Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   the official my wife is crazy and I'm going to leave her soon mod list... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182869)

SSpeed 03-30-2012 08:22 AM

the official my wife is crazy and I'm going to leave her soon mod list...

So, I need help here, not with the wife, I think that situation is beyond help. I sold my fast DSM to buy the wife a wedding ring, that's pretty much failed, so now it's time to think about upgrading the LGT more. If nothing else it will by symbolic. I've liked the power output, but it's never really felt that fast.

Here's what I have on my current setup:

- BNR 16g/VF40 (evo3 variant)
- Cryo tune
- PTP turbo blanket
- One step colder plugs
- Grimmspeed crossover pipe
- Ported my own manifolds to match, just at the crossover pipe attachments
- STI uppipe
- Cobb catted downpipe cut to 3in flange (otherwise it narrows)
- AVO mid/Y-pipe cut to 3in flange (otherwise it narrows)
- Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
- Stock mufflers
- Stock intake and filter
- ProcessWest intercooler
- Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
- Autospeed external IC spray system that sprays when a set injector duty cycle and delta between ambient and back of IC temps are met

Not really power, but factors in...
- ACT streetlite flywheel
- Southbend stage3 organic clutch
- Poly bushings all around up front

Here's what I've considered, remember I'm at altitude so the same considerations are quite a bit different than sea level.

I considered an FP HTA68, but Legend only made 60 more hp on e85 than I did on 91 (my new number is 271hp). http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-140671.html Considering I could probably get close to 300hp on e85, jumping to an HTA68 would only get me about 30hp, not worth the expense.

So what then? An FPGreen? Besides injectors, I'd need to delete TGVs and do a new inlet for 3". What injectors are safe for a Green and e85 at 5200'?

Here's what I'm considering:
FPGreen - internally gated with a higher pressure wastegate
TGV deletes
AMR hard inlet
Injectors (not sure which)

And then because I've never been particular either way to the boxer rumble:
Equal length headers (which are the least problematic long-term, not looking cheap, I want quality)
Borla mufflers

Any other thoughts? Yeah yeah yeah, spend that time and energy with the wife and it wouldn't fail... Believe me I've heard all that before and will totally accept blame that it's "all my fault", so let's move on... :)

yamen.dannan93 03-30-2012 08:25 AM

i Dun know why, But Am LMAO after reading ur post :D

Hoojammyflip 03-30-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed (Post 3823113)
...Any other thoughts? Yeah yeah yeah, spend that time and energy with the wife and it wouldn't fail... Believe me I've heard all that before and will totally accept blame that it's "all my fault", so let's move on... :)

:lol:

Much as we like to kid ourselves - girls aren't really into fast cars... :p

SSpeed 03-30-2012 08:29 AM

Yeah, she was actually supportive of it, she bought me the turbo for our anniversary one year. She didn't understand supporting mods, but if you're not in to cars who would?

She's a cool chick and some times we got along great, other times it's like fire and ice though. Unfortunately those fire and ice times are just as frequent as the good times, but I digress...

SSpeed 03-30-2012 08:32 AM

Another thought, I could just do injectors first and go to e85. That would placate my need for power for a bit. Then I'd have the supporting mods in place for something bigger when ready.

With TGVs gone, I need top feeds correct?

mr.hicksta 03-30-2012 08:32 AM

:lol:

You are a bold, bold man. Very nice mod list to! Are you going with the Aeromotive because of e85?

SSpeed 03-30-2012 08:35 AM

My AVO pump died and AVO fell off the earth when I was trying to get it warrantied. I've had lots of luck with Aeromotive in the past and my faith in the AVO was lost.

I had put the stock pump back in for awhile, but was running very lean on it.

Legend 03-30-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed (Post 3823113)
I considered an FP HTA68, but Legend only made 60 more hp on e85 than I did on 91 (my new number is 271hp). http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-140671.html Considering I could probably get close to 300hp on e85, jumping to an HTA68 would only get me about 30hp, not worth the expense.

'

Not 60whp, but 72whp. ;) I agree you'd be in the 290's, possibly 300whp with E85 on your BNR16G. So the move to the BNR68 would get you right around 40whp. Still, probably not enough of a jump to warrant all the trouble.

Look up tommypenguin's old thread... He had an FP Green, at altitude, and never loved it. He ended up downsizing turbos, I believe. I'd be cautious of going that route.

I posted my new #1 favorite dyno sheet ever from that '07 WRX dyno'd last month. Over 3100rpms of continuous tq/whp > 360... That guy's damn turbo spools a lot faster than my BNR68 and makes >40whp more peak. Makes me look really bad. Simple out-of-the-box FPHTA68 with 2.4" inlet. Possibly capable of 11's at Bandimere (mid 11's at sea level). Personally I would try to replicate his setup. You'd gain over 100whp up top and at no point in the powerband make less than what you are making now.

His full mods and dyno sheet:

TXS TMIC
APS 3in TBE
Samco turbo inlet
FP 68HTA
Grimmspeed 3port Boost Control
Grimmspeed intake manifold
Grimmspeed TGV deletes
Grimmspeed throttle body
Grimmspeed 8mm Phenolic Spacers
Grimmspeed EWG up pipe
Grimmspeed high flow cross pipe
Grimmspeed headers
ATP fuel rail kit
AEM FPR
Tail 38mm V-band wastegate
Cobb lighten crank pulley
Cobb MAF Hose
Cobb cold air box
Cobb SF intake
Cobb accessport V2
HKS SSQ v3 BOV
Perrin catch can
NKG one step colder spark plugs
FP turbo oil line
Deatschwerks 1000cc injectors
Deatschwerks 300LPH fuel pump
Tuned by the BoostCreepLTD to 388whp 411wtq(E85)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...2012_00000.jpg

Legend 03-30-2012 08:46 AM

SSpeed, I'd try to do a manual overlay with your dyno sheet and his (print his out, plot your numbers with pencil, look at the difference). Do the same with tommypenguins old sheet... see what looks better.

Spec B 03-30-2012 09:36 AM

Is that FPHTA 8cm or 10? wow.

And how much boost?

Legend 03-30-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spec B (Post 3823227)
Is that FPHTA 8cm or 10? wow.

And how much boost?

Same questions I had for the guy... :)

7cm! And only 21psi (cryo, myself, and others run 23psi at altitude). No polishing, porting, or any of that biz...just out of the box... It is an amazing dyno sheet especially considering it is a TMIC... stock LGT's run ~190whp here for reference, stage 2's ~225whp, SSpeeds 16G on 91 270whp.

Spec B 03-30-2012 09:55 AM

I really love my FP HTA68 7cm... :)

Those numbers on that dyno/altitude is pretty amazing. How do other FP HTA 7cm turbos do?

SSpeed 03-30-2012 10:12 AM

Wow, those are good numbers... FP HTA68 is still a possibility... I think the biggest differences with his setup over mine are:

Grimmspeed intake manifold
Grimmspeed TGV deletes
Grimmspeed throttle body
Grimmspeed EWG up pipe

He's put some money in to it for sure, but it's paid off.

Looking at the porting that Grimmspeed does when doing TGV deletes, it's easy to see how that would be beneficial. Can't really port plastic that well though....

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/im...tock_600_3.jpg

SSpeed 03-30-2012 10:14 AM

Next question, say I were to do injectors now, with the thought of possibly deleting TGVs later, what are my options?

fahr_side 03-30-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed (Post 3823335)
Next question, say I were to do injectors now, with the thought of possibly deleting TGVs later, what are my options?

I would just do it all at once. Hopefully you're going to switch turbos, injectors and fuel AFTER you've coughed up the data from the PW intercooler swap eh? ;)