Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Installed KYB GR-2 with Progress Springs (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192960)

GT_Red 09-13-2012 12:32 PM

Installed KYB GR-2 with Progress Springs
 
Its been about a month since I replace my suspension, and I am very happy with the results. I didn't offer a review right away because there is a break in period where everything has to settle in.

When I first had them it was very stiff and especially over speed bumps. I can say now though its smoothed out and feel much like stock. There is a minimal performance gain, it handles like stock which is what I expected since I did an OEM replacement. It does handle better of course since my car has 88k miles on it. But this combination is pretty good. Stiff, controlled, doesn't give you a head ache over rough pavement. I need new tires soon, so its rougher than usual, but once I get some decent tires on there, should smooth out even better. Nothing wrong with this set up, and have no leaks or anything from a mild 1" drop from the springs. You can tell the shocks are a little bit compressed but I have not bottomed out or anything.

I recommend it for those on a budget for sure.

Kit cost me $500 + $250 install = $750 total, not bad at all.

pnRN 10-10-2012 07:37 PM

Nice review. I'm looking to go that same route. I'd like a little drop but not that mess with adjustable settings since its a DD. Where did you get your suspension kit from? I looked at Fred Beans Parts and spring and dampers are like $600.

ragman 10-11-2012 09:08 AM

I got my KYB's recently from JC Whitney of all places! $242 shipped to my door in two days. Best price I could find :)

AZP Installs 10-11-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnRN (Post 4109603)
Nice review. I'm looking to go that same route. I'd like a little drop but not that mess with adjustable settings since its a DD. Where did you get your suspension kit from? I looked at Fred Beans Parts and spring and dampers are like $600.

Shoot us an email to sales@azpinstalls.com we will help you out with parts and install and are local to NJ.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/14...8/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg
11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.
Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

ttnio 10-11-2012 05:04 PM

Yeah !!! Free shipping on orders over $75.00...Ends this Sunday...Sorry no Koni Sports... Maybe soon...




Quote:

Originally Posted by ragman (Post 4110208)
I got my KYB's recently from JC Whitney of all places! $242 shipped to my door in two days. Best price I could find :)


NickB34 10-17-2012 10:24 AM

I purchased my KYB's on Amazon (they ship from JustSuspension) for $228 and they shipped free with my Amazon Prime membership.

ragman 10-17-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickB34 (Post 4118514)
I purchased my KYB's on Amazon (they ship from JustSuspension) for $228 and they shipped free with my Amazon Prime membership.

Damn Good deal!

F1inspiredLGT 10-17-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickB34 (Post 4118514)
I purchased my KYB's on Amazon (they ship from JustSuspension) for $228 and they shipped free with my Amazon Prime membership.

I've heard a few members had to wait several weeks before they received them from this business. Did you have any problems with them?

Blue GT 10-20-2012 06:48 AM

Did you notice any leaking from the GR2s? Recently paired them with Cobb springs without the best results (leaky rears). Just curious to see if the cobb drop was too aggressive for them but they both (cobb and progress) seem to lower 1" in the rear.

thanks for the input, I may have just installed incorrectly.

NickB34 10-29-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1inspiredLGT (Post 4119226)
I've heard a few members had to wait several weeks before they received them from this business. Did you have any problems with them?

I didn't notice any problems, but i wasn't in hurry so i didn't really pay that close of attention.

NickB34 10-29-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue GT (Post 4123012)
Did you notice any leaking from the GR2s? Recently paired them with Cobb springs without the best results (leaky rears). Just curious to see if the cobb drop was too aggressive for them but they both (cobb and progress) seem to lower 1" in the rear.

thanks for the input, I may have just installed incorrectly.

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell they are leaky? I put tein h.techs on mine... the only thing i really noticed was how much the rear sags, but that is only because it is now more obvious than it was before.

GT_Red 10-30-2012 07:56 AM

Usually you can see the dripping or dried oil down the side of the strut itself.

I too ordered from Amazon and got the free shipping. My shocks have settled in and it looks very nice. No wheel well gap. I drove on them cross country loaded down and dont have any rear sagging.

The only bad thig is the clunk and popping when turning the wheel at a stop, any way to aleviate that?

NickB34 11-01-2012 06:56 PM

I don't have any issue like that, though I did have some clunking and it happened to be that I needed to tighten things up a bit more. Luckily, I could do that by popping the dust cover and getting in there with the pass-through wrench and allen wrench.

htioki 11-14-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickB34 (Post 4140273)
I don't have any issue like that, though I did have some clunking and it happened to be that I needed to tighten things up a bit more. Luckily, I could do that by popping the dust cover and getting in there with the pass-through wrench and allen wrench.

The clunking can be caused by incorrect orientation of the top spring seat/perch. The two holes on the seat must be oriented towards outside of car. I had that problem with my wagon where the previous owner had installed the seat incorrectly. I had to take apart the springs and re-adjust the seat. Clunking is now gone.

F1inspiredLGT 11-14-2012 11:12 AM

Installed KYBs in the car this past weekend, what a great feeling not having to bottom out over every bump in the road. :lol: Car handles brand new after 115k miles.

I do notice a rubbing sound coming from the tophat left side when turning the wheel while parked, I may have the seat off a little. Will inspect this weekend.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


LegacyGT.com