Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Interior/Audio (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Connector locations (OEM NAV) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184310)

winnipegsubaru 04-20-2012 01:37 PM

OEM NAV Install build Log
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, below is a write up I did for myself as I am trying to install the OEM nav into an 06 2.5i legacy.

If you could read the below, and comment on any info you might have (ie if I have the pins correct, or possibly where the connector is located in the car) That would be great.

I was originaly going to pull the wires off the OP connector, but since my 2006 Subaru does not seem to have an OP connector, I decided to pull as much as I can off the clock connector.

I have yet to install this, I have just been doing my homework thus far

Looking at the back side (where the wires are) [Nav System Screen]


Attachment 118169

Attachment 118341

10 Pin i50 Connector (looking from the back side) [Nav System DVD Player]


Attachment 118168

Pin 1 = NC
Pin 2 = To Pin 7 on Screen
Pin 3 = NC
Pin 4 = NC
Pin 5 = To Pin 4 on Screen
Pin 6 = Ground
Pin 7 = To Pin 8 on Screen
Pin 8 = To Pin 11 on Screen
Pin 9 = NC
Pin 10= To Pin 12 on Screen

Once I get this all sorted out, I will work on the audio portion of it.

Hope this helps someone else down the road

winnipegsubaru 04-23-2012 03:30 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Edit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, So I made my full harness.

Attachment 118353

The following picture is of my home made breakout harness (takes all but 4 wires from the clock connector, Which I did not cut)
Attachment 118354

Then it goes down to the dvd player, the white wire hanging out is a chassis ground (will ground to seat post probably)
Attachment 118355

These are 3 of the wires that I mentioned above, these go to the i10 connector behind the gauges.
Attachment 118356

The 4th wire that doesnt go to the clock connector is the reverse signal. Since I dont currently have a backup camera, I opted to not connect this.

I then did a quick test in the car (didnt worry about the 3 wires to behind the gauges for this test) and WOOHOO it works. Ran the car for about 20 min, just to verify that the wire wasnt to thin.

Attachment 118358
Attachment 118359
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, so I have made my adapter to go from the clock harness to the 16pin nav screen. See below.

Just a side note, I still need to tap a few of these wires to run to the DVD player that will be under the drivers seat.

Attachment 118264

I am trying to take my time at this, to cut as few wires as possible, and to do the install correctly.

If anyone has any input that would be great.

Also, there are still 4 wires that are not accounted for

2 canbus wires, 1 VDC, and 1 Reverse

Thanks

***Note: Big Thanks to BigTDogg to finding the connectors to extend / adapt the clock harness connector.***
** If you would like to buy these connectors and pins please look here: *http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...onnectors.html

Edit - November 19th 2012 - Adding connector Part Numbers

Vendor Part Number Description Location
Tyco 174147-2 16-pin Harness Back of Screen
Tyco 174047-2 20-pin Harness Back of Screen

winnipegsubaru 04-25-2012 10:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
-------EDIT May 22nd 2012 --------

Alright, so I install the nav over the weekend. Using the pinout and my home made harness in the first two posts. The only wires that I needed to use vampire taps on, were for the 3 wires behind the guages (VDC, Can Bus, and other Can Bus)

Here are some pics of the nav installed.

Attachment 118646

Attachment 118647

Attachment 118645

I am still planning on putting an 08 radio that I have back into the car, and get the voice control of the nav to work.

That will be another day soon.

ssbtech 04-25-2012 11:22 PM

I'd pull the BATT + from somewhere else. The fuse on the OP Connector is 7.5A I believe, but on the car with factory nav the nav system is on a 20A fuse.

J450N 04-28-2012 09:30 PM

Hope this helps
 
I know on my 2008 LGT I would need to tap two wires behind the speedometer/cluster. I am not sure if it is different for your model year. Also, did you see any of these threads? They helped me significantly with all of my navi and audio builds/mods:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...t=speed+signal

and

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-113589.html

and

http://ae64.com/Legacy-pinout.htm

I apologize if you already mentioned this, I only skimmed your threads on this subject. I have ordered harnesses from the last site and that guy is really amazing. Very helpful!

Jason

J450N 04-28-2012 09:41 PM

Almost forgot this one. Hope it's not too discouraging.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ight=rear+seat

winnipegsubaru 04-29-2012 07:19 PM

Thanks for the links, I have seen almost all of them. My problem is the 2006 2.5i doesnt have the computer thing in the cluster, its all built into the clock. My clock doesnt even have the air bag indicator in it, that is on the headliner in my car. So I think 90% of my connections i need are on the clock harness, but I cant find a good pinout for it. Everything I find refers to the GT's.

I need to find vacation pics for an 06 2.5i not for the gt's.... its proving difficult... lol

thanks for your input though

ssbtech 04-29-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipegsubaru (Post 3871660)
I need to find vacation pics for an 06 2.5i not for the gt's.... its proving difficult... lol

It should be the same. Any differences are noted on the diagrams. I know the 2005 vaca pix are like that.

winnipegsubaru 05-15-2012 07:38 PM

As it turns out, after doing some investigation in my dash, the clock in my 06 is the same as the one in the 08.

winnipegsubaru 05-22-2012 07:02 AM

Just a Progess Bump. See the First 3 Posts.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hoojammyflip 05-23-2012 04:35 PM

Thanks...
 
Thanks for posting - I'm trying to do this with an '06 UK sat nav into an '04 2.0 GT (JDM) I will study your work a bit more closely later :cool:

Dade 05-26-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipegsubaru (Post 3857255)
Hey everyone, below is a write up I did for myself as I am trying to install the OEM nav into an 06 2.5i legacy.

If you could read the below, and comment on any info you might have (ie if I have the pins correct, or possibly where the connector is located in the car) That would be great.

I was originaly going to pull the wires off the OP connector, but since my 2006 Subaru does not seem to have an OP connector, I decided to pull as much as I can off the clock connector.

I have yet to install this, I have just been doing my homework thus far

Looking at the back side (where the wires are) [Nav System Screen]


Attachment 118169

Attachment 118341

10 Pin i50 Connector (looking from the back side) [Nav System DVD Player]


Attachment 118168

Pin 1 = NC
Pin 2 = To Pin 7 on Screen
Pin 3 = NC
Pin 4 = NC
Pin 5 = To Pin 4 on Screen
Pin 6 = Ground
Pin 7 = To Pin 8 on Screen
Pin 8 = To Pin 11 on Screen
Pin 9 = NC
Pin 10= To Pin 12 on Screen

Once I get this all sorted out, I will work on the audio portion of it.

Hope this helps someone else down the road

Audio out should be on the other 20 pin nav connector. Do you have the connector for it? I'm excited to see how the audio works out for you. :dm:

Hoojammyflip 05-27-2012 01:02 PM

Pins 3, 15 & 16 all seem to be be ground and pins 7 & 8 seem to be power - If I connect the grounded pins to earth and power pins to +12v from a computer PSU should the screen come on?

Thanks

winnipegsubaru 05-27-2012 02:34 PM

You should be able connect the 3 grounds to a black wire on a computer PSU and the two powers to a yellow wire (for 12 volt) I do believe the screen would come on. (But I have never tried it)

Hoojammyflip 05-27-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnipegsubaru (Post 3913756)
You should be able connect the 3 grounds to a black wire on a computer PSU and the two powers to a yellow wire (for 12 volt) I do believe the screen would come on. (But I have never tried it)

Thanks for the encouragement :cool:

I gave it a bash...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...v/c7953b1a.jpg

Dodgey connections R Us ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...v/e9eb6056.jpg

I have managed to strip most of the wiring out of the donor car and also the audio part will seperate out if you get the chance at a scrap car... :cool:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 PM.


LegacyGT.com