Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Best Car Phone Charger Mount?? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191282)

wrxwhit 08-14-2012 03:02 PM

Best Car Phone Charger Mount??

As the title states, I am looking for a good charger mount for my iphone 4s. I want to be able to charge the phone, play music via USB and use GPS. So far this is what I have found. This seems to be the cleanest option coming out to the left of the shifter. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Blizzard 08-14-2012 04:16 PM

Just thinking about where the outlet is and where the shifter is I am not sure this is going to work well.

Ram mounts makes really good stuff. I have one of their iphone 4/s mounts and it's extremely solid but it's only good for playing music and using the GPS, I don't think any of them have a built in charger.

wrxwhit 08-14-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Post 4026139)
Just thinking about where the outlet is and where the shifter is I am not sure this is going to work well.

Ram mounts makes really good stuff. I have one of their iphone 4/s mounts and it's extremely solid but it's only good for playing music and using the GPS, I don't think any of them have a built in charger.

It would be a close fit but if angled right it may work. Maybe a custom jobby. I'll ck out the ram mounts, thx Blizz

eckseleven 08-14-2012 08:15 PM

I have a universal mount that I got at Best Buy for a decent price that gets the job done. It snaps in a vent but they do have a suction cup style as well. It doesn't have a charger, but where I have it positioned in the vent to the right of the steering wheel, my ordinary car charger reaches easily. Works perfect for music, navigation, and seeing who is calling. Doubles as an AccessPort holder, too.

BillMiya 08-14-2012 08:20 PM

How about the Proclip if u have cash to burn?

http://www.proclipusa.com/default.as...=&leftorright=

The right side mount does not work with manual as it prevents the 5th gear engagement. I suspect that the left side mount would work.

minuccims 08-14-2012 08:49 PM

I use the left mount ProClip for my GPS. It's perfect. Keeps the GPS off the dash.

Jsmith 08-15-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4026545)
I use the left mount ProClip for my GPS. It's perfect. Keeps the GPS off the dash.

Do you mind taking a picture? I was to see how close it is to 1st gear.

nstg8r 08-15-2012 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmith (Post 4026878)
Do you mind taking a picture? I was to see how close it is to 1st gear.

The left mount ProClip is the one mounted off the a-pillar, not the one near the shifter:

Attachment 125891

wrxwhit 08-15-2012 07:28 AM

The left mount clip looks good for positioning but not so good for charging or hooking up USB for music which would require running of wires.

nstg8r 08-15-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4026974)
The left mount clip looks good for positioning but not so good for charging or hooking up USB for music which would require running of wires.

It also blocks the left tweeter

Jsmith 08-15-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 4026924)
The left mount ProClip is the one mounted off the a-pillar, not the one near the shifter:

Attachment 125891

Ahhh, I thought he meant the left console mount, it was too early in the morning haha

mosthated 08-15-2012 03:19 PM

more pics please!!

underground000 08-15-2012 04:04 PM

mountek

pretty cool, been looking for a decent mount for my 4th gen and tried a few universal ones but theres no proper place to mount it except the windshield which i do not/cannot.

havent tried this yet on my car since i am away from it but used it in my friends car and i like it. blocks a bit of the radio but you're not going to need the radio since you have steering wheel controls...

for the iphone, it has foam sides to hold it in place, have to go one 'click' in so theres pressure on the phone to prevent it from moving. phone will not move and phone is solid so it does not feel like you will break the phone.

the 'mount' part is metal with a non marring?? coating so it would/should not scratch the cd housing. the phone holder part itself is plastic...we'll see how long it'll last with constant opening and closing + pressure holding the phone

overall i like it, can get it off eBay for ~$20shipped, mount part feels solid, holder part is plastic, for the 4th gens it places it in a good location. actually its right where i want it

Jsmith 08-15-2012 04:26 PM

That is interesting, not sold on it because I am afraid it would ruin my radio... let me know how it works out.

wrxwhit 08-15-2012 06:38 PM

Yes interesting indeed, but still not efficient for charging and USB as wires would not look clean. Great for gps though, but that's it. And the hunt continues....