Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   2000 LGT Fixed headgasket and STILL OVERHEATING!?!? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189896)

Flyboy888 07-22-2012 05:11 PM

2000 LGT Fixed headgasket and STILL OVERHEATING!?!?

hey guys, okay, i just had a full felpro gasket set (HS26170PT-1) put on my car by a trusted local mechanic and he took it for a test drive and it still overheated on him. Timing belt was put on too, waterpump is good, radiator is sealed and fins are decent. He did a leak down test and found absolutely no combustion gas in the coolant. Thermostat slowly opened in a pot of boiling water. What could be going on?

octain11 07-22-2012 05:16 PM

are the fans kicking in once the thermostat open?

Flyboy888 07-22-2012 05:41 PM

A/c one doesn't but that shouldn't matter while the cars moving

octain11 07-22-2012 06:15 PM

move around the relays, happens to me once, i played around with the relays and it worked

Flyboy888 07-22-2012 07:29 PM

i seriously doubt thats my prob tho

sbw 07-22-2012 07:52 PM

stupid question but is it definitely burped. These cars are notorious for having to have the coolant system filled at the top radiator hose to really get all the air out.

If its not that are you 100% certain the sensor is good?

Also, I'd fix your fan issue a.s.a.p. but i agree it shouldnt matter if the cars moving.

octain11 07-22-2012 09:52 PM

assuming there are no leaks, and all hoses and vacuums are tightly sealed, thermostat might be bad...

ahcLegacy 07-23-2012 11:22 AM

You change out the radiator cap?

I know it sound too simple but I just had a similar issue and completely overlooked changing mine. Swapped for a gates cap and it solved my overheating issue.

Flyboy888 07-23-2012 09:55 PM

Well he got the fan working, blown fuse (DUH!!! I shoulda known better) and so far she seems good, it was burped correctly, topped off with coolant and i think he actually pulled the thermostat out. ANd i did consider the cap but was unsure what suitable replacements would be, obviously OEM Subaru one is best but are there others?. I also havent poured in the "Subaru coolant conditioner" i picked up online. But after picking my car up from my mechanic and driving it for about 20 min in traffic at 108 degrees she stayed just where she should on the temp gauge. Before i had him change out all the gaskets i did break down and poured in some bottle headgasket fix out of desperation and he thinks it may still be in the system slowing the flow of things so i bought some prestone cooling system cleaner and am gonna run it through for a few days then refill her with antifreeze and add the subaru additive. That SHOULD take care of everything. Unless my radiator is bad. But i don't think thats the case after driving it again. I am really starting to think though that my second fan not working was a big part of the problem believe it or not, that thing moves a TON or air not to mention the legacy's front face dosent exactly help the air get through the radiator, only about half the radiator is in the path of direct airflow. Plus, the a/c condensser is HUGE!!! the whole time i looked at the condenser thinking it was the radiator for a while when i was inspecting the fins and stuff. ANYway lol long post, but the main thing is SHE LIVES and i know have a completely re-sealed motor, new plugs, timing belt, oil pressure sensor and knock sensor (old one was cracked) and soon i'll put on new rotors, cv axle, and struts lol talk about good overhaul :)

octain11 07-23-2012 10:00 PM

woot woot!! i was the closest one :lol:, good everything is back, the car will run with out the conditioner, its just recommend because its better for the entire system over time, since the material is very sensitive

Flyboy888 07-24-2012 09:48 PM

well today she got hot on me, like above the 3/4 mark, so im kinda back to square...2? lol i got have some cooling system cleaner to put in and try to clear out the gunk. if that don't work im probably looking at a new radiator :(

octain11 07-25-2012 05:49 AM

are the fans kicking in?

Caboobaroo 07-25-2012 04:38 PM

The coolant conditioner is a OEM stop leak, that's all it is. Too much in the system will potentially clog the radiator and heater core.

Also, keep an eye on those head gaskets. I've seen them fail in under 20k miles put in by other shops. Only ones I use at the shop I work for are the Six Star MLS head gaskets.

Stasis 07-25-2012 07:53 PM

OEM thermostat?

Flyboy888 07-25-2012 08:08 PM

no thermostat, and i used felpro gaskets, which ive heard are good for subbies. And both fans are working yes