Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   First visit for maintenance coming up (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189164)

JedK1 07-11-2012 12:47 PM

First visit for maintenance coming up

We finally hit the 3K mark so heading in next week for that initial maintenance.

I called my local dealer (not where I bought the car) and everything was fine until I told her there are some workmanship problems:
The passenger side mirror doesn't sit in the grove and the washer doesn't have enough power to get half way up the window.

Then they were like (with attitude)...
"You know you will probably get a better deal on the oil change if you go to the place where you bought the car"
So I was like: "is there some problem with bringing it to your shop"
And She said: "No it's fine".

I hope they don't give me a lot of BS when I bring the car in on Tuesday and I hope they don't try to sell me a whole bunch of maintenance that I don't need. I really hate that!

ziptiecloud 07-11-2012 02:15 PM

I recommend not getting the first maintenance, or any regular maintenance at the dealer. I was quoted roughly $360 at the dealer and $60 at a 5-star shop for the first oil change/checkup.

When it comes to warranty stuff- research reviews for the service department where you to plan to take it (any subaru dealer) to make sure they aren't A-holes.

acumenhokie 07-11-2012 02:24 PM

I only go to the dealer for warranty work and to buy parts.

CL21376 07-11-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 3976350)

This.

Even warranty work is questionable. If my lumbar support breaks again I'm DIY'ing it.

halwith 07-11-2012 03:57 PM

sounds like typical subaru customer service. enjoy.

hmmrdwn 07-11-2012 04:14 PM

Our local subaru dealer is great. Of course, our son plays baseball and basketball with one of the mechanics sons and we are friends with another mechanic. I feel your pain and been where you are though. One time I bought a car an hour and half away because the local dealer couldn't compete. I was real nice with the local salesmen/dealer, giving them the last shot at coming down $1000. They couldn't come down and understood why I drove a little to save a grand.

You could take pictures of the things they say are wrong and ask for removed/replaced parts.

ziptiecloud 07-11-2012 04:48 PM

ALWAYS ask for the parts back.

Magic Marker 07-11-2012 04:50 PM

I like my dealer. We've bought three cars from them. The service dept is always dependable. I get shuttled too and from work for small things like oil changes and always a loaner when I have had involved warranty work. I've never had an issue. I'm ok with their prices for small things, but kinda hard to swallow the big service intervals. When I'm out of warranty, that is if I keep the car that long, I'll be heading over to AZP for large maintenance services.

ziptiecloud 07-11-2012 04:50 PM

Sorry for yelling, I couldn't control myself.

I've heard multiple stories of service depts. not doing anything, but saying they did.. without proof you have no proof.

laz 07-11-2012 04:53 PM

Aren't your first few oil changes complimentary? I believe I get at least three if not 5. I went to my first one a month ago and it was a breeze.

X

seiyafan 07-11-2012 05:02 PM

There are two Subaru dealers near where I live, the first one told me they were going to charge $290 for 15k maintenance, so I went to the second one who only charged me $80.

miltoney 07-11-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 3976350)

Same here. I actually get the first year of maint. free so I brought it in for the first oil change, and they couldn't even get that right. I wanted synthetic and they put in conventional. They can keep the rest of the free year, I'll do it myself.

Jace2010LGT 07-11-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziptiecloud (Post 3976555)
ALWAYS ask for the parts back.

If its a warranty repair you won't get parts back. The dealer has to hold them in case Subaru wants to call them back. Approx 40% get sent back the rest are usually known issues and they never call for them. With maintenance items you can have those but who wants a used oil filter? Give the dealer a shot at treating you right. If that doesn't work try another one. There are good, honest, customer service oriented dealers out there. I know because I work for one. That being said there are bad ones too. Find a good one and just enjoy the car.

esteddom 07-11-2012 06:33 PM

My dealer has been pretty good for repair work. The only thing I notice is that they routinely put 25-30 miles on my car when I bring it in. The last time I brought it to replace the volume control on the steering wheel they drove it 27 miles! Just goes along with having an LGT I guess. :spin::lol:

seiyafan 07-11-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miltoney (Post 3976640)
I wanted synthetic and they put in conventional.

How did you find out?