Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2012 LGT BM9: Invidia Q300 Installed + Notes (cat-back, for now) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192764)

nuclrxn 09-10-2012 09:05 AM

2012 LGT BM9: Invidia Q300 Installed + Notes (cat-back, for now)

2012 Legacy GT (BM9)
Invidia Q300 cat-back
RallySportDirect.com using an 8% Labor Day promo code w/ Free Shipping
Invidia Q300 Quality: 5 / 5

INSTALLATION:

Difficulty (2-person): 1 / 5
Difficulty (1-person): 2 / 5
Tools: ramp set, 12mm & 14mm sockets and wrenches
Notes: Invidia provides all gaskets, bolts & nuts, and pipes to do the installation. No directions included.

Hey guys, my buddy and I just installed the Invidia Q300--cat-back section only since Cobb Stage 2 maps aren't out yet--on my GT. The build quality is top-notch. The exhaust tips are huge and fill the exhaust cut-outs on the rear bumper as if they were meant-to-be. The tips don't jut out obnoxiously. The sound is nice and deep; burble, eh, not so much, although there is a hint of it. Drone isn't as bad I as I imagined. At 65MPH+ (6th gear), it barely exists; at less than 2000RPM in any gear, yes, you'll hear it.

The only cause of concern is where the stock down-pipe (DP) and the new resonator pipe meet. The stock DP has a sort of inner, recessed collar that inserts into the stock resonator pipe. That collar doesn't fit into the new DP, so the new gasket will not work effectively; I left it off. My buddy and I just tightened the bolts connecting the stock DP and the new resonator pipe to reduce the chances of an exhaust leak. Maybe there's an adapter that fixes this? Hopefully it'll be moot once Cobb releases Stage 2 for the 2012 LGT and I install the new catted DP.

Note: The spring-bolts that were removed are not reused as a new flex-joint is designed into the new resonator pipe.

The rest of the installation went relatively smooth and the pipes aligned almost perfectly with the exhaust cut-outs on the rear bumper. The right-side muffler does sag about 4-5mm lower than the left one.

Prior to breaking in the exhaust, the left muffler was exhibiting a loud sputter at a higher frequency that the right one. I figured it was a noise that would disappear once the exhaust broke it, and it did after driving about 10 miles.

:cool: I'll be sure to post a follow-up video demonstrating the new exhaust tone.

aerophool 09-10-2012 10:04 AM

I had the Invidia Turbo back exhaust installed a couple weeks ago for $75.00, worth it to have a shop who routinely installs exhausts. Figured they could hang it better than I can. Anyway, they mentioned that it was one of the best bolt-up kits they had ever installed.

Aside: it is a very loud though around 2k as noted by other people who have it installed.

eckseleven 09-10-2012 10:09 AM

FYI, it's unlikely Cobb will ever release stage 2 maps for the '12 GT unless it is for their own down pipe (which they may never make either). After the '10s and '11s, I think they have too many concerns with making a stage 2 map that matches well with the various down pipes made by other companies.

Rutchard 09-10-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerophool (Post 4063981)
I had the Invidia Turbo back exhaust installed a couple weeks ago for $75.00, worth it to have a shop who routinely installs exhausts. Figured they could hang it better than I can. Anyway, they mentioned that it was one of the best bolt-up kits they had ever installed.

Aside: it is a very loud though around 2k as noted by other people who have it installed.

$75 to install the whole turboback??? Deal of the century right there! Even on a lift, the DP is a pain in the ass

nuclrxn 09-10-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckseleven (Post 4063985)
FYI, it's unlikely Cobb will ever release stage 2 maps for the '12 GT unless it is for their own down pipe (which they may never make either). After the '10s and '11s, I think they have too many concerns with making a stage 2 map that matches well with the various down pipes made by other companies.

Yeah, that was a concern of mine, but I did talk to a Cobb tech who said that it's in the works. If they take too much longer, though, I may just take it to Agile Performance to get a custom tune; my buddy's brother owns the place.

Blizzard 09-10-2012 11:50 AM

Pro tip: If you plan on getting an Invidia DP to match, do it before anything starts rusting. Also Cobb's stage II maps may never come out but you can always get pro-tuned I believe which is a better option anyway.

nuclrxn 09-10-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4064127)
Pro tip: If you plan on getting an Invidia DP to match, do it before anything starts rusting. Also Cobb's stage II maps may never come out but you can always get pro-tuned I believe which is a better option anyway.

Yeah, calling around the DMV: Agile, Mach V, PTuning to see what the best price is. So far, Mach V quoted me $500 (50% down) and it would have to be with them the whole day.

acumenhokie 09-10-2012 02:01 PM

If you're going to pro-tune go ahead and add the RacerX TMIC while you're at it. :)

ziptiecloud 09-10-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclrxn (Post 4064227)
Yeah, calling around the DMV: Agile, Mach V, PTuning to see what the best price is. So far, Mach V quoted me $500 (50% down) and it would have to be with them the whole day.

Have you purchased the AP yet? You may be able to save a ton of money on the custom tune if you buy it from the same shop

pfoyle 09-10-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerophool (Post 4063981)

Solution: Get a protune, great gains, no problems keeping it above 2k RPMs! ;) :lol:

Syndicate 09-10-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclrxn (Post 4064227)

...I've only had Mach V do maintenance work, but it seems like a cool shop thus far. I'd also suggest checking w/IAG as well. Oh yeah, nice to see another BM9 GT in DMV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4064127)

...a sort of silly question I've been wondering about. Are pro-tuned maps based off of the Cobb maps? So would a Cobb stage 2 map be required for a proper downpipe compatible tune?

...oh yeah, it seems like Cobb is telling everyone different things regarding the '12 stage 2 maps, when I inquired about them they said they got a car in to do development on.

eckseleven 09-10-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndicate (Post 4064826)
...a sort of silly question I've been wondering about. Are pro-tuned maps based off of the Cobb maps? So would a Cobb stage 2 map be required for a proper downpipe compatible tune?

Pro-tuned maps are custom made and independent of Cobb's maps.

islandborn 09-10-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4064373)
If you're going to pro-tune go ahead and add the RacerX TMIC while you're at it. :)

Boom. Ditto. Thats what I'm running.... custom tune on the AP with the TMIC by RacerX tied to the Invidia. Now you got..... racecar. ;)

DOHCstunr 09-10-2012 09:04 PM

Nice input. Pics would have made this thread significantly more relevant.

blklgt05 09-11-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOHCstunr (Post 4065035)
Nice input. Pics would have made this thread significantly more relevant.

Do you even drive a 5gen GT? If not then this thread is definitely not relevant to you because we have completely different setups. There are only two 3" TBE options for us and we've all seen enough pictures of them. :)