Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   CE - p0171 - Vacume Leak, Idle's bad (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18603)

kanoswrx 09-10-2005 01:51 PM

CE - p0171 - Vacume Leak, Idle's bad

Ok just got this check engine light, the code means the system is to lean. I think its a vacum leak, anyone have any ideas?

rc0032 09-10-2005 01:55 PM

What have you do recently? What type of air filter are you running?

kanoswrx 09-10-2005 02:36 PM

Haven't done anything for a long time. I do have the AVO air filter, but thats been in for about a year, I can try throwing the stock one in but I doubt thats it. Im guessing as I was boosting on the highway something just came loose or something. Sucks.

firedawgs 09-10-2005 03:26 PM

If it has been that long it probably isn't that. I would suspect a vacuum line. Make the dealer figure it out, that is what warranties are for.

kanoswrx 09-10-2005 03:34 PM

I also have a Uppipe and DP, but thats it. But those have both been in for over 4 months so they aren't the problem either. Very strange indeed.

RobY 09-10-2005 09:33 PM

check your grounding straps make sure they arent corroded or damaged

Kaptan 09-11-2005 08:53 AM

Sounds to me like you are having the same problem that I had previous. Your vacuum hose must have popped off. You need to take off your intercooler, just under the intercooler there is a T fitting (vacuum hoses). The T connector is blue and easy to find. Most likely one of those popped off. Just reconnect the hose and you should be fine. Be careful reinstalling the intercooler as those bolts are easily stripped.

*Jedimaster* 09-11-2005 08:55 AM

Do you have a boost gauge? The hose to the BOV/recirc valve can work itself loose.

kanoswrx 09-11-2005 10:41 AM

I will double check the grounds to see if one of those are the problem. I checked the T fitting vacum hose (the blue one) they are all attached.

Edit: Well I decided to give everything one more look over today, turns out it was a vacum hose around the T fitting. Last time I looked at the T fitting everything was attached, but then I followed the hoses coming out of the T-fitting and noticed one of those was off. It was the hose that was maybe 3" long going into toward the Intake Manifold. Just happy to have everything running again now. Thanks for all your help.

Kaptan 09-11-2005 07:00 PM

I had a feeling that's what the problem was because you were describing the same problem I had. It seemed to constantly pop off. I resorted to putting a drop of crazy glue on the end to keep it in place.

redfly17 10-19-2005 02:41 PM

Would it be a big deal to drive an hour an a half with this CEL on to TDC so John can fix it?

Kaptan 10-19-2005 02:45 PM

Why not fix it yourself? Very easy to fix - just take off your intercooler and you will see the vacuum hoses just underneath - you will also see a "T" fitting - most likely the base of the T is disconnected. Just push it tightly back in. It will pop back out again so you may want to look into a more permanent solution (glue, clamps).

redfly17 10-19-2005 03:03 PM

Well John at TDC is going to have to do all that anyways with all the parts I'm bringing him. Just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If it is bad to drive cautiously for an hour and a half I guess I could do it. Also I hate the Perrin TMIC its a real PITA to get it back together.

Kaptan 10-19-2005 04:40 PM

Didn't know you had the Perrin TMIC. I heard they are somewhat a PITA installing. In that case, you should be ok for the hour and half drive - just try to stay outta boost and you should be ok.

HungHing88 04-05-2006 11:03 PM

just wondering if anyone could help.

here is what i have so far on my car...

DP/UP, perrin short ram intake and perin turbo inlet hose...

I have a p0171 code on today that i have cehcked it, just wondering how coudl i make this problem go away.

Would it help if i change it back to stock inlet hose and stock air box??

PLease help help

thanks