Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Canadian "Aero" Cross bars for wagons. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190216)

K2e2vin 07-27-2012 11:51 AM

Canadian "Aero" Cross bars for wagons.

Does anyone know where/how to get these in the States(maybe order from .ca online dealer)?

Also, I know not much accessories fit aero bars but does something like the Thule QuickGrip work on it(specifically Thule Atlantis-series boxes) or other similar systems?

Max Capacity 07-27-2012 12:04 PM

Or EMS, or ski shop, bike shop, etc.

You could also go on Thule's site.

I did that when I bought my 05 in late Jun of 04 and needed mounts for my Thule ski box and cross bars for the coming winter.

K2e2vin 07-28-2012 02:37 PM

REI has the oem cross bars? I saw a picture of them and like the way they contour with the roof.

Alfred_Buchi 08-01-2012 01:10 PM

Nothing I can find has the clean look of the Mont Blanc OEM bars.

I'm 99% sure forester cross bars will fit with a little cutting/shortening of the bars. I messed with a pair a little and they seem like they will work nicely. But they sit higher than the canadian ones.

According to Yakima their whisper bars (flush and through, not cross) will PROBABLY fit with a KS325 or KS328 fit kit. I looked at a 328 and I don't know if it will work, I think that was a guess from Yakima customer support more than anything. I haven't found a KS325 fit kit in person to really see if it will work. Our rails are a bitch unless you want standard round or square racks.

Does anyone know if the fit kit will make the rails sit even higher? Or does the fit kit replace the existing bottom of the rail connector and not add height?

I'll keep you in the loop on what I can find. I need cross bars bad. My bikes are making my interior really dirty and I'm tired of having to worry about my leather.

K2e2vin 08-01-2012 01:41 PM

A lot of the aftermarket kits seem like they sit up higher than OE units since most use some universal components. I'd like to keep mine low as possible to help with aerodynamics; it's just for winter where I want to use a cargo box or attachment for snowboards.

The Forester rails look like they sit higher than the Legacy; but would the ends("towers") interchange between those and the "flush" Legacy rails?

I ride a small-frame mountain bike(Giant Yukon FX) and it's a pain hauling it in the back; I'm worried about the bike scratching the plastics in the back, etc. Have you thought about installing a hitch? That's the route I plan on going next year(currently I use my Honda Accord with a trunk rack to haul around my bike).

Alfred_Buchi 08-01-2012 03:00 PM

I don't mind throwing 1 bike in back. It's carrying 2-3 that makes me stress about everything. My tint, leather, carpeting, etc.

I'm pretty sure the towers are what controls the height of the rack and not the crossbar piece itself. I am confident that you couldn't get the forester towers to fit a different bar, and if you could it wouldn't actually make it any lower.

A trailer hitch rack is my plan B. I really really prefer the roof racks though and would rather end up with a non aero roof than a hitch mount rear. I would like to be able to carry surfboards and snowboards on the roof too when I have passengers in the back.

Funny man we're totally in the same shoes.

atchipmunk 08-04-2012 02:54 PM

Been wanting a set of the Canadian Spec crossbars for the wagon as well. Looks so much better (lower profile) than the lame US-spec ones. I actually have a cousin in Toronto ( he's an LGT wagon owner as well) that has looked into them at the dealer there. Was thinking about having him order me a set and having him ship them to me> Not sure how bad shipping from Toronto to SoCal would be...

As for fitment of accessories...I imagine they'd be similar to fitment on the Thule aero bars, but have no confirmation on that. All I really need to be able to install on them are my Thule SideArm bike racks for hauling my mountain bikes. Pretty sure they'll work with those or I can figure a way to mount them...

Alfred_Buchi 08-04-2012 03:10 PM

Hit me up if you wanna split shipping costs on 2 sets. Might make it a little easier.

Did your cousin ever get you a quote on the actual bars? I'm probably down. Geting sick of not having racks and I don't want to give in and get square bars.

K2e2vin 08-05-2012 02:09 AM

Damn! After throwing my bike in there I could understand how 2-3 bikes will cause concern.

Yeah, one thing I like about the OE "towers" for the aero bars is they seem pretty flush with the original rails. The round and square bars sit above the rails.

If possible, I'd be down too for a set of the aero bars, though I'm across the country from you guys.

uzubair 08-13-2012 06:14 PM

Does anyone have the part number for the Canadian Aero cross bars for the BP5 wagon? I have a cousin that is willing to go to the dealer and pick me up a set and send. If someone else is doing that, let me know and I will be in on splitting the cost of shipping as well.

Firepuma 08-13-2012 07:14 PM

So I'm heading to Toronto in October. Looks like I have to come back with these-

Alfred_Buchi 08-13-2012 08:53 PM

Group buy?

K2e2vin 08-14-2012 04:26 AM

I'd be down!

K2e2vin 08-14-2012 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzubair (Post 4024676)
Does anyone have the part number for the Canadian Aero cross bars for the BP5 wagon? I have a cousin that is willing to go to the dealer and pick me up a set and send. If someone else is doing that, let me know and I will be in on splitting the cost of shipping as well.

Only PN I've found is SCI306631

LMK what you guys! I'm pretty dead set on one of these bars.

ElanS2 08-15-2012 06:42 AM

I am a Canadian with a 2007 2.5 GT Wagon. All that to say the cross bars you guys are looking for are on my wagon at this moment and I just did some shopping for a ski box.
The Thule quick grip clamps work fine. The problem is the length of the box. A Thule 602 Ascent 1100 is too long, at 88.5", and will not allow the rear door to open beyond +/- the horizontal. I am looking for a ski style box with a small cross section to limit wind resistance. If you are OK with a fat box you will be good with a shorter box. I'll see if I can get you the part number latter today.
Glad to see that that we have something that you don't have. Usually it is the other way around, although you may keep your tea party and George Bush Jr.
Cheers
Rod