Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Replace engine coolant every 30k...really? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183476)

miltoney 04-08-2012 07:25 AM

Replace engine coolant every 30k...really?

I just got my maintenance handbook from my dealer and it recommends changing the engine coolant every 30000 miles. I have never heard of this, does it really need to be done that often?

acumenhokie 04-08-2012 08:06 AM

Not sure about the 2.5i but the GT I know uses the super coolant and doesn't need changed for 100k or more (according to the book).

foxrider68 04-08-2012 08:06 AM

No coolant is some stupid number like 7 year 130k or something. I don't have my warranty booklet by me but its a long time. If you ever need to top it off make sure you use the subaru blue coolant not the green.

acumenhokie 04-08-2012 08:07 AM

Here's a thread that says 2009+ is 11years and 137k.

http://www.legacygt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1823
Quote:

2009+ every 137,500 miles/11 years

miltoney 04-08-2012 08:32 AM

Thanks guys ya I found the intervals in the owners manual, you are right. Can't wait to bring this up at the dealer, this is part of their 500 dollar 30k service...f'n crooks

Rutchard 04-08-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miltoney (Post 3836519)
Thanks guys ya I found the intervals in the owners manual, you are right. Can't wait to bring this up at the dealer, this is part of their 500 dollar 30k service...f'n crooks

I'm sure they haven't updated their service brochures since the new coolant guidelines came out. The service department up here still mostly caters to older scoobys that need the 30k replacement...

pillboy 04-08-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miltoney (Post 3836519)
f'n crooks

Lighten up, mister-perfect-I-have-never-made-a-mistake-in-my-entire-phucking -life-and-I-haven't-read-the-manufacturer's-official-literature-that-came-with-my-car.

Trust me, you are gonna phuck up your ride by yourself to the tune of a lot more dollars than the dealer is ever gonna screw you out of.

DrD123 04-08-2012 10:36 AM

^^^
a bit extreme - while we all make mistakes, I think it's pretty reasonable to expect the dealer service center to know the ins and outs of their own product line. The new coolant has been out for 3 or 4 years now.

iNVAR 04-08-2012 11:04 AM

Use a voltmeter and test it. that's what I've read... hope it's not just some stupid thing someone made up.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...lant-test.html
and
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/215...ee-if-its-bad/

Quote:

Want to test for electrolysis in your coolant? Here’s the simple test: Using a digital multimeter, set it to read 12 volts DC. Attach one of the test leads to the negative battery terminal and submerse the other end into the coolant. Rev the engine to 2,000 RPM and reads the voltage on the meter. Any reading over .3-.4 volts indicates that the coolant is conducting too much electricity. Either the coolant needs replacing or you have a grounding problem in the vehicle. If the coolant is fresh, check for poor ground connections between the engine and the firewall and the engine and the negative battery terminal. , Rick Muscoplat "
Quote:

Put your negative probe to the negative post on your battery. You then place the positive probe in the neck of your radiator.
0.2 V to 0.5 V - antifreeze is still good
0.5 V to 0.7 V - antifreeze is borderline
0.7 V or greater - antifreeze is unacceptable.

Lower voltage reading means less lead,benzene, and metals have contaminated the antifreeze.
Maybe just do that test periodically.

CL21376 04-08-2012 11:20 AM

Dealer service schedule/recommendations are not the same as the manufactures service schedule/recommendations.

before doing anything a service writer says, its a good idea to check the owners manual. In fact, if I took my car to the dealer for service I would be specific as to what I wanted done, instead of leaving it open to interpreting "the 30,000 mile service" or whatever specific service schedule you were asking to have done.

Ozzy 04-08-2012 12:49 PM

I wouldn't trust dealer for anything, they just want you in there as often as possible. They changed my oil a few days ago and put a sticker on my windshield to change it in another 3k miles.. Really? It says 7500 in the manual or 3750 or something under hard driving. I'll be going in every 5k miles.

miltoney 04-08-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pillboy (Post 3836617)
Lighten up, mister-perfect-I-have-never-made-a-mistake-in-my-entire-phucking -life-and-I-haven't-read-the-manufacturer's-official-literature-that-came-with-my-car.

Mistake? wtf are you babbling about? Are you implying that the dealer has made a "mistake" by trying to get me in for services my vehicle doesn't require? Maybe, but considering they haven't sold cars that actually required this for what, four years now...I doubt it. I call typical stealership crookery.

Quote:

Trust me, you are gonna phuck up your ride by yourself to the tune of a lot more dollars than the dealer is ever gonna screw you out of.

I honestly don't even know what the hell you're talking about here, you should try relaxing before responding next time, you were obviously in a rage when you posted :lol:

cazwizzle 04-08-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 3836688)
I wouldn't trust dealer for anything, they just want you in there as often as possible. They changed my oil a few days ago and put a sticker on my windshield to change it in another 3k miles.. Really? It says 7500 in the manual or 3750 or something under hard driving. I'll be going in every 5k miles.

Word. After buying 2 Hyundai from the local dealer, I'm done. Their business model is based on using FUD to increase services costs to their customers. I had to go as far as insisting that nothing be done other than what is recommend by the manufacturer. After being unimpressed with the new turbo Sonata, I decided to buy a Subaru.

canadianelbow 04-09-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

I wonder if all 3700 posts have been this peachy? I would think that a member with that kind of post count would be a tad bit more tactful in his (or her) choice of words. I hope this board is a little more friendly than this.

Dealers across the continent have a nasty reputation for padding the pockets of the employees, and thus the owners. It's the circle of life. They need to feed said pockets off the backs of it's customers. An educated customer gets what he needs. A gullible customer gets what the dealer wants to sell him. Think back to when you bought your first car from a dealer. (And every other car for that matter) If the dealer had it their way, you paid the sticker price, gave them your trade in as a gift, bought every single accessory offered at full retail, (plus install), and signed on for the highest level of extra warranty that was available. The savvy customer pitts dealers against one another, gets every rebate available, denies every full price accessory, warranty, and don't forget the refusal to pay that nasty "documentation fee".

Dealers train their sales staff to be con men. We all know it. My favorite is the "NO Haggle" dealers. Pfft. Liars.

That said. When we have trouble with our prized possession, and it gets sick and is covered under warranty, we rush back to these con artist crooks and beg them to do whatever they can in the shortest amount of time to cause our lives the least amount of inconvenience. They are happy to oblige, and often try their best, but there again sometimes stuff happens and you get set on a back burner until you suddenly become the next fire they must put out, and you become the next "Highest priority".

Ultimately, you know what works best in the long run? Stop by the service department to make your appointment for your routine service, and bring your favorite service writer a coffee and a muffin. They remember the little things, and will take that extra step to make sure you don't fall through the cracks. And try your best not to scream at them when bad things happen. Being an A$$ gets you nowhere.

It's a circle.

10legacy 04-09-2012 04:45 AM

everybody calm down. it's just coolant and it doesn't get replaced for a really long time.