Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New owner of '09 LGT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192825)

Wool007 09-11-2012 09:38 AM

New owner of '09 LGT

Hey guys.

I'm not really new, but i kinda disappeared for a bit. Used to have an '07 Legacy 2.5i. But got a good deal on an '09 LGT. :cool: So new ride. In upstate New York area (Syracuse). I'm a total noob when it comes to doing mods and engine stuff. ( I know the basic principles on how stuff works, but that's about it.) So anyway...looking for friends or whatever to help me mod this thing a bit and be around other Legacy owners.

Also, being that I'm a noob, anything I should know about this car that is different from the 2.5i maintenance or otherwise??? :spin: I've noticed allot of differences from the old one sound wise so I'm assuming everything is okay. From what I can tell everything is stock.

Any help is always appreciated.

jshute 09-11-2012 04:22 PM

Hello! I don't know if you would call me local, I am out in geneseo ny. I have seen a lot of discussions about oil viscosity and brands. But that's to be expected every has their favorite. With the turbo and being a new owner you will want to check the screens in the banjo bolts for debris. A clogged screen can decrease oil flow to the bearing. There are some how to's on the forum on that.

They are fun cars to modify.

sigmafour 09-11-2012 05:21 PM

More of a car than the 2.5i so probably less forgiving if you skimp on maintenance but nothing outrageously different. You do need to make sure you don't do anything that will jeopardize the turbo. The screen mentioned above by Mr Shute is a good place to start but good quality oil is important and everyone's car is a bit different as to what oil works for them. Turbo motors will eat oil if it's too thin or just doesn't like it, you need to move around the brands and find out what works for you. Keep an eye on the oil level VERY regularly. Some people have good luck with the Rotella T6 oil, this is a 10w40 oil for a diesel motor but it works very well in the Subaru, yes our cars call for 5w30 but you'll see what happens if you use that! Mobil1 is generally not a good oil for our cars but there are people who do use it, most of us do not. Read up on the forum almost everything mentioned and so much more is discussed already. Enjoy the car and it really is a fun drive and a reliable car when looked after properly. We're all here to help and happy to have you on board.

Wool007 09-12-2012 06:12 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. The dealership I bought the car from did change the oil in it. I took a look this morning and its still pretty clean and it's full so thats good. I'll do some searching on the forums about the screens and banjo bolts (no idea what those are...yet! HA!) I'm sure I'll find a detailed how to. Im also part of a Subaru club here in CNY so if I get stuck, Im sure one of those guys will come over if I taunt them with food and bubbley beverages.

Qckslvr 09-12-2012 06:33 AM

Welcome to the LGT community, I have an 08 GT Ltd here in Syracuse as well. Ive just recently been bitten by the modification bug myself. Let me know if you need anything, I would be happy to help!

-Mike

Wool007 09-13-2012 06:04 AM

Suhweeeeet! Another 'Cuse kid! Thanks man will def keep in touch. First project will be HID in the lows and, fogs. I had them in my old Legacy and I miss them already. I'll PM you my contract info.

-Chris

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

SBT 09-13-2012 07:05 AM

Welcome.

PeterJMC 11-17-2012 03:54 PM

Welcome to the forum!

wurkenman 11-17-2012 05:20 PM

Welcome.