Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   20G ProTuned Good news....Bad news (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18776)

BOXRPWR 09-13-2005 07:43 PM

20G ProTuned Good news....Bad news

Skip to post #50.......bad news is history!

Well, after installing the Deadbolt 20G turbo, ACT clutch & more stuff, finally got it ProTuned today by Dan at Harmanmotive

here's the good news:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...KEVINFINAL.jpg

and here's the bad news: Massive Boost-creep!

Saw a hint of it on the dyno doing 3rd gear pulls. Tune is set for 19 psi. Creeped up to just under 20 psi on the dyno.

Went out for street tuning using the real-time functionality of the ProTuner software. No doubt about it, the waste gate on the 20G seems undersized, even with the porting done by Deadbolt.

During 4th gear pulls, saw boost climb to 22.4 psi before the software kicked in and shut everything down. 5th gear would be death.

So now, we wait to hear what Deadbolt has to say about it. Every indication is that its a physical constraint that might not be solved without an external waste gate. The fact that I'm catless and 3" all the way back means the back-pressure is as low as it gets. Running a cat might help. But no guarantee.

For now, I'm going to "limp" around keeping rmps under 6K in 4th, 5th gear. Good thing is Dan has a proven setup for doing an external waste gate. All it takes is $$$$$!

I want to emphasize that Dan took great precautions to prevent any potential for engine damage. The fact that we did the street tuning was the "insurance" that everything was fine....or to verify suspicion that it wasnt.

I am very happy with the results from HM. There's nothing they could do about a physical limitation on the turbo. Dan is offering a solution that won't undercut the full potential of what the 20G can offer.

rao 09-13-2005 08:02 PM

Very interesting. I'd make sure that the wastegate spring is opening the wastegate fully. Just a thought.....

sutter2k 09-13-2005 09:22 PM

Curious. How much did the tuning part run you?

Matt

sutter2k 09-13-2005 09:26 PM

Also how is the overall drive? torque doesn't too seem bad around 3000rpm.
much lag?

rodan 09-13-2005 09:40 PM

Looks like the numbers went up a little after I left. Nice!
Also looks like external wastegates are part of the plan for much over 300hp.

Did you shelve the plans for the race gas tune due to the boost creep?

nendo 09-13-2005 09:55 PM

lookin good, solid numbers

BOXRPWR 09-13-2005 10:27 PM

Rob - will share your info with Dan

Matt - paid HM's advertised rate $500

No real opportunity for "driveability" observations. The ACT clutch feels great. I can tell that tremendous power is lurking there. My boost gauge responds WAY MORE QUICKLY than it did with the stocker. There is a hint of lag. But the wait is well worth it!

Deadbolt 09-14-2005 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXRPWR
BE CAREFUL! Boost creep is almost certain.

Uh.... no it isn't. You are the first person to report this out of 33 of these turbos being built.

Have not seen a contact from you yet, another customer sent us a link to this thread. If you want us to get int ouch with us or have Dan get in touch with us we will gladly try to help diagnose it, or you can have Dan send it back here and we will figure out the problem and rectify it.

scans007 09-14-2005 05:28 AM

^ Wow props, company posts before the user asks.......impressive :D

I'm sure BOXER wants all his facts, and test some stuff before he contacts you guys......I know that's what I'd do so we'd have a starting point

Def curious to know what the problem is....and I'm go'n FMIC and Bigger turbo next week

rao 09-14-2005 05:35 AM

Deadbolt is first class. I am sure they and Harman will sort it out.

TSi+WRX 09-14-2005 06:49 AM

Damn impressive! :eek:

Good luck on the creep issue, +1 w/rao.

BOXRPWR 09-14-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt
Uh.... no it isn't. You are the first person to report this out of 33 of these turbos being built.

Have not seen a contact from you yet, another customer sent us a link to this thread. If you want us to get int ouch with us or have Dan get in touch with us we will gladly try to help diagnose it, or you can have Dan send it back here and we will figure out the problem and rectify it.

Dan will be contacting you first thing today. It was after 5 PM West coast time (8 PM in your neck of the woods) when we verified the boost creep problem.

I posted up exactly as things appeared and were explained to me. I will be the FIRST to acknowledge Deadbolts' customer-service once we resolve this problem.

Curious, of the 33 turbos "being built", how many are actually on Legacies? I know not every Legacy enthusiast is a member of this board, but I would expect 90% of them to be. I believe that I've only read about 3 or 4 others with installed 20Gs. Of those, how many are running fully catless 3" exhausts that minimize back-pressure and can contribute to boost creep? The only other 20G that HM has installed had a stock catback that has much higher back pressure.

sleepin gt 09-14-2005 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadbolt

Wouldn't expect any less guys :)

I'll give you a call later today, I'm sure we'll figure something out. This turbo is just awesome!

Regards,

Dan

Th3Franz 09-14-2005 10:55 AM

+1 for external wastegate.. :)

Zeus 09-14-2005 11:00 AM

Back off the wastegate actuator adjustment one full turn... esp if the Deadbolt turbo comes with a higher rate wastegate spring.