Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Spc2125 Help Thread (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188927)

spc2125 07-07-2012 11:35 PM

Spc2125 Help Thread

Hello all,

I am starting this thread so I do not have to start millions of threads about noob questions. I will search first and if I cannot find my answer I will post in the thread. This is dedicated to ME so please no off topic tantrums so I can keep this thread clean.

First topic on hand is the two things I need to due before I register my car.
I need new tires and pads+rotors for the back.

I was quoted $450 for the brake job (seems high to me considering the parts cost only $175 tops)

Is there anybody in the Central MA area that would be willing to help me with the brake job. I could come to your house, bring a 6 pack, and tackle the job...

Also, because I need new tires I was thinking of switching to 225/45/18r instead of 215. Anybody have opinions on this? And any recommendations for tires. This is my DD and I have winters so my preference would be ALL SEASON because I probably will not get aftermarket rims for now.

Thank you in advance!

laff79 07-07-2012 11:42 PM

1.) Search is your friend

2.) Post up in the New England regional section about the brake job. There are a lot of guys up there that will do some work for beer.

wurkenman 07-07-2012 11:56 PM

For how to's on your brakes or just about anything, Youtube can be a good friend of yours.

spc2125 07-07-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wurkenman (Post 3970859)
For how to's on your brakes or just about anything, Youtube can be a good friend of yours.

I was looking at youtube and found some but the only part im worried about is bleeding the brakes. The other stuff is just unscrew and re-screw. plain and simple

ruggerheist 07-08-2012 12:05 AM

if your current brake fluid is amber, get super blue. that way when youre bleeding them youll know when youre ok when the fluid is blue instead of amber

spc2125 07-08-2012 12:07 AM

I am just scared I am going to eff this up and it will cost me my life. Would rather have somebody who knows what they are doing, do it.

spc2125 07-08-2012 12:16 AM

Also, I know a lot of people do mudflaps with their wrx and sti, but how about the LGT?

Cool or no?

laff79 07-08-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 3970866)
I am just scared I am going to eff this up and it will cost me my life. Would rather have somebody who knows what they are doing, do it.

Either post up your request in the New England forum and get help or take it to a mechanic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 3970874)
Also, I know a lot of people do mudflaps with their wrx and sti, but how about the LGT?

Cool or no?

Yes, we do it as well. Cool is subjective. I just installed a set and am still on the fence whether I like them or not. Opinions vary. Like I said before, 'search' is your friend.

Max Capacity 07-08-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 3970874)

Cool or no?

IMO No.

Brakes are easy, you don't need to bleed them unless you remove one of the brake hoses. Which you should not need to do.

You need a C clamp to push the piston back into the caliper and a decent set of tools, also a couple of 8mmx1.25 bolts to back the rotors off the hub.

Some PB Blaster and anti-seize compound.

I'll assume you have a floor jack and stands.

A torque wrench is good to have for the lug nut's. I torque them to 80ftlbs have I put anti-seize on the studs and nuts.

Also put the compound on the bolts that hold the caliper on.

Brake grease for the slider pins.

I spray the 8mm x1.25 bolts with the PB Blaster and put the compound on them before installing them in the rotors to remove them.

spc2125 07-08-2012 11:41 PM

Contacted my cousin and he said he'd tackle the simple job with me.

Now I know you need a tune for every mod you do but right now Im thinking of what my first mod should be. Ive already looked at the free mod thread and the first mod thread.

Im going for show/sound for the time being.

Do intakes give any sound? Make the turbo more audible?
Would a cheap ebay one do the job?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-05-07...ht_4167wt_1270

Max Capacity 07-09-2012 04:31 AM

Search,

Do not replace the oem intake. It's hard to beat it.

Nrw 07-09-2012 07:08 AM

As Max Capacity said the stock intake flows really well and doesn't need to be replaced performance wise. Removing the silencer will give you some more sound. That being said I'm running a K&N and I enjoy the wooshing noises it gives me. You will need a tune when you put on an aftermarket intake (hopefully turbodog doesn't come beat me up for saying that). I'd recommend going with name brand products that have a good following, less headaches in the end.

dr_sharp 07-09-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrw (Post 3972075)
As Max Capacity said the stock intake flows really well and doesn't need to be replaced performance wise. Removing the silencer will give you some more sound. That being said I'm running a K&N and I enjoy the wooshing noises it gives me. You will need a tune when you put on an aftermarket intake (hopefully turbodog doesn't come beat me up for saying that). I'd recommend going with name brand products that have a good following, less headaches in the end.

1 out of 1 turbodog disagree with this statement.

mass-hole 07-09-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 3970861)
I was looking at youtube and found some but the only part im worried about is bleeding the brakes. The other stuff is just unscrew and re-screw. plain and simple

You shouldnt need to bleed them. Also, a mallet my be needed if the rotors are corroded on. I had this problem with my dads '02 CR-v i did the brakes on.

Max Capacity 07-09-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass-hole (Post 3972235)
Also, a mallet my be needed if the rotors are corroded on. I had this problem with my dads '02 CR-v i did the brakes on.

That's why you need 2 8mmx1.25 bolts and PB Blaster and anti-seize compound. THe bolt thread into the rotor and push it off the hub.