports show the BC/BR to be a better product
2) I can't afford to spend $3,000 on coilovers (If I was spending that sort of money I'd find a Bilstein setup for the Outback
3) The better coilover brands don't make Outback coilovers and I'm not going for the "my suspension collapsed" look.

GT_Red 09-16-2012 04:33 PM

Must you have coilovers? Its a wagon, why did you even put those on a wagon to begin with? I would just get KYB with some mild lowering springs.

ssbtech 09-16-2012 04:40 PM

What's wrong with coilovers on a wagon?

xero287 09-16-2012 09:26 PM

I'd recommend doing what I'm currently doing.

Get the BC/BR's.
Get the Swift Spring Upgrade
THEN have the BC's re-valved to match the swifts.

Install, enjoy.

ssbtech 09-16-2012 09:43 PM

Who can re-valve them?

xero287 09-17-2012 05:53 AM

some vendors on nasioc can. Contact circuit motorsports they should be able to help you

ssbtech 09-17-2012 10:45 AM

Price is good. I've sent them an email to ensure that they are in fact the longer Outback XT model. Some people like putting the Legacy coilovers onto the Outback and that won't work for me.

Mark34 09-17-2012 07:58 PM

I'm in the same boat. Looking at getting rid of the Megan's as the one is completely seized and needs complete rebuild. Looking at going with the Koni and Espelir Active Super Down springs though instead of budget coils again. Interested in what your final decision is.

ssbtech 09-17-2012 08:08 PM

My final decision likely won't be anything you're going with as I have an Outback XT.

You're lucky that you have many more options than we do :)

BAC5.2 09-17-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xero287 (Post 4074290)
I'd recommend doing what I'm currently doing.

Get the BC/BR's.
Get the Swift Spring Upgrade
THEN have the BC's re-valved to match the swifts.

Install, enjoy.

That is an awful lot of money to spend on a shitty coilover.

10/10 street cars don't need coilovers.

ssbtech 09-17-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 4075971)
That is an awful lot of money to spend on a shitty coilover.

It's $1300. The vendor states that BC does the Swift install and valves them to match.

I got 5 years out of the Megans, I should be able to get the same from the BC.

And they might not be the best coilovers around, but until Stance and others make some decent ones for the Outback there's not much choice.

I don't have the same time, money or facilities at my disposal as you did to experiment with various spring and spacer combinations for a Bilstein setup.

BAC5.2 09-17-2012 09:04 PM

So why not just buy a set of Bilstein HD's, pinks, and I have a spare set of spacers I'll sell you?

$1300 for shitty coilovers with expensive springs seems like an awful waste of money. Especially since, again, 10/10 street cars do not need coilovers.

joeblow 09-17-2012 09:18 PM

Most people run coilovers on a street car in order to "slam" it. Since you're not really wanting to do that, it stands to reason that a spring and strut combo would be your best option.

I ran Megan's on my LGT for about a thousand miles before I sold the car and it was to go low. I'm running BCs on my WRX now because I want it lower than a spring and strut combo can get me without going with s-techs and a garbage spring rate. It is by no means the best option (spring rate is only somewhat matched to damping, but still better than s-techs and any strut), but I'm a hardparker and will sacrifice some performance to look awesome.