Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic/Electronic (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   LED signal flasher with built-in Tap Turn (triple blink) convenience (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187325)

scottmcphee 06-10-2012 11:08 AM

BEST ever LED signal flasher with built-in Tap Turn (triple blink) convenience

This thread below describes the origins of TapTurn and the design process that addresses previous shortcomings and adds totally new features like programmability.. Follow the history of its development in this thread. Thanks for the all input and support if you were part of the design process and for your patience while this was getting off the ground!

Cheers,
Scott
AutoWindow.com

***** UPDATED *****
A totally new and modern TapTurn is now available as a product! This is the best flasher relay you can buy for your car, adds tons of new function and solves many issues when upgrading to LED signal lights. Works with all LED packages offered by the many reputable vendors on this forum, LEDs you've already got, or plan to get. But you don't need LED signals to enjoy TapTurn - it makes better use of regular bulbs too!

TapTurn is a simple plug-and-play flasher relay upgrade that adds convenience signaling. Tapping the signal stalk gives you 3 blinks (or more) in that direction and then self-cancels. Almost all new cars seem to have this feature but for some reason was forgotten on some. TapTurn was born primarily to solve a problem of omission - every car should have convenience signaling nowadays!

TapTurn looks like a stock flasher and has the same exact fit connector:
http://www3.telus.net/s_mcphee/tapturn1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/s_mcphee/tapturn2.jpg

Convenience signaling is just the start of what TapTurn does. It's a bit crazy what other fun and flexible features have been packed into this flasher that you can discover and use... The microprocessor based design has removed limits of what this flasher can do for your car!

Check out highlights of what TapTurn offers:
  • Tap-to-signal gives a certain number of blinks and then stops. Or engage the stalk as you would normally for constant blinking. Use what you need when you want.
  • Tap-to-cancel this cancels a tap series early if you don't want all blinks to finish. Surprisingly, many new vehicles with built-in convenience signaling lack this feature and you have to wait it out no matter what!
  • User programmable blink count setting lets you adjust from 3 (default) to 6 blinks. The change is made using the signal stalk while the car is parked, takes only a few seconds.
  • Additional hazard flasher modes accessed by using the signal stalk when the hazard switch is turned on, as follows:
    • wig-wag shows alternating side-to-side flashing, by moving the signal stalk right with hazards on.
    • slow-motion 4-way is like regular hazards, but at half speed, done by moving the signal stalk left.
    • normal 4-way flashing, is what you'd expect by leaving the signal stalk in the middle position.
    • OK, there's a fourth hidden flasher mode... ask about the Easter egg
  • LED signal light bulb compatibility - any bulb in any socket works with TapTurn.
  • Eliminates need for load resistors on LED signal bulbs... forget about having to use load resistors. Take 'em out if you've already put them in.
  • No hyperblinking for LED bulb mismatch or burn outs, ever! Regardless of what kind of bulbs you have anywhere on the car, you get proper speed signal blinking, guaranteed!
  • Well behaved alarm / remote / lock confirmations that just work exactly like they should, guaranteed!
  • No lazy, short, slow, missing or malformed blinks under any circumstances, guaranteed! You always get perfect flashes. Junk that CF18-xx "LED Flasher" you got LEDs.
  • You can temporarily disable convenience signaling feature of TapTurn (effectively returning to stock signal functions only). Useful if an alternate driver doesn't want the feature, but you do later. Toggle convenience signaling ON/OFF using just the signal stalk in literally a few seconds before setting off to drive.
  • A system reset allows you to put TapTurn back to original as-shipped condition, if things got out of hand with program options and you want instant sanity. Doing a "three finger salute" using the hazard switch, signal stalk, and ignition key puts TapTurn back to original state.
  • StrobePack - this is an option that lets you turn regular hazard flashes and/or signal blinks to a strobed effect (multi-flashes). Very attention getting! This feature works on all the modified hazard modes as well as standard modes, tap signaling, and regular signaling too. Just have to see this (videos on this page) to appreciate it.
  • :icon_surp NEW!! PARKED LIGHTING FEATURES means TapTurn just got better:
    • Directional parking - while parked and car is off, move signal stalk to the left or right position and signal bulbs on that side of the car light up constantly (not blinking). This is a common Euro feature.. and think about it, uses half the battery power of full parking lights - and with LED bulbs you can leave it on all night without worry!
    • Arrival & Departure lighting - after using the remote to lock or unlock car, ALL signal bulbs around the car come on constantly for a period of time. This helps you see to walk around the car in dark places. Timed period is adjustable to your liking, of course. If you start the car, these lights go off immediately without waiting out the whole timed period.

TapTurn installs in place of your stock flasher. Up under the dash near the steering column, pretty easy to find and replace the stock flasher. Just turn on your hazards, listen for the clicking, feel for the vibrations, and pull that sucker out! Unplug it and plug in TapTurn you're done in literally a few minutes and are now enjoying all the TapTurn features. You don't even disconnect battery for this install.

Read about Tap Turn and order from the web site: get Tap Turn.
or if you're ready to use PayPal just hit this button
http://www3.telus.net/s_mcphee/buy-now.gif.

Made and assembled in Canada, ships world-wide.

Check out the list of supported vehicles Toyota, Lexus, Pontiac, Scion, Subaru... you might own more than one car on this list!

tsunami 06-10-2012 11:31 AM

I'd be interested, how much?

FRENCH_FLICK 06-10-2012 11:39 AM

I want one.

al-gorithm 06-10-2012 11:41 AM

I'd take two. What price range you thinking and ETA?

scottmcphee 06-10-2012 02:13 PM

I think $79 would be competitive

winnipegsubaru 06-10-2012 03:09 PM

I'd be interested if shipping available to canada :)

EnduranceGT 06-10-2012 03:13 PM

I would be keen but the shipping might be a bit much, would this work for a gen 3?

outback'n 06-10-2012 08:32 PM

I want

Suscribed! Just the triple tap turn feature for me. I've been looking for this mod forever. My work cars (GM,Dodge) have had them for a couple years and I've always thought it was a nice feature. I want it for my 08 LGT spec.B.

JP@U1 06-10-2012 08:40 PM

Subscribed

Underdog 06-10-2012 08:45 PM

I would definitely be interested. Right now I run ebay-special silver coated amber marker/signals up front, due to the LED/flasher issue and lack of quality silver-effect bulbs (like the Phillips Silverstar turn signal bulbs in my JDM rear lamps). When they are side-marker only the bulbs are very dim.

The tap-to-turn is interesting but not a major requirement for me. Not a deal-breaker either way.

scottmcphee 06-10-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipegsubaru (Post 3932073)
I'd be interested if shipping available to canada :)

It ought to be... I live in Canada!

But strangely shipping Canada-to-Canada is more expensive than anywhere USA... go figure.

scottmcphee 06-10-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnduranceGT (Post 3932075)
I would be keen but the shipping might be a bit much, would this work for a gen 3?

I'd have to look at the flasher circuit of a gen3, got that?

scottmcphee 06-10-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outback'n (Post 3932495)
Suscribed! Just the triple tap turn feature for me. I've been looking for this mod forever. My work cars (GM,Dodge) have had them for a couple years and I've always thought it was a nice feature. I want it for my 08 LGT spec.B.

If you got the stock flasher, I've got a tap turn unit sitting on my bench for sale!
See the link first post.

Darksabre 06-11-2012 06:35 AM

Sounds pretty awesome. Just curious (electrical engineer): what has to be done in the module to work with all types of LED flashers as opposed to the current commercial solid state flashers?

JP@U1 06-11-2012 07:35 AM

Remove thermal flasher module, replace with digital/electronic flasher module?