Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2011 Legacy Paint Issues (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188973)

norge2000 07-08-2012 07:35 PM

2011 Legacy Paint Issues

I just moved from NY to NC 9 months ago. Since then I have begun to notice damage to the clear coat of the roof, hood and trunk of the car. I was the car at a minimum once a month, I try for twice a month. I am seeing the damage where bird droppings had hit the car. I never had this issue on any of my other cars up in NY, or on my wife's Toyota down here. I did some research and found Subaru uses a water based paint and does not uses as many coatings of paint and clear coat as the other automotive manufacturers. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

openwheelnut 07-08-2012 07:43 PM

This is why the cars are wrapped before they are purchased. Bird crap is corrosive. It also depends on their diet as to how bad it will eat paint. It needs to be washed off quickly. I usually never go more than 2 weeks before washing my car for that reason. It is a problem with ALL manufacturers, and has no bearing on the water based paint.

Magic Marker 07-08-2012 08:30 PM

Birds have no respect for cars. I try to get droppings off as soon as I see them.

TwoTone 07-09-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3971687)
Birds have no respect for cars. I try to get droppings off as soon as I see them.

This, if I walk out and see bird crap on the car, I either get the hose or a large cup of water and get it off asap. NEVER let it sit on any car.

Magic Marker 07-09-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone (Post 3972343)
This, if I walk out and see bird crap on the car, I either get the hose or a large cup of water and get it off asap. NEVER let it sit on any car.

I use a sopping wet paper towel. I let it sit on the crap to soften it and the gently wipe it off.

RailKill 07-10-2012 02:42 PM

A bird shat on my car the other day at work. It sat all day in the hot sun and when I noticed it, I immediately wiped it off but my paint is f'd in that spot now.

nstg8r 07-10-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3972503)
I use a sopping wet paper towel. I let it sit on the crap to soften it and the gently wipe it off.

You have to be careful of seeds that'll scratch the paint. I usually go to a self car wash and blast it off with the high pressure hose.

Magic Marker 07-10-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 3974425)
You have to be careful of seeds that'll scratch the paint. I usually go to a self car wash and blast it off with the high pressure hose.

I wait until its soft and do a gentle swipe lifting the debris as I go along. I never drag the debris across the paint.

ItalianLegacy 07-10-2012 08:43 PM

I just spit on it and use my shirt to wipe it off.:D

DeltaSniper 07-10-2012 09:02 PM

Use a good wax/sealant and you can use it as a sacrificial layer for bird shit.

Opticoat has better "anti bird shit" properties than OEM clear.... saved me a couple of times.

Nacron 07-11-2012 05:25 AM

I never had a problem with the paint on my ford focus and bird crap. On all my subarus bird crap will make the paint bubble. I think it's because the paint is all water based now for the enviroment. Is there even clearcoat from factory? The paint from the repairs I got on my 2 bumpers and fender is holding up better than any factory panel on my car lol.

PieceOfChum 01-20-2013 11:41 PM

I have a 2011 Legacy Premium 2.5i with Crystal Black Silica paint, the car has 25k miles on it. I have started noticing a lot of new scratches and chips. The hood has a lot of chips and scratches. I had a 2009 Honda Accord and the paint was very similar. The paint does chip and scratch easily almost with no effort. I am afraid of how bad the paint will be in 5 years ha ha but I figure I will probably have to have it repainted by then.

faded-a-fool 01-21-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieceOfChum (Post 4255143)
I have a 2011 Legacy Premium 2.5i with Crystal Black Silica paint, the car has 25k miles on it. I have started noticing a lot of new scratches and chips. The hood has a lot of chips and scratches. I had a 2009 Honda Accord and the paint was very similar. The paint does chip and scratch easily almost with no effort. I am afraid of how bad the paint will be in 5 years ha ha but I figure I will probably have to have it repainted by then.

Chalk it up to "going green". Water based paints are used now instead of lead. This makes the paint very soft and susceptible to scratches,nicks, and chips.

Funny thing though, you're paying the same price for low quality paint :(

Beanbag Brad 01-21-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaSniper (Post 3974991)
Use a good wax/sealant and you can use it as a sacrificial layer for bird shit.

Opticoat has better "anti bird shit" properties than OEM clear.... saved me a couple of times.

Have opticoat on mine, bird shat on it the other day. I check the car twice a day for it, so at the most it had been there for 8-9hrs...

I poured water on it then used a wet paper towel to wipe it off..

Not sure if it was the crap or the "paper towel" that caused it. But now there's a slight scratch/swirl mark there :( I'll try to properly wash it this weekend to see if I can fix it!!

blongo804 01-21-2013 08:58 PM

It was the paper towel that damaged the paint. Never use a paper towel on auto paint, especially Subaru's!