Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Second Generation Legacy (1994 - 1998) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Tire Disintegrates? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185228)

nick.cfrancis 05-05-2012 12:50 PM

Tire Disintegrates?
 
1 Attachment(s)
What happened here??

This isn't my car, it's my buddies 2004 GMC Envoy with 28k miles. The tires are original to the car. He doesn't know exactly what happened because he lent out the car. I'm thinking dry rot.

Has anyone seen any similar pictures?

NewLegGT67 05-05-2012 02:49 PM

What year is his Envoy? Also, what brand tires? Tires are usually good for about 6 years regardless of the mileage or how deep the tread is. However, dry rot would do this even if the tire had extremely low mileage, which is pretty scary.

LosAngelesLGT 05-05-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick.cfrancis (Post 3880382)
2004 GMC Envoy with 28k miles.

Thats something like 3k miles a year on average. Spend a looong time stopped in one place sitting on its tired did it? My guess.

bluesuby 05-05-2012 03:11 PM

Low pressure and heat buildup in an old tire?

laz 05-05-2012 03:44 PM

Like others said, probably dry rot combined with heat. You see that happening a lot to big truck tires.

X

jamal 05-05-2012 06:50 PM

probably low pressure.

stevenva 05-05-2012 08:37 PM

A combination of age, overloading (truck) and low pressure would be my guess. Look at the sidewall. After the "DOT" imprint, there will be a mandatory four digit imprint (such as 3611) That number means the tire was constructed on the 36th week of 2011. Yours could be as old as 2603. No real suprise they failed.

KBGRIZZLY64 05-05-2012 09:07 PM

Called a belt separation... Thats why most tire shops suggest replacing tires every 10 years if not worn out prior to that.

stevenva 05-05-2012 11:27 PM

10 years!?!

KBGRIZZLY64 05-05-2012 11:48 PM

You'd be suprised how many people we piss off telling them their tires are too old to work on...

underground000 05-05-2012 11:52 PM

need more pics looking up:)

too hard to tell w/ one pic

stevenva 05-05-2012 11:59 PM

http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/21/8E7E72...8E56DA1910.jpg

No. 1: Loudoun County, Va.

Median household income: $119,540
With a median household income that is a full $16,000 higher than our second-place finisher, Loudoun County has trounced the competition on its way to becoming the richest county in America.

10 years is goofy. I tell my customers that after 5 they're pushing it.

Stasis 05-06-2012 12:17 AM

wtf^?

LosAngelesLGT 05-06-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenva (Post 3880848)
http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/21/8E7E72...8E56DA1910.jpg

No. 1: Loudoun County, Va.

Median household income: $119,540
With a median household income that is a full $16,000 higher than our second-place finisher, Loudoun County has trounced the competition on its way to becoming the richest county in America.

10 years is goofy. I tell my customers that after 5 they're pushing it.

This is a real headscratcher.:confused::lol:

nick.cfrancis 05-06-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewLegGT67 (Post 3880465)
What year is his Envoy? Also, what brand tires? Tires are usually good for about 6 years regardless of the mileage or how deep the tread is. However, dry rot would do this even if the tire had extremely low mileage, which is pretty scary.

Year: 2004
Tire: Michelin Cross Terrain SUV (Highway All-Season)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 3880469)
Thats something like 3k miles a year on average. Spend a looong time stopped in one place sitting on its tired did it? My guess.

Driven to 25k, then sat for 5 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underground000 (Post 3880846)
need more pics looking up:)

too hard to tell w/ one pic

Nice try...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenva (Post 3880848)
http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/21/8E7E72...8E56DA1910.jpg

No. 1: Loudoun County, Va.

Median household income: $119,540
With a median household income that is a full $16,000 higher than our second-place finisher, Loudoun County has trounced the competition on its way to becoming the richest county in America.

10 years is goofy. I tell my customers that after 5 they're pushing it.


??
:orly:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


LegacyGT.com