Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Vehicle stalls out after hard stop (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192557)

CarlyCurran88 09-06-2012 10:02 AM

Vehicle stalls out after hard stop

Hi,

I have a 2010 Legacy 2.5i with CVT. CVT also has manual mode. It has about 72,000 miles on it. When coming to a hard stop, the vehicle will stall and I will have to put it in Park and restart it. Sometimes it even does this with a regular stop. I cleaned out the MAF, throttle body, put in a new air filter, disconnected the battery for an idle relearn, and nothing is getting rid of the issue. No codes, no pending codes, nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

eckseleven 09-06-2012 10:30 AM

Have you changed the spark plugs yet? It looks the like service schedule says they should be changed every 60k or 5 years.

GTEASER 09-06-2012 10:33 AM

What about changing the CVT fluid. I think it is supposed to get changed at 75k.

CarlyCurran88 09-06-2012 10:37 AM

No not yet. It was an AstraZeneca fleet vehicle before I bought it. Not sure if they did that but usually they do all scheduled maintenance. My mechanic noticed that it is quiet for a Subaru. I just had an 09 Forester that was really loud and I had to adjust a loose valve. He said it's possible that the valves are tight on this vehicle. Could this be a possible contributor? I'm just hoping and praying that it's not the CVT!

eckseleven 09-06-2012 10:40 AM

Here is the schedule for reference.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html

Under normal driving conditions, no change interval is stated for the CVT fluid so must be they expect it to last the lifetime of the vehicle. I would still change it at 100-150k or so just for the hell of it.

Jace2010LGT 09-06-2012 10:46 AM

Normally that is an IAC ( idle air control valve) issue. Not sure if your leggy has one but generally a bad iac will do that.

CarlyCurran88 09-06-2012 10:58 AM

Electronic TB. No IAC :( Think I'm going to see about adjusting valves.

awalegacy 09-06-2012 01:10 PM

Could be a vacuum leak, but not too likely.

Possibly something transmission / drivetrain related.

PoManzAWD 09-06-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlyCurran88 (Post 4058691)
Electronic TB. No IAC :( Think I'm going to see about adjusting valves.

Correct. Anything with modern-day electronic throttle control doesn't have an idle-air control valve. Issues like a weak battery can cause idle issues on an electronic throttle controlled vehicle.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with valve lash. I've never heard of an EJ series needing this so soon. AFAIK, the newer SOHC EJ 2.5's like this use shim/bucket valve lash adjustment. You should get 200K miles out of this. REAL expensive to get it "adjusted". It shouldn't ever be needed, nor is it intended to be adjusted.

Do you get any dash lights when it poops out on you? Are you using a stock type air cleaner element?

I doubt this has anything to do with the CVT if the vehicle runs/performs fine other than the occasional stalling.

Joel

thefultonhow 09-06-2012 07:42 PM

There were many reports of MY2010 2.5i 6MT vehicles stalling out with the AC running on hot days when you put the clutch in. My dad's Outback had the problem. They eventually released an ECU update for the 6MTs that corrected the problem (I believe they changed the DBW throttle mapping, but I could be wrong). There were fewer reports of a similar thing happening on CVTs, but because not as many people complained, SOA didn't do anything about the issue for them. At least, that was true in 2010, when I last looked at the problem. It may have changed. The stalling on the CVT is possibly recall-worthy due to the fact that you have to put it in Park to restart (what if you are in the middle of an intersection?), so I would push with SOA even though you are out of warranty.

CarlyCurran88 09-07-2012 10:09 AM

I will check the battery and see. It will stall with AC on or off. It idles at 800 rpm's. The 2009 Forester I just sold had 86,000 miles and I had to adjust the valves, I think it only took my mechanic about 2.5 hours to do both sides.

CarlyCurran88 09-07-2012 10:13 AM

I think all the lights come on. Battery, brake, traction control, all that. And yes stock air filter/intake. Everything is stock.

thefultonhow 09-07-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlyCurran88 (Post 4060327)
I will check the battery and see. It will stall with AC on or off. It idles at 800 rpm's. The 2009 Forester I just sold had 86,000 miles and I had to adjust the valves, I think it only took my mechanic about 2.5 hours to do both sides.

Woah, woah, woah.

1. Why would you need to adjust the valves on a Subaru with only 86,000 miles? I've never heard of any other Subaru needing that, and my family has had several Subarus that got to that mileage or above.

2. How would it take only 2.5 hours? In order to adjust the valves, you need to re-shim them, which involves taking off the valve covers and cams, which is very hard to do without pulling the engine, which takes way more than 2.5 hours.

I think your mechanic took you for a ride.

CarlyCurran88 09-07-2012 10:37 AM

Idk, that's how I bought it. Super loud ticking. It was a General Electric fleet car. One of the valves was loose. He lifted it and did it all from underneath. I saw.

awalegacy 09-07-2012 12:08 PM

Do the Subaru CVTs use a torque converter? Some CVTs do, some don't.
If so, it can fail to unlock - but again, not likely.