Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Dohc ej22e (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190650)

DOHCEJ22E1 08-03-2012 01:21 AM

Dohc ej22e
 
It's been a long while since I've been here & those who know of me know that some time late last year, my 25D blew up. (Rod #3 punched a hole through the block).
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...J22E/22GT1.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ustedEJ25D.jpg

I recently obtained a 22E & decided to make another DOHC version since the block I got had wiring that was not compatible to my car. This is my second time making one of these & so far, it turned out good. I still have yet to start it due to waiting on tomorrow for my paycheck, then I'll be able to buy the fluids needed to start it up. For now, I'm gonna' feed your eyes with some pictures. (People, whenever you work on engines, keep your bolts/nuts/screws together in bags (label the bags) so that they don't get lost & keep in mind that it is imperative that they go back EXACTLY WHERE THEY CAME FROM.)

When I first got it, it looked like this...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...J22ENormal.jpg

After a few minutes of examining it closely, I began to take it apart.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...TimingBelt.jpg

This engine was said to be a 1995. This pic confirms it.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...lPortEJ22E.jpg

After more time, I removed the intake & all of the smaller things bolted or screwed to the engine & began to remove the cylinder heads. (Follow the service manual removal procedures for the intake & cylinder heads.)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...linderHead.jpg

These must be the old style head gaskets...
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...HeadGasket.jpg

I like the way that my new ones look a lot better.
Victor Reinz 98mm triple layered steel with a really thick & solid 2nd layer.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...HeadGasket.jpg

For those of you wondering if the 22E/25D intakes can be swapped, no, they cannot. They have completely different bolt patterns. If you use the 25D heads, you must use the 25D intake & wiring harness. (25D bolt pattern below).
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...DBoltHoles.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ingHarness.jpg

The older style & newer style timing belt tensioners & their back plates are completely different. If you use the new style, you must use the plate that it bolts into. (Replace the tensioner if it is used).
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ionerPlate.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...1020-00096.jpg

There were changes to the EJ22E during it's run from the cylinder heads to the piston crowns. The top is the 1995 piston crown & the bottom is the 1998 piston crown.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...istonCrown.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...istonCrown.jpg

I believe that it doesn't hurt to have an 11mm oil pump for this kind of frankenstein since it will be run hard a few times once I break it in. Btw, the crank gear slides right out with no difficulty. If you do experience a little resistance, it's most likely corrosion & you'll have to put some penetration oil on it. Be patient if you have to do that. Btw, 22E & 25D crank & cam sensors are the same.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pInstalled.jpg

On our autos, there are 4 12mm bolts holding the flexplate on the torque converter. DO NOT REMOVE THE TORQUE CONVERTER. Turn the crank to access the 4 bolts & remove them (turn them counter clockwise).
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w.../EngineBay.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...erterBolts.jpg

Btw, DO NOT FORGET to replace the seals when you have everything apart. This goes for the rear main seal & resealing the oil separator behind the flywheel/flexplate. If you have an older EJ, it most likely has the plastic cover. Replace it with the upgraded metal cover.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...Comparison.jpg

I have an intake manifold spacer on my frankenstein. To install one in general, you have to cut the EGR valve pipe behind the left head & extend it a little more than the length of the spacer.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...foldSpacer.jpg

This next pic is a demonstration of how 22E MLS gaskets look on the 25D heads.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ton25Dhead.jpg

DOHCEJ22E1 08-03-2012 01:26 AM

If you put together a DOHC EJ22E, assemble it as you would a 25D & use the 25D head bolts (22E bolts are too long), oil dipstick (25D dipstick has a higher mounting point), & black coolant pipe (22E pipe will NOT fit around the left DOHC head.)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...olantPipe1.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pstickTube.jpg

Follow the factory service manual for the 25D to reassemble everything & make sure bolts & screws go back in their exact same spot. The end result will look just like a 25D.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...mbledReady.jpg

If there are any questions, I'll answer them to the best I can. Btw, the final compression ratio I calculated with this particular engine was 9.4:1. I made sure to get as close to stock compression as possible so that I don't feel like the car is sluggish during movement. However, normal compression w/EJ22D hybrid can be anywhere from 8.6:1 to 8.8:1, which is decent for boost.

99legacyturbo 08-03-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOHCEJ22E1 (Post 4010766)
If you put together a DOHC EJ22E, assemble it as you would a 25D & use the 25D head bolts (22E bolts are too long), oil dipstick (25D dipstick has a higher mounting point), & black coolant pipe (22E pipe will NOT fit around the left DOHC head.)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...olantPipe1.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pstickTube.jpg

Follow the factory service manual for the 25D to reassemble everything & make sure bolts & screws go back in their exact same spot. The end result will look just like a 25D.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...mbledReady.jpg

If there are any questions, I'll answer them to the best I can. Btw, the final compression ratio I calculated with this particular engine was 8.8:1, which should be somewhat decent until I add a turbocharging kit. To anyone wondering if our pistons come up over the deck, yes, they do.

If you run into any questions and doing your turbo setup I could probably help I did a similar build with a closed deck ej22 except with jdm ej20 dohc heads and turboed it in my legacy

twisty 08-03-2012 08:58 AM

whats the benefit of using the dohc heads from a 2.5 on the 2.2?

DOHCEJ22E1 08-03-2012 09:32 AM

From what I remember from my first one, decent midrange power & mpg but that was at 10:1 CR & w/manual transmission using a phase 2 block. This one is unfortunately bolted to an auto at the moment & it has a decreased compression ratio from the first one because I used a 1995 phase 1 block to replace my 25D & I intend to turbo it in the near future.

99legacyturbo 08-03-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisty (Post 4011022)
whats the benefit of using the dohc heads from a 2.5 on the 2.2?

The 2.2 sohc heads flow terribly subarus worst flowing heads... The dohc heads flow sooo sooo much better alowing for more power, better fuel economy and a cooler engine cause the exhaust flows way better having 2 ports unlike the sohc heads that both cylinders share one port. So like dohcej22e1 said better power and mpgs witch Both are nice plus's

Kennyfvholla 08-03-2012 12:24 PM

FINALLY!

Finally someone decided to use my idea of 25D heads on a 2.2 block, even though it's not exactly the 22T block andf 1996 25D heads with a turbo setup...

How does it run NA? I can't wait to see how it turns out as a turbo setup!

monkeyposeur 08-03-2012 01:41 PM

Kenny, why the 96 25D heads? I am still thinking about how I am going to build up my 22T. Have you ever come across any for sale. How would you manage it? Not trying to threadjack...

Nice writeup!

Kennyfvholla 08-03-2012 03:30 PM

The 96 EJ25D heads are HLA, have the same combustion chamber design as the turbo heads heads do, and have slightly larger intake ports than the 97 to 99 EJ25. I actually have a set of 96 EJ25 heads sitting in my garage waiting for me to use for this project one day. I barely ever see them for sale. There are not too many out there in general.

monkeyposeur 08-03-2012 07:17 PM

So would you have to go with a standalone or could you use a 22T or 20G ecu? How do you think the heads compare to the 20G heads? If I could find a set of 20G heads I would use them with a robtuned 20G ecu. But a 20G (robtuned or not) ecu works great with the 22T heads as well.

And you know you will never use those heads, so just sell them to me! I'll trade you for a set of 22T heads! :p Where did you find them anyway?

DOHCEJ22E1 08-04-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99legacyturbo (Post 4011401)
The 2.2 sohc heads flow terribly subarus worst flowing heads... The dohc heads flow sooo sooo much better alowing for more power, better fuel economy and a cooler engine cause the exhaust flows way better having 2 ports unlike the sohc heads that both cylinders share one port. So like dohcej22e1 said better power and mpgs witch Both are nice plus's

You are correct. These heads take in more air than the 22E heads in stock form but if the 22E heads were ground down & worked over, I think they would flow more air just about as well. However, the 22E heads that I'm about to get rid of are dual port (their last year as a dual port was 1995 before switching over to single port).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kennyfvholla (Post 4011428)
FINALLY!

Finally someone decided to use my idea of 25D heads on a 2.2 block, even though it's not exactly the 22T block

How does it run NA? I can't wait to see how it turns out as a turbo setup!

I've done this once before but on a manual car & it ran pretty good N/A. Definitely felt more willing to rev than a normal 22E for sure. I lost a little on the low end from what I remember. I never documented anything from that car though since I wasn't really interested in that at the time. This engine will be more closely studied & documented while I run it in N/A form. I've seen that the 96 25D heads have larger intake ports but they also have the head chambers cut more closer to the EJ25 bore than the 97-99 heads. I don't think I'd trust those heads to be sealed on an EJ22 gasket safely. The 97-99 heads are more like the WRX heads than they are like the 96 heads. Either way, putting 25D heads on a 22T block would yield a compression under 8:1 & would most certainly have to be turbocharged as N/A power would be too low.

dylandevine123 08-04-2012 11:52 AM

Would the C/R be increased if one were to replace the heads of an ej25d to heads from a 2.2?? If so what 2.2 would be the best choice? I heard this being done before and I thought this thread would be an appropriate place to ask...

DOHCEJ22E1 08-04-2012 01:04 PM

Putting 22E heads on a 25D will increase the compression ratio but it would be best to get those heads to flow in/out more air before putting them on. Any 2.2 pair of heads would be sufficient but their chambers changed a little as the years went on. And gasket thickness also determines the final C/R.

Kennyfvholla 08-04-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 4011944)
So would you have to go with a standalone or could you use a 22T or 20G ecu? How do you think the heads compare to the 20G heads? If I could find a set of 20G heads I would use them with a robtuned 20G ecu. But a 20G (robtuned or not) ecu works great with the 22T heads as well.

And you know you will never use those heads, so just sell them to me! I'll trade you for a set of 22T heads! :p Where did you find them anyway?

I have to go through my books to tell you exactly what the differences are. Idk them off the top of my head..

And nahhhhh, I think I'll keep them. And they are off the motor from my 96 GT that spun a main bearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOHCEJ22E1 (Post 4012685)
I've done this once before but on a manual car & it ran pretty good N/A. Definitely felt more willing to rev than a normal 22E for sure. I lost a little on the low end from what I remember. I never documented anything from that car though since I wasn't really interested in that at the time. This engine will be more closely studied & documented while I run it in N/A form. I've seen that the 96 25D heads have larger intake ports but they also have the head chambers cut more closer to the EJ25 bore than the 97-99 heads. I don't think I'd trust those heads to be sealed on an EJ22 gasket safely. The 97-99 heads are more like the WRX heads than they are like the 96 heads. Either way, putting 25D heads on a 22T block would yield a compression under 8:1 & would most certainly have to be turbocharged as N/A power would be too low.

I expected a low end loss of power as the cylinder volume is smaller, as well as the lower compression ratio.

The only actual difference between the 96 and 97 to 99 heads are the chamber designs, as far as I can see. I believe the FSM states that they have the same maximum diameter. But don't quote me on that. I just konw that the 96 heads have a VERY similar combustion chamber design as all of the heads that come off of turbo motors. They'd have a lower compression ratio than the 97 to 99 heads, but I prefer that chamber design for the heads on a turbo motor.

DOHCEJ22E1 08-05-2012 07:56 PM

I've solved my issues with it not starting (rusted grounds, rebuilding the starter) & it fired right up on the first key turn. I took it for a spin & it feels very energetic. Definitely more potent than a SOHC 22E mid range for sure. Low end is lacking a little but when you get to cruising speed, you won't even care about that. Decent pull starts at about 2800rpm up. Timing is 15 degrees advanced @ idle & the coolant temps range from 185 to 205 degrees F. Idle is 712 RPM. I will keep documenting as the days go on but so far, so good. I'll post a video of it running tomorrow.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.


LegacyGT.com