Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Jerky 5-speed manual (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189786)

copyboy311 07-20-2012 10:49 PM

Jerky 5-speed manual

I posted this in the Transmissions forum, but wasn't getting any feedback. Hope somebody here knows what's going on:

My 03 Legacy is getting real jerky on acceleration and deceleration in a super-sensitive way that I can't smooth out. It's not so much a clutch-engagement issue (as far as I can tell) as it is a throttle issue. When I let off the gas in gear, the driveline is noticeable thumpy and jerky. When I accelerate in gear it jerks again. It's far more pronounced in lower gears, especially in stop and go traffic -- like if I'm driving in first or second gear and throttling on and off without using the clutch, it's real jerky. It's less jerky in higher gears. Also, it seems worse when the A/C is on. Would a gear-oil change help at all, or is this caused by some other issue? I've also suspected maybe the driveshaft/u-joints? I'm at 154K and the original clutch. It's just very sloppy overall, when it used to be much tighter. I've had the car since 19K miles.

Code 07-20-2012 10:52 PM

Check your motor and trans mounts

copyboy311 07-20-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code (Post 3990856)
Check your motor and trans mounts

Interesting. How do I do that and what do I look for?

octain11 07-21-2012 06:52 AM

it can be mounts, but if its that bad they ll have to be completely destroyed, engine mount will be on the subframe, its a rectangular rubber block, as for transmission i believe its located on the crossmember. before changing those, i would check the spark plugs, are the on factory ones? or have been replaced, this can also be your timing, make sure all your pulleys and belts are in good shape. Or it can simply be that you used crappy fuel, i would run seafoam through out the car to flush everything internally, it never hurts to replace transmission fluid, you can check the levels, the dip stick is on the left side of the transmission in the engine bay all next to the firewall, its really down there, so youll have to reach pretty good

Flyboy888 07-22-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octain11 (Post 3991029)
it never hurts to replace transmission fluid, you can check the levels, the dip stick is on the left side of the transmission in the engine bay all next to the firewall, its really down there, so youll have to reach pretty good

No tranny fluid/dipstick on the manual. Its uses the diff. fluid for the gearbox

octain11 07-22-2012 06:16 PM

thats probably in the newer legacies then.....

02LEGACY 07-23-2012 08:06 PM

i just replaced my center diff and gear oil, i have been having this problem for quite a while and was wondering the same thing. its not the transmission mount because i had to replace it because i snapped the two bolts. I bought a group N mount that is from Subaru. the previous owner did the timing belt and water pump, plus i adjusted my valves a couple weeks after i bought it, i have 104K on mine

copyboy311 07-24-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02LEGACY (Post 3994233)
i just replaced my center diff and gear oil, i have been having this problem for quite a while and was wondering the same thing.

Did that fix the problem?

02LEGACY 07-25-2012 08:07 AM

It did not:mad:

BoyceWare 07-25-2012 06:18 PM

Had the same issue on mine, check your rear diff mount. The only way to replace it is to remove the rear sub frame, have it pressed out and a new one pressed in. Or you can go the approach I did and fill the sucker with window weld (liquid polyurethane found at any auto parts store) then use a large washer to hold it in. I let mine dry for a full week and it's been perfect for over a year.

BoyceWare 07-25-2012 06:21 PM

Oh yeah, since my rear mount was so bad I had placed a jack under the diff to lift it about 2 inches to center it up prior to filling it with window weld.

Good luck and let me know if this helps.

jzizza 07-30-2012 09:33 PM

Same exact problem with mine. Thought it was just my crappy driving up until i saw this post... curious as to what kind of damage could result if left as is. Anything serious?
Hope someone finds a solid solution.

PDXspeed 08-02-2012 08:10 AM

^^^ I second this. Definitely looking for a solution but have no idea where to look first.

20LGTBH02 08-03-2012 08:40 AM

:lol: This is my first stick shift car that I've owned and I also thought it was my noob driving skills, but it's been intermittent. Like on warm, dry days I get smooth shifts, but on wet days not so much. Could there be water getting in somewhere? I wonder.

octain11 08-03-2012 09:23 AM

or you guys just suck at driving :hide: