Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Harmonic Balancer Wearing into Timing Belt Cover? WTF?! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192467)

Mill 09-04-2012 03:42 PM

Harmonic Balancer Wearing into Timing Belt Cover? WTF?!

2 Attachment(s)
I had my timing belt replaced in December of 2011 by a mechanic. Ever since, I have heard sloshing noises from the coolant, my car randomly overheats, and now this happens....

The harmonic balancer is wearing into the timing belt cover, which threw the belts of out line and caused the Compressor belt to come off and rub a groove into the cover as well. I bought a new belt thinking I could put it on, and before I even started I noticed this.

Edit: Appears to have been simply due to age and use as the rubber deteriorated in the pulley. Replaced with Lightened Crank Pulley and haven't looked back.

Max Capacity 09-04-2012 04:48 PM

The crank pulley may be bad and needs to be replaced. The rubber in it may be shot.

You need to jack up the right front corner of the car and remove the cap from the turbo coolant tank, squeeze the hoses and burp the coolant system.

It's common knowledge for anyone who works in these and some other cars. You need to burp the coolant system and top it off.

xt2005bonbon 09-04-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4056098)
The crank pulley may be bad and needs to be replaced. The rubber in it may be shot.

Those pulleys are known to fail over time and do what you describe unless it was not tightened to the right torque. When you take it off, make sure you check your woodruff key. Time for an LCP.

Mill 09-04-2012 06:06 PM

Will bad rubber cause a wobble in the crank pulley? I'm not about to accuse a shop of a wrong install if it turns out to be a part that has gone bad by itself, unless it was their cause.

I'm thinking of ordering a new LCP, radiator, and hoses and doing it all at once since it appears that the radiator will need to be removed to access the nut on the CP.

I would expect a certified shop to burp the coolant if draining is required for the timing belt install, but I guess I'm alone on that one.

Max, by right front you mean front passenger? Last I check the turbo res is on the passenger side so that would make the most sense to me.

Anything else worth replacing while I've got it torn down? Car has 130k on it now, so I assume there might be more that I will run into.

edit: looks like it happens: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...html?perpage=8

Mill 09-05-2012 12:15 AM

Welp. Just ordered an Agency Power LCP. We will see how this goes.

ericem 09-05-2012 12:31 AM

you dont need to remove the rad to do the crank pulley.

xt2005bonbon 09-05-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericem (Post 4056684)
you dont need to remove the rad to do the crank pulley.

+1. Did it 4 times without removing neither the rad nor the upper hose. Removed the fans though.

Mill 09-05-2012 01:07 PM

I plan on doing that radiator regardless. I think the tabs on it are pulling apart and it leaks when the engine is cold. That and it gives me an excuse to get an all aluminum mishimoto, and flush the system and put Subaru Blue in. Just need to decide on a standalone tranny cooler since there are no actual non-plastic options for 5eat's with a built in tranny cooler.

BAC5.2 09-05-2012 01:23 PM

Just for reference, Subaru's do not have a harmonic balancer.

Mill 09-05-2012 03:41 PM

Yes, I did find that out with some googling. Thanks for pointing that out. I hate to be the one to spread misinformation.

I assumed it to be one since it did not know better.

ControlFreak 09-05-2012 09:53 PM

This exact same thing happened on my 2000 Outback. I found out when my AC stopped working accompanied by a flapping noise while almost home following a 8hr (each way) road trip. The flapping was my AC compressor belt, which had come off the compressor pulley.

I was lucky, the crank pulley didn't make it to the timing belt before I caught it.

I did a writeup on SubaruOutback.org:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...elt-cover.html

Jim

Mill 09-05-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ControlFreak (Post 4058069)
This exact same thing happened on my 2000 Outback. I found out when my AC stopped working accompanied by a flapping noise while almost home following a 8hr (each way) road trip. The flapping was my AC compressor belt, which had come off the compressor pulley.

I was lucky, the crank pulley didn't make it to the timing belt before I caught it.

I did a writeup on SubaruOutback.org:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...elt-cover.html

Jim

Thanks for the link, Jim. I actually ran across your thread yesterday (linked in archive version in one of my other posts).

I'm glad its not too bad of a fix, and one I can do myself. The upgraded Lightened Agency Power pulley should be slightly beneficial too with my 5eat.

ControlFreak 09-06-2012 08:46 AM

Ahhh, I'm busted. Nothing left to do but admit guilt: I totally didn't read the entire thread before replying. Sorry about that.

The best part about my Outback was that I had zero aspirations of increased performance. It was paid off at 75k miles, and I drove it to 185k before picking up my LGT, so it was all about keeping it running. I bought a used pulley for $30 or so from a forum member and kept on truckin'!

Good luck with the fix. It's not a bad job on these cars. The worst part is getting the crank bolt loose, but even that's generally overrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mill (Post 4058079)
Thanks for the link, Jim. I actually ran across your thread yesterday (linked in archive version in one of my other posts).

I'm glad its not too bad of a fix, and one I can do myself. The upgraded Lightened Agency Power pulley should be slightly beneficial too with my 5eat.

Max Capacity 09-06-2012 11:45 AM

To break the crank bolt loose, read the timing belt threads. I showed how I used a 1/2" breaker bar braced on the ground and then bumped the starter over. I put a piece of plywood behind the radiator for safety.

I read that idea on here. It wasn't mine.

Mill 09-06-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ControlFreak (Post 4058453)
Ahhh, I'm busted. Nothing left to do but admit guilt: I totally didn't read the entire thread before replying. Sorry about that.

The best part about my Outback was that I had zero aspirations of increased performance. It was paid off at 75k miles, and I drove it to 185k before picking up my LGT, so it was all about keeping it running. I bought a used pulley for $30 or so from a forum member and kept on truckin'!

Good luck with the fix. It's not a bad job on these cars. The worst part is getting the crank bolt loose, but even that's generally overrated.

Its no problem. I'm glad you chimed in! And thanks.

Max, thanks for the tip.