Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   UK / Europe (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   French 2005 Legacy wagon (BP) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187704)

SSM 06-16-2012 01:39 PM

French 2005 Legacy wagon (BP)

As I said in my presentation, Subaru is definitely not a huge brand on the French market, which is dominated by diesel powered car from France, Japan and Germany. However, Subaru is known for the Impreza, thanks to the WRC fame, but other models are completely unknown and very rarely seen.

I mostly discovered Subaru when I lived for 6 months in Colorado (that was 10 years ago). I saw lots and lots of Outbacks and suddenly knew that Imprezas were only a fraction of what Subaru makes. And after a couple trip back to Colorado, I grew a soft spot for Outbacks.

On the French market, Subaru has a moderate success with both the Impreza and the Forester, for completely different reasons. Outback is the third most popular model, especially in rural or mountain areas. Legacys are rare. Very rare.

Last year, a friend found a 2005 Legacy wagon. I loved the car immediately, it remembered me of Colorado. This year, my friend moved to Japan and had to sell the Legacy. Long story short, I got the car without much thinking and I've been the owner of a 2005 Legacy since early April. Here she is:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7234/7...7588b75c54.jpg
(bigger picture here)

It is the entry level for the 2005 Legacy: 2.0L engine, no turbo, 138hp. It runs on LPG, which was a stock option on the car. Given the price of gasoline this side of the Atlantic, LPG makes owning a Legacy as cheap as my previous diesel powered station wagon. And the Legacy is definitely more fun!

After almost 7000km, I'm definitely pleased with the car and will hopefully be able to keep it for a couple years. It will see a lot of road trips around Europe, haul more bikes per year than most cars do in a lifetime and also be used as my commuter (boring, I know).

I'm already thinking about a few mods, but I'll tell you about them (and ask questions) another time. ;)

Giffle 06-17-2012 07:35 AM

Bienvenu dans ce forum ;)

That generation of Legacy Wagon is the nicest of all and they are what they look like: sporty.

Lucky you are, not to have the unreliable EJ25 under the hood. This engine has a lot of trouble in Canada including head gasket leak and piston slap. Nevertheless, I like my BH. You 'll like your BP.

Manchito 06-17-2012 10:43 AM

Bienvenue!

SSM 07-28-2012 03:14 PM

First problem with the car, squeaky noise when starting the car and until it is hot. A/C clutch seems to be the problem, it wobbles a bit when idling. A/C works fine and belts are new, so I suspect the clutch bearing is dying.

I have a Denso compressor and clutch with the following references:
- Compressor: 447260-7940
- Clutch: 247300-3200

Anyone knows the reference for the clutch bearing?

Giffle 07-28-2012 03:42 PM

It could be a loose belt. I would try tighten the belts first.

SSM 07-29-2012 02:08 AM

Already checked, belt tension is correct.

SubOperator 03-16-2013 01:07 PM

any updates?

SSM 07-22-2013 04:17 PM

Long time I visited here, but yes, the car has been updated!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2869/9...d954f785fa.jpg
(bigger picture Updated Legacy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

In early February, I had a close-call and hit a rim quite hard on a curb after sliding on an icy road. :(

So I've searched for replacements and bought some UK 17 in decent shape to put my summer tires on. I was searching for some in dark color, the bronze one from the UK 17 was not my favorite, but it's growing on me. I may have them repainted at some point, but they'll make a few years this way.

The rims I bought with the cars will probably be repaired / restored. Not sure which color I would go for. Silver is OK, after all, and a good change from the bronze of the UK 17.

The other major addition is the roof rack. I would have loved to go the Yakima way, but the roof of the Euro Legacy is different from the US one. I could have gone for a complete Thule rack, but I wanted something more original. So I chose flashy orange RockyMounts bike racks (Euro PitchForks) on Mont Blanc aero bars.

The only thing missing on the roof rack is a fairing. I want an Inno one, but can't find a US shop which sends in Europe.

About other mods, I have nothing planned for the engine. I'd love to get more torque, but I'm afraid I can't do much on the engine. LPG does make it difficult if not impossible to modify. I have to investigate that field a bit though.

On the exterior, I 'm thinking of rear-view mirrors in black and some new darker headlights. If that's possible, mounting fog lights would be good. Not that I need them often, but... And I'd also love to change my scratched bumpers for new ones and repaint the car (it's an other level of cash, though).

But I think the next move will be to have a Parrot system plugged onto the original stereo. Or any other equivalent system.

38.000km in 15 months so far and loving it! :cool: