Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   fast shifting vs. stock clutch (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183549)

xt2005bonbon 04-09-2012 12:59 PM

fast shifting vs. stock clutch
 
Pretty straightforward question: can fast shifting prematurely damage any stock clutch related parts? Is it even designed to handle fast shifting?
For instance, do you guys shift faster than this guy:

Or do any of you shift nearly as fast as this guy:
This guy's car has obviously lost of mods so we may not be able to shift like that, especially without a short throw shifter. Anyways, just curious to hear what you guys think..

Max Capacity 04-09-2012 01:27 PM

I'm just saying, these tranny don't like to be beat on lot. They are not like a old domestic 4 speed.

xt2005bonbon 04-09-2012 02:04 PM

What I am trying to get at though is someone doing 'normal' driving and simply shifting gears fast. Is that bad?

SSpeed 04-09-2012 02:07 PM

The trannys don't like shock, load isn't as bad.... shifting fast is ok as long as you're smooth... I've been shifting mine like example 1 for 100k miles..

Max Capacity 04-09-2012 02:45 PM

example 1 is fairly normal. example 2 is what mine sees a few times a day.

Those are nothing like abuse.

xt2005bonbon 04-09-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed (Post 3838060)
shifting fast is ok as long as you're smooth

^I see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 3838144)
example 2 is what mine sees a few times a day.

^ :eek: wow, you do this every day? So you'd think it does nothing to the clutch, fork? Somehow me thinking pressing and releasing the clutch pedal so fast may negatively affect clutch related parts :confused:. I have no idea though; just based on a gut feeling.

HAMMER DOWN 04-09-2012 03:17 PM

My Sti 6MT don't mine EX.2 But mostly drive EX. 1

OutbackXT05 04-10-2012 12:06 AM

Mines not the fastest in the world but mine sees this kind if shifting a few times a week with no issues.


BAC5.2 04-10-2012 03:36 AM

Neither of those videos are really abnormally "fast" shifting.

Ex. 1 is what I'd consider normal "fast" shifting if you were trying to merge onto the highway or something.

Ex. 2 is only marginally faster.

Can you break things by shifting that fast? That's up to the clutch. When shifting that fast, the clutch WILL slip (even if you don't necessarily feel it). That slip saves transmission parts. Upgrade to a clutch that WONT slip, and that's when loads on the gears increase into the breaking zone.

Is that amount of slip going to cause more wear than a normal amount of slip wile shifting slowly? Probably not. I'd say anything beyond 70k miles is pretty "good" clutch life for aggressive driving.

xt2005bonbon 04-10-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutbackXT05 (Post 3839071)
Mines not the fastest in the world but mine sees this kind if shifting a few times a week with no issues.

Outback XT vs G35 Drag - YouTube

^ nice run man. I would have loved to see the face of the G35 driver..Do you have a short throw shifter and aftermarket clutch, or is everything, trans wise, stock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 3839117)
Neither of those videos are really abnormally "fast" shifting.

Ex. 1 is what I'd consider normal "fast" shifting if you were trying to merge onto the highway or something.

Ex. 2 is only marginally faster.

Can you break things by shifting that fast? That's up to the clutch. When shifting that fast, the clutch WILL slip (even if you don't necessarily feel it). That slip saves transmission parts. Upgrade to a clutch that WONT slip, and that's when loads on the gears increase into the breaking zone.

Is that amount of slip going to cause more wear than a normal amount of slip wile shifting slowly? Probably not. I'd say anything beyond 70k miles is pretty "good" clutch life for aggressive driving.

^Very good feedback. thank you.

Max Capacity 04-10-2012 07:01 AM

78,000 miles on my Spec 2+ clutch. The thing still grabs and shifts as it did 70,000 miles ago.

BAC5.2 04-10-2012 07:17 AM

Clutches typically grab the same through their entire life, until the VERY end. Pedal/engagement used to change with cable clutches, but hydro clutches are mostly immune to that.

OutbackXT05 04-10-2012 11:04 AM

Im all oem bushings/shifter with a exedy oem replacement clutch

xt2005bonbon 04-11-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutbackXT05 (Post 3839724)
Im all oem bushings/shifter with a exedy oem replacement clutch

^props to you to be able to shift pretty fast without a short throw shifter. At times, I want to shift fast but it feels like i am going to break something. Engaging gears on that car (even with my previous outback) is just not smooth IMHO.

Scooby570 04-12-2012 08:41 AM

This might be alittle of topic but i just got a 5 speed 09 legacy 2.5i and im still getting use to shifting. I know i mstill learning but everytime i change gears especially from 1st to 2nd i sometimes hear a clanking noise, im not sure if im letting the clutch out too fast of is omething is wrong.

and another thing is how fast should i release the clutch for a smoother shift. and should i use any gas before when the clutch is like 75% engaged?

It's tough because i commute to school everyday in a high traffic area andtheres alot of stop and go i just dont want to harm the car anymore than i should.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


LegacyGT.com