Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2013 3.6r flashing AT Oil Temp and Check Engine after 30 miles (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193080)

feesh 09-15-2012 06:15 PM

2013 3.6r flashing AT Oil Temp and Check Engine after 30 miles

Hello all,

I picked up my factory ordered 3.6r base model today and during my first errand after bringing it home I got a flashing check engine and AT oil temp light show (accompanied by flashing cruise control and solid vdc light). It barely had any power as I pulled into a parking lot and turned the car off. I checked the AT fluid level and it is fine. After restarting the car I now have solid check engine, vdc, and flashing cruise control but it seemed to drive normal on the way back home. I was babying it though. Anyone have this issue? I'll be taking it in first thing Monday.

nadracer 09-15-2012 07:51 PM

I had a similar experience and when I took it to the dealer they said it was the seal on the gas cap was bad.

feesh 09-15-2012 08:33 PM

I thought of that as well but it doesn't seem like the AT Oil Temp would flash because of that. The dealership filled up the tank before they gave it to me. I checked the cap and it seemed tight. Did your AT Oil Temp light flash?

nadracer 09-15-2012 10:12 PM

Everything lit up on my dash when it happened. After restarting the same lights lit up as you had on restart.

laz 09-15-2012 10:25 PM

I had the check engine light and cruise and vdc as well. Went to the dealer and they said it was a gas cap. They reset the light and I was on my way. Not sure about the AT light.

X

Jsmith 09-16-2012 12:54 AM

Same but I dont have an A/T light to flash at me.

Regis1756 09-16-2012 04:28 AM

I had mt a/t light flash on me as well..... I made an appointment to bring it in, but they told me over the phone (Subaru dealership) that it's not possible for it to come on bc it is a sealed part..... Good answer guys! Just bc it is sealed doesn't mean that there could have been an issue...... Sometimes I love dealerships. I just turned the car off and waited a few and it was gone

Lamp 09-16-2012 05:35 AM

I had a similar experience with my 2010 2.5i cvt .. and it was because changing the LED flash relay

Fahad

PoManzAWD 09-16-2012 08:34 AM

For all the OBDII compliant vehicles I've owned, I've never had one light up more than the normal "check engine light" for a loose or bad gas cap. Our 2008 Honda Odyssey even has a loose gas cap icon that will light up on the dash, along with the CEL.

Seems awfully weird to me that an AT oil temp light and all that along with the vehicle going into limp mode (no power) would happen to signify a loose gas cap. Something isn't right there. There's other stuff going on.

Brand-new car or not, the first thing I would do is get myself a basic OBDII/CAN code reader for $30 to find out what really is happening. They're more expensive in the stores, but you can mail order them for $30 from Amazon or the likes.

Joel

ehsnils 09-16-2012 11:39 PM

It's usually a good idea to get a somewhat more expensive reader since the cheapest may not be able to read freeze frame codes and some other useful info.

Freeze Frame is a snapshot information that was captured by the ECU when the fault occurred. Good to have when intermittent problems occurs.

feesh 09-17-2012 09:20 PM

Well, took it in this morning. They are performing TSB 16-80-11R for possible "contamination of the valve body" in the transmission. They drain and flush the transmission and perform a dynamic check. Hopefully this resolves it. I don't like the idea of valve body problems already.

PoManzAWD 09-18-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feesh (Post 4076008)
Well, took it in this morning. They are performing TSB 16-80-11R for possible "contamination of the valve body" in the transmission. They drain and flush the transmission and perform a dynamic check. Hopefully this resolves it. I don't like the idea of valve body problems already.

Yikes.. On brand-new 2013 with basically no miles on it?!?

I'm wondering if the valve-body is easy to get to (right under the pan), or do they need to drop the trans?

Joel

feesh 09-19-2012 03:58 PM

Yes, Yikes....I don't believe they had to drop the transmission, just the pan. Anyway, got it back yesterday and all seemed good until this afternoon. Same dash light show happened. I just got back from dropping it off again. Needless to say I am not pleased. There are now just over 200 miles on the car and it looks like they will probably have to replace the valve body.

Regis1756 09-19-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feesh (Post 4078948)
Yes, Yikes....I don't believe they had to drop the transmission, just the pan. Anyway, got it back yesterday and all seemed good until this afternoon. Same dash light show happened. I just got back from dropping it off again. Needless to say I am not pleased. There are now just over 200 miles on the car and it looks like they will probably have to replace the valve body.

I would tell them that you don't want that car anymore. Ask them to take it back and get a different one. One more time and you have a Lemon law and they have to take it back if you say to!

feesh 09-19-2012 06:03 PM

I believe it has to be 3 or 4 "failed" repair attempts before the lemon law applies. So it would apply the 4th or 5th time you brought it in. I am going to let them fix it and ask them to extend the powertrain warranty to 100k or even 120k.