Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   tein lowering springs on a 2010 Legacy, soo undecided! (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186738)

Regis1756 05-31-2012 03:28 PM

tein lowering springs on a 2010 Legacy, soo undecided!

I kind of talked about this in the past, but im torn still. I want to go low with my legacy. I like how the tein's drop about 1.8 all around,but is that too low? I plan on thorwing just some 17 rota grids rims on it. But then I wonder if should just got with the H&R lowering springs, which lower 1.3 inches. Its also a price difference of about 70 bucks (no big deal). Anyways, anybody have pics of the 5th gen legacy's lowered with the H&R springs and tein springs, so I can get an idea of which look better. Mind you, I live in New England, and we get some snow up hurr......
Thanks all!
Tom

blklgt05 05-31-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regis1756 (Post 3918693)
I kind of talked about this in the past, but im torn still. I want to go low with my legacy. I like how the tein's drop about 1.8 all around,but is that too low? I plan on thorwing just some 17 rota grids rims on it. But then I wonder if should just got with the H&R lowering springs, which lower 1.3 inches. Its also a price difference of about 70 bucks (no big deal). Anyways, anybody have pics of the 5th gen legacy's lowered with the H&R springs and tein springs, so I can get an idea of which look better. Mind you, I live in New England, and we get some snow up hurr......
Thanks all!
Tom

I would recommend swifts since they have the best design and exclusive spring material that only they have access to, but they dont drop enough. To be honest, you should do everything right the first time and just get coilovers. I recommend BC Racing and they go for about $1k. You should also get whiteline's roll center kit if you plan to drop the car by so much. I've personally had tein's stec, h&r, and eibachs and stec is definitely the worst and cause the most floating effect.

Jace2010LGT 05-31-2012 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Eibach springs with factory 18's. Ride is actually quite good for a lowered car. Not harsh at all but definitely firm. I only post this since you live where it snows being slammed may not be the best idea. I'm thinking of going factory as the car came lowered. I'm 31 with kids and need a fun fast car when alone and a comfortable family sedan when I'm not. I've had slammed cars when I was younger. Looked bad ass but was torture on road trips.

Regis1756 05-31-2012 04:09 PM

Thanks for the pic Jace. Thats a good enough drop for me. Maybe ill just do the H&R springs with the 17's still and call it a day!

Appreicate the infor blklgt05. Yeah, I have heard that the teins kinda s*ck.

Regis1756 05-31-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jace2010LGT (Post 3918731)
Eibach springs with factory 18's. Ride is actually quite good for a lowered car. Not harsh at all but definitely firm. I only post this since you live where it snows being slammed may not be the best idea. I'm thinking of going factory as the car came lowered. I'm 31 with kids and need a fun fast car when alone and a comfortable family sedan when I'm not. I've had slammed cars when I was younger. Looked bad ass but was torture on road trips.

Looks like you closed the garage door on the rear bumper! tight fit huh?

Jace2010LGT 05-31-2012 04:32 PM

About 4 feet of space in front of the car. It's as far back as it can be and still open the trunk. I have a parking stop pad on the floor. As soon as I hit that I close the door. Works out great. I park inside and still have some storage room.

Jace2010LGT 05-31-2012 04:34 PM

Do you have a gt or standard version? I only ask because the side skirts on the gt make the car look lower and are available through Subaru.

Jace2010LGT 05-31-2012 04:40 PM

With this set up I can drive the car comfortably short and long distance. I'd leave them on but I have no idea how the stock LGT rides. I came from an suv so the stock suspension would be a perfect middle ground for me. If its too soft I'll just put them back on ( I'm a master tech for Toyota so no labor cost). Oh yeah whatever you do be sure to align it afterward.

froggert 05-31-2012 05:32 PM

another option would be to fit a bigger tire. it'll fill up the wheel well and reduce the amount of gap between tire and fender.

20LEGGY10 05-31-2012 05:52 PM

tein s-techs

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...ck_wheels2.jpg

Jace2010LGT 05-31-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20LEGGY10 (Post 3918869)

That black on black is badass. Can you not tint windows in your state? That would be a great finishing touch. My old mustang was black on black. A pain to keep clean but when it was clean and freshly waxed it was so sweet. Are you using wheel spacers? It looks good.

blklgt05 06-01-2012 02:44 AM

Here's my thread on Swifts, I highly recommend it if you really want to lower on just springs. They are the only linear springs made for our car. I've seen the dyno data at their facility and its not only consistent throughout the entire compression, it also has the fastest coil response which is great for feedback and smoothness. But I think if you want to really drop the car, want better handling, want everything to be adjustable, coilovers are the only way. BC coilovers come with pillowball/camber adjustable tophats. My plan is to get a set of the inverted BC Racing coilovers and upgrade the springs to Swifts in a few months.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...T/P5203188.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s.../P5193170b.jpg

Jace2010LGT 06-01-2012 10:54 AM

I agree about coil overs but strongly disagree about linear vs progressive springs. Linear springs travel at 1 set rate. Progressive springs are wound to 2 different rates. The advantage of progressive springs is in the first 1/3 of travel ( where a street car spends most of its time) they can be soft and ride well. The next 2/3 of travel will be firm so that when pushed they firm up. You should never put progressive springs on a track car as linear is consistent. On a street car I wouldn't put linear springs. Just my $.02

20LEGGY10 06-01-2012 04:30 PM

i had 5% tint all the way around even the front windows but got 6 tickets at 54$ a ticket so i took the tint off the front, the 3 back windows still have 5%

Jace2010LGT 06-01-2012 05:00 PM

I know some northern state don't allow tint at all. In Georgia the limit is 30 but must people run 20. In Florida there is no limit. Sweet ride though.