Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   parking brake fail (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184972)

HERB5T 04-30-2012 08:31 PM

parking brake fail
 
Hey guys, let me say right now, never depend on that stupid electric parking brake alone. Ive gotten in a habit of parking in only neutral while engaging the ebrake...

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

I am very fortunate that this didn't happen anywhere else than in the safety of my garage!

I do recall reading a subaru "taking care of your car" mailout and correct me if I'm wrong, but it said to not park a car in gear because it strains the tranny? Do you believe this?

Obviously when on any grade at all, its unwise to only use 1st to R, but is it overkill to just get in the habit of using BOTH the ebrake and tranny from now on?
Thanks

Types4 04-30-2012 09:07 PM

I have always used the ebrake and gear in every car auto and manual. It's a good habit.

alcopaulic 04-30-2012 09:35 PM

I agree with the above. I've been driving manual for 14 years and there were always 2 things I practiced. I always leave it in gear when parking unless I'm warming it up in the winter time, and if you have a working parking brake, always use it. The 5th Gen changes the second rule though.

My dad always use to warn me NEVER to pull the parking brake on a car that it has never been used on because chances are it's rusted, stuck, corroded or you name it, and once you pull it it jams and a simple lever pull turns into a hour long project (or 15 minute project if you cut the cable). With a stick shift car, you use it as much as possible that way it is always good to go and doesn't have a chance of jamming. Now with the 5th Gen being electric, I'm not sure if I want to practice that anymore, considering electric motors have a tendency to wear.

PoManzAWD 04-30-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB5T (Post 3873246)

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

Yeah, if the red light on the (electronic) p-brake button/handle isn't lit, she ain't set. I know it's a little finicky on mine. You have to have your foot on the brake to get it disengage, etc.

Joel

ehsnils 05-01-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB5T (Post 3873246)
Hey guys, let me say right now, never depend on that stupid electric parking brake alone. Ive gotten in a habit of parking in only neutral while engaging the ebrake...

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

I am very fortunate that this didn't happen anywhere else than in the safety of my garage!

I do recall reading a subaru "taking care of your car" mailout and correct me if I'm wrong, but it said to not park a car in gear because it strains the tranny? Do you believe this?

Obviously when on any grade at all, its unwise to only use 1st to R, but is it overkill to just get in the habit of using BOTH the ebrake and tranny from now on?
Thanks

Also be aware that there was a problem with the earliest EPB:s that had a software malfunction that actually released the parking brake by itself when it was set. You should check if you have the software updated so you don't have that problem.

There's a thread around here somewhere about it.

nightspeed98 05-01-2012 03:21 AM

Mine will ONLY release manually or if my seatbelt is on AND i press the gas AND clutch released.

CL21376 05-01-2012 06:06 AM

I always park in gear. I don't know why people park in neutral.

Ozzy 05-01-2012 06:09 AM

Same here, I would leave every manual transmission car I owned in gear. Live and learn!

CL21376 05-01-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB5T (Post 3873246)
Hey guys, let me say right now, never depend on that stupid electric parking brake alone. Ive gotten in a habit of parking in only neutral while engaging the ebrake...

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

Re-reading this....Your parking brake didn't "fail" ;)

Bdog22 05-01-2012 06:51 AM

That is why you are always told to keep your car in gear. In a normal parking brake situation there is always the chance your PB could fail which is why standard guidance is to leave your car in gear. This does not hurt the transmission and is just the proper way of parking your car.

DeltaNu1142 05-01-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB5T (Post 3873246)
I do recall reading a subaru "taking care of your car" mailout and correct me if I'm wrong, but it said to not park a car in gear because it strains the tranny?

^ I would edit this out of your post as bad information.

Parking in neutral is just a very, very bad idea... whether it's on a grade or on what you think is flat. Park in gear. "Failed" parking brake problem solved.

TwoTone 05-01-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HERB5T (Post 3873246)
Hey guys, let me say right now, never depend on that stupid electric parking brake alone. Ive gotten in a habit of parking in only neutral while engaging the ebrake...

Apparently I didn't press the button for a whole second while running inside and a while later found the back bumper pressed against the garage door. Luckily it was only a small mark from the garage hinge!

I am very fortunate that this didn't happen anywhere else than in the safety of my garage!

I do recall reading a subaru "taking care of your car" mailout and correct me if I'm wrong, but it said to not park a car in gear because it strains the tranny? Do you believe this?

Obviously when on any grade at all, its unwise to only use 1st to R, but is it overkill to just get in the habit of using BOTH the ebrake and tranny from now on?
Thanks

Yes it will if you leave it in gear and let it hold the weight of the car.

The proper way is to hold you foot on the brakes, set the ebrake then release the brakes.

This is even true for an automatic. The parking pawl is not designed to hold the weigh of a vehicle either. You put it in park while holding the brakes, set the parking brake then take you foot of the brake.

10legacy 05-01-2012 07:33 AM

parking brake on, stick in gear

no strain on transmission unless the parking brake actually fails and then you'll be glad it was in gear.

sounds like this was operator error op.

acumenhokie 05-01-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 3873666)
I always park in gear. I don't know why people park in neutral.

This ^^^

CL21376 05-01-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTone (Post 3873715)
This is even true for an automatic. The parking pawl is not designed to hold the weigh of a vehicle either. You put it in park while holding the brakes, set the parking brake then take you foot of the brake.

I press the brakes, shift into neutral, set the parking brake, release brake pedal, shift into park for automatics.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.


LegacyGT.com