Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Paint (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187437)

jsf721 06-12-2012 05:52 AM

Paint

Can people chime in on the quality of the paint on the newest 2012 Subaru Lagacy's? We all have owned other cars and I was wondering how the nose cone and areas behind the wheels stands up to the daily drive at highway speeds and winter months. SOme are better then others at fending off the road rash damage.

Thanks!

The reason for the question is I am considering clear filming these areas.

Slider 06-12-2012 06:16 AM

I can't say I've ever seen someone state that Subaru paint is top notch.

I've had three Subarus now, the paint has sucked on all three. Easy to chip compared to an Acura I've owned previously and to the 4runner I have now.

RailKill 06-12-2012 06:20 AM

The paint quality is definitely not the greatest. Do the clear film. Many people on here have done it without any regrets.

minuccims 06-12-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RailKill (Post 3934344)
The paint quality is definitely not the greatest. Do the clear film. Many people on here have done it without any regrets.

Agree. Clear film should be your first mod. No regrets. 2.5 years later, there is a very slight discoloration but paint is intact. If I did it again, would add more in front of the rear wheel well.

faded-a-fool 06-12-2012 12:50 PM

Water based paint instead of lead based could be the culprit. It's the drawback of going green.

Jsmith 06-12-2012 10:51 PM

Paint flat out sucks. Came off when a cardboard box I was loading into the back seat RUBBED against it. Still love the thing though.

Bdog22 06-13-2012 06:04 AM

Paint stinks, already have chips on the hood and by the windshield. It has me thinking about the clear film...

Dr. Color Chip is next on my order list of things.

TTG 06-13-2012 06:08 AM

Had clear film done a day after delivery...... After 10K miles, she still looks brand new..... Clearly....no chips.....

Make sure to the get the rocker panels covered as well.

Magic Marker 06-13-2012 09:52 AM

I did the film and it's by far the best way to go if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

nstg8r 06-13-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3936470)
I did the film and it's by far the best way to go if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

Yeah, I'm getting tired already of doing touch ups. Is there such thing as "too late" for getting film?

Ellesedil 06-14-2012 10:38 AM

Why would there be? If your paint is currently in good shape, it's worth protecting. When I picked up my LGT, it had a scratch on the rear passenger-side door that someone applied some touch-up paint to, probably while it was in port. It was noticeable enough for me to find it pretty quickly. The dealer is going to get it blended out and once that's done, I'm putting film on every high-contact surface.

No1SubaruOwnerInTheWorld 06-14-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsf721 (Post 3934320)
Can people chime in on the quality of the paint on the newest 2012 Subaru Lagacy's? We all have owned other cars and I was wondering how the nose cone and areas behind the wheels stands up to the daily drive at highway speeds and winter months. SOme are better then others at fending off the road rash damage.

Thanks!

The reason for the question is I am considering clear filming these areas.

It is REALLY REALLY bad the paint chips all the way down to the metal and flakes off.

You will want to spend $1000 to have as much of the car covered as possible.

I had rust spots within the first few months of ownership. Repainted half the car and covered it in rubber.

nstg8r 06-14-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3936470)

This question is for you and RailKill.

What product did you use and where did you get it done. I found an Xpel dealer on their website located in Saddle Brook (Clear Image) which isn't too far away from me.

Magic Marker 06-15-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstg8r (Post 3939277)
This question is for you and RailKill.

What product did you use and where did you get it done. I found an Xpel dealer on their website located in Saddle Brook (Clear Image) which isn't too far away from me.

Xpel.

Lee Berbs in Kenilworth,NJ did it for me. Check him out. Tell him Jeff sent you. He's done three cars for us.

http://www.facebook.com/leeberbs

nstg8r 06-15-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Marker (Post 3939481)
Xpel.

Lee Berbs in Kenilworth,NJ did it for me. Check him out. Tell him Jeff sent you. He's done three cars for us.

http://www.facebook.com/leeberbs

2nd question,

How long does it take? Leaving it overnight is not an option if I have to travel that far.